OC Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study

Ravi does make a good point, it is the state law. So they "should" be punished if it's a state law.

But what's more important is changing the state law, as this is ridiculous. Shouldn't have to pay for a permit to do something so basic. What's the difference between this and me having to buy a permit for a weekly 20 person hangout to watch tv cuz I have the biggest tv? (that's a hypothetical)
Because you can't favor one neighbor over another.

According to their ordinances:

Additional activities. The Planning Director or his or her agent may approve, conditionally approve, or deny special activity permit requests for the following types of uses. These uses may be permitted for a period of time not to exceed thirty-two (32) days. The thirty-two (32) days allowed under a special use permit application shall not be broken into more than three (3) individual times per calendar year. Applications for such uses shall be on forms provided by the City and shall include all necessary information to review such requests for compliance with all applicable regulations.

(1)

Christmas tree sales;

(2)

Carnivals, festivals, and exhibits by non-profit community groups;

(3)

Sidewalk sales and special retail promotional events;

(4)

Horse shows and exhibitions not located at an existing equestrian center;

(5)

Promotional tents for car dealers; and

(6)

Any special activity proposed for a residential district (shall require adjacent property owner approval).

They signed up for these ordinances when the purchased their house. There is nothing stopping them from following them except their own laziness. Either that, or they are hiding something.

Hence why I'm saying the ordinance should be changed, or ignored if it's found to be unconstitutional, hopefully it is. If not, change the ordinance.

However not paying for a permit I wouldn't call laziness. If i had to pay for a permit to have buddies over to watch football, I'm not paying it.

Yeah, the whole freedom of assembly and freedom of religion things are SOOOO outdated.

You can't give a religious group special rights.
No special rights required. Just the same ones everyone else has.
They have the same right as everyone else to file for a permit. They have opted not to do so. Resulting in a fine.

Yes, they are being treated fairly according to the city's laws.

You can't give a religious group special rights.
They have the same right as everyone else to file for a permit. They have opted not to do so. Resulting in a fine.

But is the city applying those laws equally across the board?

I kinda doubt it.

Ravi does make a good point, it is the state law. So they "should" be punished if it's a state law.

But what's more important is changing the state law, as this is ridiculous. Shouldn't have to pay for a permit to do something so basic. What's the difference between this and me having to buy a permit for a weekly 20 person hangout to watch tv cuz I have the biggest tv? (that's a hypothetical)

Additional activities. The Planning Director or his or her agent may approve, conditionally approve, or deny special activity permit requests for the following types of uses. These uses may be permitted for a period of time not to exceed thirty-two (32) days. The thirty-two (32) days allowed under a special use permit application shall not be broken into more than three (3) individual times per calendar year. Applications for such uses shall be on forms provided by the City and shall include all necessary information to review such requests for compliance with all applicable regulations.

(1)

Christmas tree sales;

(2)

Carnivals, festivals, and exhibits by non-profit community groups;

(3)

Sidewalk sales and special retail promotional events;

(4)

Horse shows and exhibitions not located at an existing equestrian center;

(5)

Promotional tents for car dealers; and

(6)

Any special activity proposed for a residential district (shall require adjacent property owner approval).

They signed up for these ordinances when the purchased their house. There is nothing stopping them from following them except their own laziness. Either that, or they are hiding something.

Hence why I'm saying the ordinance should be changed, or ignored if it's found to be unconstitutional, hopefully it is. If not, change the ordinance.

However not paying for a permit I wouldn't call laziness. If i had to pay for a permit to have buddies over to watch football, I'm not paying it.
I don't know if they have to pay for it or not, though I imagine there is some type of fee.

Good luck finding a city unconstutional for having zoning laws. :lol:

twice a week woith 50 people?

Its not about the religion guys its about distrubing the neighbors who didnt support them
Which neighbors? No complaints are listed in the article.

listen to the video, they lady herself says one neighbor was very unhappy with the parking lot atmosphere the events caused her.

There is very likely many neighbors who complained.

these cars have to likely drive arround the neighborhood LOOKING for a parking space twice a week.

This traffic is VERY unfair to their neighbors and these christians are putting a few bucks of their money over their neighbors right to have a quiet street which was likely part of why they chose the neighborhood.

This massive parking lot ativity is very likely beringing the housing prices down in the neighborhood..

Would you reconcider a house you were thinking of buying if you were told that twice a week the neighborhood is flooded with vehicles wandering arround looking for parking?

I kinda doubt it.
Find out if anyone else is having bi-weekly gatherings of 50 people and not having to get a permit and get back to us.

i am so glad i live in the country....my neighbor can fit about 50 cars in his drive....i can only do about 20...so overflow goes down the hill on the side of the road...

I don't know if they have to pay for it or not, though I imagine there is some type of fee.

Good luck finding a city unconstutional for having zoning laws. :lol:

It's not just a zoning law, the article at least says it has something to do with a religious gathering, pointing out religion specifically.

Maybe the article is wrong, that's what it says at least.

I'm not a follower of any religion and don't believe in any god, what if I have 20 people over to peer review the Bible or Q'uran? Does it sound reasonable that I should need a permit for this?

twice a week woith 50 people?

Its not about the religion guys its about distrubing the neighbors who didnt support them
Which neighbors? No complaints are listed in the article.

listen to the video, they lady herself says one neighbor was very unhappy with the parking lot atmosphere the events caused her.

There is very likely many neighbors who complained.

these cars have to likely drive arround the neighborhood LOOKING for a parking space twice a week.

This traffic is VERY unfair to their neighbors and these christians are putting a few bucks of their money over their neighbors right to have a quiet street which was likely part of why they chose the neighborhood.

This massive parking lot ativity is very likely beringing the housing prices down in the neighborhood..

Would you reconcider a house you were thinking of buying if you were told that twice a week the neighborhood is flooded with vehicles wandering arround looking for parking?
Okay, I didn't watch the video.

As for your last question...I'd have a driveway. What's the problem?

I kinda doubt it.
Find out if anyone else is having bi-weekly gatherings of 50 people and not having to get a permit and get back to us.
It's easy to win when you stack the deck, isn't it? :lol:

I kinda doubt it.

I have daily gatherings of thousands of people.

See Dave you win, he makes up a crazy stipulation, I provide a crazy response.

:razz:

I have daily gatherings of thousands of people.

See Dave you win, he makes up a crazy stipulation, I provide a crazy response.

:razz:

:lol:

You're probably wondering why I asked you all here today. Thanks for coming!

The Fromms’ citations say they violated section 9-3.301 of the Capistrano Municipal Code, which prohibits “religious, fraternal or non-profit” organizations in residential neighborhoods without a conditional-use permit. The footnote on the section says it “Includes churches, temples, synagogues, monasteries, religious retreats, and other places of religious worship and other fraternal and community service organizations.”

Capistrano’s code-enforcement department is reactive, meaning officers only respond to complaints. Stephanie Fromm said most residents in the neighborhood, off Rancho Viejo Road north of Junipero Serra Road, are supportive of them, although at least one neighbor has voiced concerns.

“We don’t like lawsuits, but we have to stand up for what’s right. It’s not just a personal issue,” Stephanie Fromm said. “Can you imagine anybody in any neighborhood, that one person can call and make it a living hell for someone else? That’s wrong … and it’s just sad.”

The Capistrano Dispatch - Capistrano Couple in Legal Battle for Hosting Bible Study in Home

I was right, entitlement junkies. She cares about her rights but not her neighbor's rights. You choose to live in a community, then act like your better than everyone else.

I bet even Jesus would tell her to stfu.

:thup:

Forum List

Back