Old cars suck | Change my mind

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.

Last edited:
I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

64025280-770-0@2X.jpg

Yup, ugly as all hell...... :rolleyes:

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful. For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them. Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is. Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc). Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

Gottcha, man!

Damn those silly old cars! Those stupid old things which:
  • Ran forever on anything you put in the tank because their engines weren't being pushed to the max.
  • Could be souped up to triple their horsepower.
  • Had little in them to break down and if they did, were easily diagnosable and fixable by the owner on the side of the road in 5 minutes without an engineering degree and a computer analysis.
  • Didn't need high tech suspension or disc brakes because there weren't 10 million cars on the road and it they hit a new car today, would fold it like a newspaper and smash right through it and keep right on going with hardly a scratch.
  • Didn't need 10,000 safety features because people back then actually knew how to drive.
While we're at it, damn all that silly old art as well! Imagine, at one time, people actually painted with oils on canvases and turned out dreck like this:

Mona-painting-286486.jpg
iuJppBd.jpg

Fortunately in the modern era, we do it so much better now on iPads.

Linea-sketchrawing-app.jpeg

Ahhh, progress.

That vintage Caddy wouldn't be $100 G, but cheaper. For $100 K, then you better get a show winner. The ride would be different from the BMW which you can't get today. Also, the BMW and most new cars would immediately lose its value once you drove it off the dealer's lot. It really depends on what you like and it sounds like you enjoy new luxury sports cars in the $100 K range. The problem for most people with news cars is they end up wanting cars more than $100 K when they are in the $100 K budget range.

I went in for the big Road Yachts, like the big two-door Bonnevilles and Buicks convertibles; you could stretch out and sleep in the back seats, the rides were smooth, and the trunks could carry more than some small trucks do today, a big plus if you traveled a lot or were in the service. Hot rods tended to over heat and burn up on long hauls, and cost more in maintenance to boot. The bigger the better.

In old cars you could replace the engine if need be. In new cars, a front end collision can total it just because of all the sensors that would have to be dealt with.

I'll take my GT40 MkI over a modern car any day of the week

Everything you said is entirely true. But that's not the point.

The people who are into old cars, are into them for differing reasons than anything you listed.

It's about re-living better days when people were generally nice to each other, when we had standards of conduct.

It's about remembering your youth, and driving your new bride in a Chevy Impala Convertible, White with Red interior. My father still has the photo of him, and my mother, in his Impala convertible.

It's about going back to a happier time.

Now if you are just looking at cars, from a purely quality and functionality perspective.... well yeah, of course new cars beat old cars hands down.

Old cars are of course naturally worse at everything. Handling, braking, accelerating, power, fuel efficiency... and on and on.

Now, if you are asking which one I would buy from the two cars above... it depends. I don't like BMWs. Never did. Too small... too cramped... not a fan of the styling. Not that it's bad styling, just not my style.

The other car, isn't my style either though. One difference is, that first one, is a collectors item. It will go up in value over time. It just will. That BMW is going to lose 20% of it's value, as soon as the wheels hit publicly owned pavement. That 'thunk thunk" you hear when tires go over the curb, is 20% of the value falling off.

That classic car, is going to keep going up in value over time.... assuming you have a garage to put it in, and maintain it.

So... you have to think about that. I just looked up a BMW Roadster from 2010, MSRP $46,000, now offering $10,000 for it. That classic car is going to go up in value.

Everything you said is entirely true. But that's not the point.

The people who are into old cars, are into them for differing reasons than anything you listed.

It's about re-living better days when people were generally nice to each other, when we had standards of conduct.

It's about remembering your youth, and driving your new bride in a Chevy Impala Convertible, White with Red interior. My father still has the photo of him, and my mother, in his Impala convertible.

It's about going back to a happier time.

Now if you are just looking at cars, from a purely quality and functionality perspective.... well yeah, of course new cars beat old cars hands down.

Old cars are of course naturally worse at everything. Handling, braking, accelerating, power, fuel efficiency... and on and on.

Now, if you are asking which one I would buy from the two cars above... it depends. I don't like BMWs. Never did. Too small... too cramped... not a fan of the styling. Not that it's bad styling, just not my style.

The other car, isn't my style either though. One difference is, that first one, is a collectors item. It will go up in value over time. It just will. That BMW is going to lose 20% of it's value, as soon as the wheels hit publicly owned pavement. That 'thunk thunk" you hear when tires go over the curb, is 20% of the value falling off.

That classic car, is going to keep going up in value over time.... assuming you have a garage to put it in, and maintain it.

So... you have to think about that. I just looked up a BMW Roadster from 2010, MSRP $46,000, now offering $10,000 for it. That classic car is going to go up in value.
Personally I just like the classic lines of many of the old cars especially the 30s and the 40s automobiles, I could care less about "happier times".

64025280-770-0@2X.jpg

Yup, ugly as all hell...... :rolleyes:
^ Dope.

Forum List

Back