Obit> Michael Graves, 1934-2015

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Ok. He died in April but apparantly it took Mr. Guntz this long to kick out an obit. It's actually rather nice.

Architect Michael Graves, who died on March 12 at 80, started as a wipe-the-slate-clean modernist but grew dissatisfied with the sterility of modern design and eventually embraced history and precedent as a way to add richness and meaning to architecture. He became one of America’s leading representatives of the architectural movement known as postmodernism. He was part of an early wave of “starchitects” who were recognized and won commissions because they had a distinctive, identifiable style. Some of Graves’ best work evinced a warmth and playfulness that echoed the exuberance of the 1980s and captivated clients, such as Michael Eisner at Disney.

Graves was equally well known for designing toasters, tea kettles, and other household products for manufacturers and retailers including Alessi, Target, and JCPenney. He promoted his designer housewares with such aplomb that he became as well known as the stores that stocked them. His showmanship helped pave the way for other celebrity designers to create product lines for retailers, including Martha Stewart for Macy’s, Diane von Furstenberg for GapKids, and Karl Lagerfeld for H&M.

Confined to a wheelchair for the last 12 years of his life due to a spinal cord infection, Graves reinvented himself as a “reluctant healthcare expert.” In that capacity, he focused on improving products and healing environments for the sick, the elderly, and the disabled, including America’s “wounded warriors” returning from military service.
Obit Michael Graves 1934-2015 - The Architect s Newspaper

I like toasters.

Seriously though- nice info :thup:

Good biopic.

I've served on our city's Historic Preservation Commission for about 10 years. And I was chairman during a most difficult fight to save a 1917 built structure in our fair town. We prevailed. :thup:

And for that, we received a state preservation award.

We must preserve the past to ensure our future.

Very cool. What opposition was there?

Very cool. What opposition was there?
The Mayor, for starters LOL. Totally uncooperative. Luckily, he was at the end of his term.

Then a U.S. Congressman wrote us a letter basically telling us to step aside and let the next door convenience store buy it and tear it down.

Then the out-of-town realtor refused to transfer the listing to our city, where the same realty company operated an office. He refused to answer a whole page of questions that I had, and finally looked at me and said "those are fighting words".
He also refused to hold an open house, so I did an end-around on him and we held our own open house.

This sort of shit went on for five years. Finally, the listing was taken over by the GSA which held an auction. They wouldn't share information on who was bidding, and they kept extending the auctioning period.

I wrote numerous press releases, did interviews, went on a radio talk show. Amazing what the human body can accomplish while hung over all the time. :beer:

That's thuggish and all for one more convenience store?

You know, when I take road trips and especially with my son, I am looking for places that have stuff and not one more little downtown with bars and boutiques that sell the same crap in every town. It irritates me to no end when towns and cities don't take advantage of the history that they have.

Forum List

Back