Obscene Salaries Uncovered at NPR

When you make your living by sucking from the government teat, you want to get all the milk you can swallow... Same principal here. However, in the light of the government's eyes, they are not a problem because they are not "fat cats" raping the public on Wall Street.

Exactly how does Wall Street rape the public?

When you make your living by sucking from the government teat, you want to get all the milk you can swallow... Same principal here. However, in the light of the government's eyes, they are not a problem because they are not "fat cats" raping the public on Wall Street.

Wall street doesn't actually rape the public, the public asks to be raped by wall street, and Wall street is all but to happy to put the stones to the public. The public needs to regulate what business Wall street cunducts, i.e commodities, not how they conduct it.

Wall street doesn't actually rape the public, the public asks to be raped by wall street, and Wall street is all but to happy to put the stones to the public. The public needs to regulate what business Wall street cunducts, i.e commodities, not how they conduct it.

That's great in theory. How has all the regulation worked out? How many laws have been passed to avoid this? What are the results?

That's great in theory. How has all the regulation worked out? How many laws have been passed to avoid this? What are the results?

Hard to tell what regulations have worked and which ones haven't, as we went through a long period of deregulation just prior to the collapse(for lack of a better word), followed by a brief flurry of regulation after the collapse.

Hard to tell which laws will help avoid this due to the short period of time they have been enacted and the loopholes, which are there, haven't been exploited yet.

The results have yet to come in. My suggestion was to help Wall Street by taking away the commodities from the Stock market, as speculation has a way of artificailly inflating prices for the consumers. A barrel of oil may change prices several times from the time it was originally purchased, and keeping oil in tankers off the coast until prices go up then letting them dock is a gross abuse of public trust. Only the speculators make out, and at the expense of the American people.

Hard to tell what regulations have worked and which ones haven't, as we went through a long period of deregulation just prior to the collapse(for lack of a better word), followed by a brief flurry of regulation after the collapse.

What are you talking about? In 2002 major changes to the regulations were made, including a boatload of new ones. Google "Sarbanes-Oxley" for a clue.

Hard to tell which laws will help avoid this due to the short period of time they have been enacted and the loopholes, which are there, haven't been exploited yet.

The results have yet to come in. My suggestion was to help Wall Street by taking away the commodities from the Stock market, as speculation has a way of artificailly inflating prices for the consumers.

That's actually not a Wall Street entity per se, it's mostly done on the Chicago Board of Trade. Good luck getting anything resembling reform in Chicago.

A barrel of oil may change prices several times from the time it was originally purchased, and keeping oil in tankers off the coast until prices go up then letting them dock is a gross abuse of public trust. Only the speculators make out, and at the expense of the American people.

Except when the prices are going down and those oil tankers never leave the port in the first place. There's always two sides to futures trading. Stability of a market has a cost and the fluctuations won't go away by removing the futures trading, it will just cause that calculation to be guessed by suppliers and transporters ahead of time and that will most certainly (and did) inflate the price to compensate for the risk.

call your Reps. and ask them to DEFUND these people....NOW.

Media
March 03, 2011

By Jim DeMint

...The executives at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), which distributes the taxpayer money allocated for public broadcasting to other stations, are also generously compensated. According to CPB's 2009 tax forms, President and CEO Patricia de Stacy Harrison received $298,884 in reportable compensation and another $70,630 in other compensation from the organization and related organizations that year. That's practically a pittance compared to Kevin Klose, president emeritus of NPR, who received more than $1.2 million in compensation, according to the tax forms the nonprofit filed in 2009.

Today's media landscape is a thriving one with few barriers to entry and many competitors, unlike when CPB was created in 1967. In 2011, Americans have thousands of news, entertainment and educational programs to choose from that are available on countless television, radio and Web outlets.

Despite how accessible media has become to Americans over the years, funding for CPB has grown considerably. In 2001, the federal government appropriated $340 million for CPB. Last year it got $420 million. As Congress considers ways to close the $14 trillion deficit, cutting funding for the CPB has even been proposed by President Obama's bipartisan deficit reduction commission. Instead, Mr. Obama wants to increase CPB's funding to $451 million in his latest budget.

Meanwhile, highly successful, brand-name public programs like Sesame Street make millions on their own. "Sesame Street," for example, made more than $211 million from toy and consumer product sales from 2003-2006. Sesame Workshop President and CEO Gary Knell received $956,513 in compensation in 2008. With earnings like that, Big Bird doesn't need the taxpayers to help him compete against the Nickleodeon cable channel's Dora the Explorer.

from...
Obscene Salaries Uncovered at NPR - PBS - Fox Nation

You do know I hope (apparently DumbMint doesn't) that $451 million in the annual budget would be like you having a Mexican peso allotted in your budget of a few hundred grand a year.

Media
March 03, 2011

By Jim DeMint

...The executives at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), which distributes the taxpayer money allocated for public broadcasting to other stations, are also generously compensated. According to CPB's 2009 tax forms, President and CEO Patricia de Stacy Harrison received $298,884 in reportable compensation and another $70,630 in other compensation from the organization and related organizations that year. That's practically a pittance compared to Kevin Klose, president emeritus of NPR, who received more than $1.2 million in compensation, according to the tax forms the nonprofit filed in 2009.

Today's media landscape is a thriving one with few barriers to entry and many competitors, unlike when CPB was created in 1967. In 2011, Americans have thousands of news, entertainment and educational programs to choose from that are available on countless television, radio and Web outlets.

Despite how accessible media has become to Americans over the years, funding for CPB has grown considerably. In 2001, the federal government appropriated $340 million for CPB. Last year it got $420 million. As Congress considers ways to close the $14 trillion deficit, cutting funding for the CPB has even been proposed by President Obama's bipartisan deficit reduction commission. Instead, Mr. Obama wants to increase CPB's funding to $451 million in his latest budget.

Meanwhile, highly successful, brand-name public programs like Sesame Street make millions on their own. "Sesame Street," for example, made more than $211 million from toy and consumer product sales from 2003-2006. Sesame Workshop President and CEO Gary Knell received $956,513 in compensation in 2008. With earnings like that, Big Bird doesn't need the taxpayers to help him compete against the Nickleodeon cable channel's Dora the Explorer.

from...

You do know I hope (apparently DumbMint doesn't) that $451 million in the annual budget would be like you having a Mexican peso allotted in your budget of a few hundred grand a year.

You do know do you knot that "a penny saved is a penny earned" so all this kerfluffle about it not amounting to a hill of beans is just so much bullshit.

When you go to work do you want to make as much money as you can? I do? Can you really blame them for getting all they can while they can? I'm sure there are days when you say to yourself, "I can't believe I'm getting paid for this?" Why do peole always complain about other people salaries?

Private funds vs public taxpayer funds

How hard is that to understand?

You mean like the bankers who took $40+ billion from the $700 billion TARP money?

When you go to work do you want to make as much money as you can? I do? Can you really blame them for getting all they can while they can? I'm sure there are days when you say to yourself, "I can't believe I'm getting paid for this?" Why do peole always complain about other people salaries?

Private funds vs public taxpayer funds

How hard is that to understand?

You mean like the bankers who took $40+ billion from the $700 billion TARP money?

The government shouldn't have given it to them. Tell me if someone is going to hand you a wad of cash are you going to say no?

Media
March 03, 2011

By Jim DeMint

from...

The salaries are not obscene. What is obscene is the fact that they can afford to pay these salaries, yet they insist that we need to keep funneling taxpayer money to support them. If they were really in dire financial straights they would not be paying anyone.

So everyone who works for the government should be paid in peanuts?, I understand that there comes a point when enough is enough, like with non profit CEO's and their salaries.

The government should do everything at the bare minimum cost to the tax payer. So yes the government should not pay the same salaries as private business.

That is what's called being prudent with other people's money.

So the best and brightest work for the private sector and the bottom of the barrel will work for the american people? There is a reason that the lowest bidder comes with many problems and flaws, same as the lowest paid employee.

I hear that argument all the time.

Did you know that Roosevelt used to routinely get the best and the brightest of his day to join his administration and work for the government, and he paid them $1 a year when they did? The reason for that was pretty simple, and I am sure that even you would understand it if you think about it.

I would also like to point out that the CEO of GE is currently working for the government, and for GM. In fact, he is permitted to lobby for GM in any meeting he attends as part of Obama's job council, all he has to do is mention that he is going to lobby for GM before the meeting starts. Since the jobs council is an unpaid position, that is not technically a conflict of interest, but if Bush had done it people would be screaming about it.

Working for the government is a privileged, not a chore. After working for the government, it is pretty easy to get a cushy job working as a lobbyist. In other words, a government job shold be a career move, not a career. That way the best and the brightest will be happy to work there for peanuts.

The results have yet to come in. My suggestion was to help Wall Street by taking away the commodities from the Stock market, as speculation has a way of artificailly inflating prices for the consumers. A barrel of oil may change prices several times from the time it was originally purchased, and keeping oil in tankers off the coast until prices go up then letting them dock is a gross abuse of public trust. Only the speculators make out, and at the expense of the American people.

You should educate yourself on the root causes of the financial meltdown before you run around blaming bankers and Wall Street. The whole mess was interconnected, and took the collusion of both parties, multiple administrations, and a series of regulations that encouraged risky behavior.

By the way, no one parks a ship full of crude anywhere. It would take a major financial disaster to make that worth anything. The oil market trades in futures, and the prices are set before the oil ever leaves the ground. The oil that is being traded today will not reach the market for months. If you want to gripe about the price of gasoline, which goes up when oil prices goes up, even though it is already paid for, but does not go down when oil prices go down, I would be happy to jump in and provide some real data about how manipulative it is. Bitching about tankers being parked somewhere until prices goes up makes as much sense as saying that Bush was responsible for Pearl Harbor.

It's one thing to be paid a high salary by a private individual or company and quite another to expect the taxpayers to foot that kind of bill.

I thought we wanted to make the government more like the private sector. In the private sector, top executives are paid obscene salaries, often times for shitty performance.

NPR has seen significant ratings growth over the years. Performance has been strong. A million dollars is a bargain compared to what they would make in the private sector.

It's one thing to be paid a high salary by a private individual or company and quite another to expect the taxpayers to foot that kind of bill.

I thought we wanted to make the government more like the private sector. In the private sector, top executives are paid obscene salaries, often times for shitty performance.

NPR has seen significant ratings growth over the years. Performance has been strong. A million dollars is a bargain compared to what they would make in the private sector.

Fine, they are doing so good, let BIG BIRD fly on his own without OUR taxpayer money.

Fine, they are doing so good, let BIG BIRD fly on his own without OUR taxpayer money.

Did you apply that same thinking to the financial sector? Most conservatives went ape shit when proposals to restrict pay for TARP firms were floated.

Did you apply that same thinking to the financial sector? Most conservatives went ape shit when proposals to restrict pay for TARP firms were floated.

please stay on topic.

Forum List

Back