Obama's ATF releases anti-marijuana gun purchase forms as Trump assumes office...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
The federal government is stepping up its efforts to keep guns out of the hands marijuana users, even as legal use of the drug is spreading around the country.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives long has prohibited gun and ammunition sales to unlawful users of marijuana, citing a risk of “irrational or unpredictable behavior.” Now, the federal agency has added a warning to Form 4473 making it clear to anyone applying for a permit to buy a gun that marijuana remains illegal under federal law and using it means you cannot buy a gun, despite laws in Maine and a growing number of other states that allow medical and recreational use of the drug.

The new language, added last week to forms filled out by gun buyers in Maine and nationwide, has raised concerns that the government is unfairly denying cannabis users their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

I'm sure the timing of this release is no coincidence.

That tells me they may cross reference Medical Marijuana certs. I would think legal purchase has a paper trail too

Things could get interesting

-Geaux

From the ATF website:

Important Notice to All Federal Firearms Licensees

ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record (Form 4473) [which MUST be filled out, submitted and approved for ALL FFL firearm purchased] has been revised. This page highlights the significant changes to the form. It is highly suggested that you review the entire revised form including all of the Notices, Instructions, and Definitions.

All Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) must begin using this form on January 16, 2017. After that date, you may no longer use the previous edition (April 2012) of the Form 4473 as it will be obsolete. The revised form is available to either download or order online.

ATF Form 4473 - Firearms Transaction Record Revisions | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

January 16th, 2017...four days before Trump assumed office.

Penalty for lying on Federal Form (including Form 4473):

Lying on a Federal Form (United States Code 18 Section 1001)
Under U.S. Code 18 Section 1001, it is illegal to knowingly and willfully make any materially false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or representation in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative or judicial branch of the United States. A conviction for lying on a federal form is punishable by five to eight years in federal prison.

Consequences of Lying on Paperwork to Buy Guns | Wallin & Klarich

Interesting this came out just as the liberal but hurt lefties started to buy guns. They are known to light the blunts

-Geaux

The ATF needs to be abolished. When it was on the chopping block they "reinvented themselves" by adding "explosives" to their name to stay alive. It worked, now it is time to revisit the abolition.

The federal government is stepping up its efforts to keep guns out of the hands marijuana users, even as legal use of the drug is spreading around the country.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives long has prohibited gun and ammunition sales to unlawful users of marijuana, citing a risk of “irrational or unpredictable behavior.” Now, the federal agency has added a warning to Form 4473 making it clear to anyone applying for a permit to buy a gun that marijuana remains illegal under federal law and using it means you cannot buy a gun, despite laws in Maine and a growing number of other states that allow medical and recreational use of the drug.

The new language, added last week to forms filled out by gun buyers in Maine and nationwide, has raised concerns that the government is unfairly denying cannabis users their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

I'm sure the timing of this release is no coincidence.

The marijuana question has been on the Concealed Carry Permit form in Virginia since I can remember.

If course, we don't need a permit to buy a gun here. We're Americans.

Last edited:
So if a person is on long term prescription narcotics is that a reason to deny a gun purchase?

I don't believe so...unless you are addicted to it...the question specifies unlawful use. Marijuana is federally a schedule 1 narcotic. Schedule 1 mean of no medical benefit whatsoever.

Here is the exact wording of the updated From 4473...

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.​

The marijuana question has been on the Concealed Carry Permit form in Virginia since I can remember.

It's been on the Form 4473 as long as I can remember. What was added was...

Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.
I'm positive the release of the updated Form 4473 coinciding with Trump's inauguration is no accident. Obama didn't want to take the heat from his base, especially in the run up to the election. So he put it off until four days before Trump took office.

Me too. What was added was...

Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.
I'm positive the release of the updated Form 4473 coinciding with Trump's inauguration is no accident. Obama didn't want to take the heat from his base, especially in the run up to the election. So he put it off until four days before Trump took office.

I understand and agree. Virginia asks about convictions. Frankly, I suspect anyone not convicted of use would ignore the warning, since a conviction would be necessary to block purchase.

It seems like no liberals want to talk about this.

If you are a Marijuana users...even if completely legal in your state...you are a NOT allowed by law to purchase a firearm...and Obama has made sure that this is enforced.

It doesn't seem fair or right to me.... they don't restrict gun purchases if you drink alcohol, or take prescription drugs do they? I don't know much about who they may stop from buying a gun....?

Forum List

Back