Old Technology could breath new life into Restaurants and other close contact businesses...

Old Technology could breath new life into Restaurants and other close contact businesses...

In a Duh moment several of my colleagues and I may have just come up with a plan to allow close contact businesses to function safely.

Hospitals use what is called a negative pressure room for patients who have infectious diseases. These operate on specific air flow patterns, controlled humidity, and UV lights which the air is pulled through to kill any virus.

Several Companies manufacture UV lights to be used above head high with slow updraft fans to kill the viruses in the air. They run about $175.00 and two can cover a room that is 100' X 30'. A series of these lights and fans in any restaurant could effectively capture and kill viruses that are airborne. These lights can also be fitted with covers that open automatically to the floor and seating areas every hour to kill surface viruses if the narrow band UV bulb is used.

Narrow band UV bulbs are safe for human exposure if it is monitored and intermittent.

We can add to this structured air flows so that air is drawn downward at walls and floor level around the room. This would pull the viruses downward to the floor where the air handler can push them out above the lights after filtration. You could also incorporate a High Output Light chamber (these are kind of pricey) to disinfect the air rapidly as it passes through the chamber. These were used in TB segregation wards so that the staff was not breathing the same air as the patients.

The technology is out there to bring America back on line quickly. The simple light and circulation fans can be installed in a day.

It's a bit more complicated than that. For real sanitation the terms need to be exposed for more than the split second it takes to run through the small device. A real air sanitizer will have a tunnel with a number of lights.

Narrow band UV bulbs are safe for human exposure if it is monitored and intermittent.
EUV shorter than 100nm burns skin for a reason. I for one don't want to live in a laboratory all my life. You are talking about a major investment for a business to do all of that. Worse, living in a sterile environment actually LOWERS your resistance and immunity making you more susceptible and dependent within that environment!
The polio epidemic was actually caused by living too cleanly. It began among the wealthy who tended to bottle feed rather than breast feed their infants so they missed getting the immunity to many diseases passed on to the infant via the mother's breast milk.

In a Duh moment several of my colleagues and I may have just come up with a plan to allow close contact businesses to function safely.

Hospitals use what is called a negative pressure room for patients who have infectious diseases. These operate on specific air flow patterns, controlled humidity, and UV lights which the air is pulled through to kill any virus.

Several Companies manufacture UV lights to be used above head high with slow updraft fans to kill the viruses in the air. They run about $175.00 and two can cover a room that is 100' X 30'. A series of these lights and fans in any restaurant could effectively capture and kill viruses that are airborne. These lights can also be fitted with covers that open automatically to the floor and seating areas every hour to kill surface viruses if the narrow band UV bulb is used.

We can add to this structured air flows so that air is drawn downward at walls and floor level around the room. This would pull the viruses downward to the floor where the air handler can push them out above the lights after filtration. You could also incorporate a High Output Light chamber (these are kind of pricey) to disinfect the air rapidly as it passes through the chamber. These were used in TB segregation wards so that the staff was not breathing the same air as the patients.

The technology is out there to bring America back on line quickly. The simple light and circulation fans can be installed in a day.

It's a bit more complicated than that. For real sanitation the terms need to be exposed for more than the split second it takes to run through the small device. A real air sanitizer will have a tunnel with a number of lights.
Exactly what you want is an extended kill zone giving an extended dwell time. If the duration is too short to effect a complete kill all your likely to do is build up a resistant stain of whatever it is you're trying to kill off.

Exactly what you want is an extended kill zone giving an extended dwell time. If the duration is too short to effect a complete kill all your likely to do is build up a resistant stain of whatever it is you're trying to kill off.
That is why air handlers are HO and full spectrum UVC blubs (High Output - 250 watt bulbs) as it can kill viruses in about a second as air passes through the device. In UVB applications the lights have to be properly spaced so that it fully kills the virus above your head. It does not have to kill the virus just make it inactive by killing the links within the RNA strand which stop replication.

My dad used to tell me that when he was a kid out playing in the woods, that the old timers taught them that in the Springtime when the poison ivy was first starting to grow that all the kids would eat the first leaves and in his whole life, he never got poison ivy!

That's interesting, but poison ivy doesn't kill hundreds of thousands nor make you feel the worse flu you've ever had. I'll try the remdesivir Dr. Fauci recommended.

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, says an experimental drug for coronavirus treatment shows a "clear-cut, significant, positive effect in diminishing the time to recovery."

The director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases made the comments about remdesivir Wednesday at the White House after results of a large study on the antiviral drug were released, NBC News reported.

"What it has proven is that a drug can block this virus," Fauci said, according to The Associated Press. "This will be the standard of care."

In a study by the National Institutes of Health of more than 1,000 patients, the antiviral drug reduced recovery time by about 30%, from 15 days to 11 days, the AP reported."

Last edited:
Remdesivir still not a silver bullet.

Here's what we know about remdesivir, the drug being tested as a coronavirus treatment
"A drug being developed to treat COVID-19, the disease caused by new coronavirus, is reportedly showing some promise but there's no guarantee initial reports will lead to a commercially available treatment.

Experts have been racing to find a treatment for the illness that’s killed more than 60,000 Americans and sickened more than 1 million. The experimental drug remdesivir has emerged as the first possible scientifically proven treatment.

Early data from a global study released Wednesday found patients given remdesivir recovered faster and may be less likely to die. However, another study published the same day in the British medical journal The Lancet found no clinical benefits to the drug.

Here's what we know about the drug:"

My dad used to tell me that when he was a kid out playing in the woods, that the old timers taught them that in the Springtime when the poison ivy was first starting to grow that all the kids would eat the first leaves and in his whole life, he never got poison ivy!

That's interesting, but poison ivy doesn't kill hundreds of thousands nor make you feel the worse flu you've ever had.
Where did I ever say it would? It was an aside to the conversation as it came up.

I'll try the remdesivir Dr. Fauci recommended.
That is an old vaccine developed for Ebola that clinical tests seem to show good evidence of being able to shorten Covid illness from 15 to 11 days by supplanting a chain of RNA that renders it inactive after 5 iterations. Promising, for now. That's assuming you get some on the first day.

That is an old vaccine developed for Ebola that clinical tests seem to show good evidence of being able to shorten Covid illness from 15 to 11 days by supplanting a chain of RNA that renders it inactive after 5 iterations. Promising, for now. That's assuming you get some on the first day.

It doesn't have to be first day, but earlier treatment by any drug is better than later as one could develop more symptoms of COVID-19. What's interesting is shorter treatment from remdesivir may be better than longer.

"The study tracked two groups of patients who were hospitalized with Covid-19. One group received a five-day treatment of remdesivir, while the other group took the drug for 10 days. The researchers said more than half the patients in both treatment groups were discharged from the hospital within 14 days. They said 64.5% of the patients who received the shorter treatment were discharged, compared with 53.8% of the group who were treated for 10 days.

“These data are encouraging as they indicate that patients who received a shorter, five-day course of remdesivir experienced similar clinical improvement as patients who received a 10-day treatment course,” said Aruna Subramanian, a lead investigator of the study.

There are no proven treatments for Covid-19, which has infected more than 3 million people worldwide and killed at least 217,569 as of Wednesday morning, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. U.S. health officials say producing a vaccine to prevent the disease will take at least 12 to 18 months, making finding an effective drug treatment soon even more crucial."

[URL
unfurl="true"]https://www.cureuv.com/products/uv-germicidal-surface-disinfection-unit-with-uv-reflector?variant=24009983239&matchtype=&network=g&device=c&adposition=&keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu5_pl-eG6QIV7R-tBh1l3gkAEAQYAyABEgLVWfD_BwE[/URL]

Duh might work as long as no one eats any food

Luke, the farce is strong with this one
You are aware meat packing plants have been using station serilization bulbs for about 10 years now. Are you not? The only person with the farce is people like you who are ignorant of ways the industries have been trying to protect them for years.
If the cook or server has a virus that virus can be transmitted there is no way for uv light to kill it before serving.

But you go right ahead and burn people to death and give them skin cancer and melanomas. Not that anyone will ever eat in your fantasy restaurant

Unfortunately enemy democrats are moving towards a demand to live in a sterile environment. That would kill millions of people very quickly.

If the cook or server has a virus that virus can be transmitted there is no way for uv light to kill it before serving.

But you go right ahead and burn people to death and give them skin cancer and melanomas. Not that anyone will ever eat in your fantasy restaurant

The self-serve restaurants such as all you can eat buffets, buffets, pizza lines, salad bars, sushi boats, salsa bars, and more would have to rethink their business model or be shutdown due to liquid micron transmission. However, most full serve restaurants can test their employees for fever and take precautions so the public can eat there.

The self-serve restaurants such as all you can eat buffets, buffets, pizza lines, salad bars, sushi boats, salsa bars, and more would have to rethink their business model or be shutdown due to liquid micron transmission. However, most full serve restaurants can test their employees for fever and take precautions so the public can eat there.

There is no fever for 90 percent of c19 infections

Try again

EUV shorter than 100nm burns skin for a reason. I for one don't want to live in a laboratory all my life. You are talking about a major investment for a business to do all of that. Worse, living in a sterile environment actually LOWERS your resistance and immunity making you more susceptible and dependent within that environment!
You are damned if you do...........damned if you don't...........

If a REAL PANDEMIC COMES.........and these systems don't have them.........well we aren't gonna have enough body bags to stack the dead.

This one is turning out to be only slightly worse than the dang Flu.
This was a real pandemic that if left to burn uncontrolled would have killed millions. This was handled the best way we could given our circumstances. Given our current information, rate of spread, severity of infections, those who were affected, had it gone unchecked, the number of dead would be very high. There was never going to be a win or killing of this virus. it was going to run its course and the only thing we could do is slow it so we could manage the illnesses and not get overwhelmed.
Nonsense. As viruses go this one is quite mild. It takes the very old and the very sick. Any death is a tragedy but we are not immortal. Sadly this virus like every other virus burns through nursing homes. There is nothing new or different.

Try again

I don't have to try again. You can just sit on your old, potentially sick, creaky arse at home while the rest of us take precautions, go out, and have a good time. I'm already going back to work on Monday to face the co-workers and public (limited contact) in order to do a necessary business in these trying times. Front lines.

Try again

I don't have to try again. You can just sit on your old, potentially sick, creaky arse at home while the rest of us take precautions, go out, and have a good time. I'm already going back to work on Monday to face the co-workers and public (limited contact) in order to do a necessary business in these trying times. Front lines.

Dude I never stopped going out or working, and I had this disease as did my wife

Try again little girl

Try again
You are close. For 90 percent of "infections" there is no fever, cough, stuffy nose or any symptoms at all. We used to call someone not sick, healthy.

Nonsense. As viruses go this one is quite mild. It takes the very old and the very sick. Any death is a tragedy but we are not immortal. Sadly this virus like every other virus burns through nursing homes. There is nothing new or different.

I would generally agree with you, but I have an underlying condition of hypertension so will take the necessary precautions. If one is young and have no underlying condition, then they could get it and experience the worst flu they ever had. Experiencing chills to the extent one chip a tooth is not good.

Furthermore, these people who get it and recover do not build up immunity to the virus. They could get it again and if they have slime on their lungs, then that would be an underlying condition. This is a nasty virus.

Forum List

Back