Obama's 95% Illusion

The $5000 tax credit is specifically designed to help all American families afford health care.

Thats a fricken joke, I have a wife and 2 kids and I shopped policies for the hell of it, A policy for my family would cost $1110 a month at the least, how the hell is a $5k tax credit going to help. Mccain has the absolute worst idea by taking away pre tax health insurance. This will take money out of my pocket and everyone else, does anyone has a fricken clue around here.

Thats a fricken joke, I have a wife and 2 kids and I shopped policies for the hell of it, A policy for my family would cost $1110 a month at the least, how the hell is a $5k tax credit going to help. Mccain has the absolute worst idea by taking away pre tax health insurance. This will take money out of my pocket and everyone else, does anyone has a fricken clue around here.

Since when is it the government's responsibility to provide health care?

Why do you want to be dependent on the government?

My guess is that health care would be affordable if we could somehow reel in the ambulance chasing shyster lawyers out there driving the costs of malpractice insurance out the roof. Now there's an area the government could help us out in and wouldn't cost a damn.

And now you want to vote into office another lawyer??? And a Harvard lawyer at that!

My guess is that health care would be affordable if we could somehow reel in the ambulance chasing shyster lawyers out there driving the costs of malpractice insurance out the roof. Now there's an area the government could help us out in and wouldn't cost a damn.

And now you want to vote into office another lawyer??? And a Harvard lawyer at that!

I have full health coverage through the bank I work at and I dont want it taxed, I would love for someone to reply to my post and explain how taking away pre tax health care is a good idea. If Obama was elected, I would compare my plan with the Governments and choose the best one, why cant we lean on the government sometimes. They sure as hell lean on me, I have paid over $62k in taxes the last 2 years, thats more than some make in a 2 year period. This healthcare plan works great in Canada, just find someone from there and they will tell you that everyone in canada has great coverage decent premiums. I dont get why people are so against this, healthier people are more productive and cheaper as a society.

I have full health coverage through the bank I work at and I dont want it taxed, I would love for someone to reply to my post and explain how taking away pre tax health care is a good idea. If Obama was elected, I would compare my plan with the Governments and choose the best one, why cant we lean on the government sometimes. They sure as hell lean on me, I have paid over $62k in taxes the last 2 years, thats more than some make in a 2 year period. This healthcare plan works great in Canada, just find someone from there and they will tell you that everyone in canada has great coverage decent premiums. I dont get why people are so against this, healthier people are more productive and cheaper as a society.

I simply don't want the government involved in health care. They are bound to screw it up. Doesn't Obama's plan also cover illegal immigrants? What would be the net plus or minus for you under McCain's plan?

I simply don't want the government involved in health care. They are bound to screw it up. Doesn't Obama's plan also cover illegal immigrants? What would be the net plus or minus for you under McCain's plan?

It would cost me more because now my premiums at work are no longer pretax, I dont care of its $1 more(which it will be more than that) its the fact that its fine the way it is and I dont want to be nickled and dimed. Dont mess with something thats not broke.

It would cost me more because now my premiums at work are no longer pretax, I dont care of its $1 more(which it will be more than that) its the fact that its fine the way it is and I dont want to be nickled and dimed. Dont mess with something thats not broke.

Are you saying that you would pay more than $5000.00 more in taxes if your health insurance is no longer pre taxed?

Are you saying that you would pay more than $5000.00 more in taxes if your health insurance is no longer pre taxed?

No, no way, see I'm not just thinking about myself, I dont need the stupid tax credit, but the people who do will lose, this being the self employed individual, this is where the universal plan will come into play.

No, no way, see I'm not just thinking about myself, I dont need the stupid tax credit, but the people who do will lose, this being the self employed individual, this is where the universal plan will come into play.

Just so I understand it would seem to me you would benefit under the McCain plan as you would receive a $5,000.00 tax credit which would more than offset the tax increase on your employer provided health care.

Do we agree that is true?

I am self employed and a $5,000 tax credit would be very welcome to me so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also McCain's plan has components to create more market place competition that will hopefully cause health care costs to go down which is what is really needed to get a handle on the health care problem.

You might want to Google his plan and do some reading if you haven't done so already.

A good place to start is here

Just so I understand it would seem to me you would benefit under the McCain plan as you would receive a $5,000.00 tax credit which would more than offset the tax increase on your employer provided health care.

Do we agree that is true?

I am self employed and a $5,000 tax credit would be very welcome to me so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also McCain's plan has components to create more market place competition that will hopefully cause health care costs to go down which is what is really needed to get a handle on the health care problem.

You might want to Google his plan and do some reading if you haven't done so already.

A good place to start is here

No way,

Look, Mccain doesnt even mention that his plan would end tax subsidies to companies that create group insurance thus raising the risk that they will drop these plans. It looks like he wants to get rid of company paid health insurance. If i get dropped I will lose thousands a year. This is the problem. His plan is vague and doesnt explain these points. I'm lucky to have insurance through my company now but it may not always be that way. My point is if your self employed and have a family then you will get killed on insurance costs. Your plan will cost between 16-20k per year, how far is that 5k credit going to get you. You sound like your single, if you are and your young then the 5k credit will most likely be fine if you dont have any health issues.

Last edited:
Go back and read the original article that began this thread. Specifically the following:

The Tax Foundation estimates that under the Obama plan 63 million Americans, or 44% of all tax filers, would have no income tax liability and most of those would get a check from the IRS each year. The Heritage Foundation's Center for Data Analysis estimates that by 2011, under the Obama plan, an additional 10 million filers would pay zero taxes while cashing checks from the IRS.

Income tax liability means they got the proper amount of money taken out of their paycheck by the end of the year and don't owe any additional taxes. But that, in no way, means they didn't pay income taxes! Per the examples I've shown, this means that people just pay a few hundred dollars less in taxes. Now, Paperboy, I don't know what your income level is, nor do I know who does your accounting, but something here is amiss. You should already know this, because when you file your taxes in the beginning of the year, your accountant tells you that you either owe more taxes, owe no taxes or are getting a tax refund for a small percentage of the amount of money taken out of your paycheck.

Obama's "tax cut" is really Obama's "Welfare Program". That he says these people are getting tax cuts demonstrates that he is nothing more than a smooth talking, snake oil selling, charlatan. Obama will bring back "Welfare as we use to know it". Makes me long for the good old Clinton days. And the joke is that you will eventually pay for it.

Prove it. Prove Obama's tax cuts will only go to the most poor (working class) of this country and that no one in the lower class, lower middle class, middle middle class and upper middle class will see any benefit from Obama's tax plan whatsoever. By benefit I do mean that they will not pay more taxes.

Past couple of decades or so. I think either Reagan or Clinton passed a bill that anyone that has no insurance must be treated and given healthcare anyway. It costs us about $100 billion a year.

Unless you live in a complete anarchist society, EVERYONE is dependent upon the government in some form or another. Need education? Government. Need roads? Government. Need clean water, clean air? Government. That's what the purpose of a government is: To provide for its people. We're lucky that we get to choose who governs us.

My guess is that health care would be affordable if we could somehow reel in the ambulance chasing shyster lawyers out there driving the costs of malpractice insurance out the roof. Now there's an area the government could help us out in and wouldn't cost a damn. And now you want to vote into office another lawyer??? And a Harvard lawyer at that!

There's a vast difference between an ambulance chasing lawyer (John Edwards) and a constitutional lawyer (Barack Obama). You should learn the difference before you compare the two.

Tort reform, though, needs to happen.

Taxing your health-care benefits is a horrible, horrible idea. Absolutely horrible. What's worse is the healthcare system we currently operate under. John McCain says that healthcare costs will be lowered due to competition. He proposes that health insurance companies offer you a plan that you can take from state to state.

Do you have any idea how expensive that's going to be??? I pay $750 a month for my health insurance and that's only good in NY, NJ and CT. If I go to another state, I'm out of network.

Furthermore, and I love this part, under the current system of healthcare if I'm between jobs and I have no health insurance and one day I wake up and I'm not feeling well. I go to the doctor and get a test and he tells me I have stage-1 cancer. I then have to get health insurance to pay for my cancer treatment, right? WRONG. The cancer is considered a pre-existing condition and I will NOT be covered under ANY health insurance plan whatsoever. John McCain doesn't do ANYTHING for that. Obama's government plan will eliminate that concern.

Also, so many people will be flocking to Obama's healthcare system, the insurance companies will have to lower their premium's to compete with it.

All around, Obama's health care system is the best idea by a light year.

The government already provides health insurance for illegal immigrants. It is illegal to turn anyone away from receiving medical care.

Paperboy, what you don't get is you don't get the $5000 back as a check! It gets taken off of your gross income and then you're taxed on the new gross amount. There is almost no difference between the refund you get under Obama and the refund you get under McCain... except with McCain you get more money taken out of your paycheck. That hurts working class and middle class families.

No way,

Look, Mccain doesnt even mention that his plan would end tax subsidies to companies that create group insurance thus raising the risk that they will drop these plans. It looks like he wants to get rid of company paid health insurance. If i get dropped I will lose thousands a year. This is the problem. His plan is vague and doesnt explain these points. I'm lucky to have insurance through my company now but it may not always be that way. My point is if your self employed and have a family then you will get killed on insurance costs. Your plan will cost between 16-20k per year, how far is that 5k credit going to get you. You sound like your single, if you are and your young then the 5k credit will most likely be fine if you dont have any health issues.

Sounds like the Obama people have you thinking scared!

From what I can decipher you would come out ahead under the McCain plan as the $5,000.00 tax credit (much different that a tax deduction) would cover way more than your increased tax bill. I know it would for me.

As I've said the less government involvement in my life the better.

Anyway, I guess we can agree to disagree on this.

Paperboy, what you don't get is you don't get the $5000 back as a check! It gets taken off of your gross income and then you're taxed on the new gross amount. There is almost no difference between the refund you get under Obama and the refund you get under McCain... except with McCain you get more money taken out of your paycheck. That hurts working class and middle class families.

That's where you are TOTALY incorrect.

The $5,000.00 is a tax CREDIT not a tax deduction. The $5,000.00 is deducted off your total tax bill you owe. So if your tax bill comes to $15,000.00 you pay $10,000.00.

Read the link to the story I posted a few entries earlier.

That's where you are TOTALY incorrect.

The $5,000.00 is a tax CREDIT not a tax deduction. The $5,000.00 is deducted off your total tax bill you owe. So if your tax bill comes to $15,000.00 you pay $10,000.00.

Read the link to the story I posted a few entries earlier.

It says right on the Mccain website the voucher will be sent directly to the insurance companies, so how will this be deducted from what you owe, are you saying they will send the voucher to the insurance company and give you $5k off your taxes? I dont trust the whole thing, leave it alone because its good the way it is. Do something about the rising premiums, My monthly insurance premium is going up $90 in November to $620 a month. Whats Mccain going to do about this? You keep pointing this back at me and I told you earlier that I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about my parents Medicare costs rising and if I am self employed again(Like I was at one time) I will be able to afford healthcare. You are definitely single if you can get health insurance with $5k. See you dont live in my world, When you get a wife and kids, lets see how far that 5k gets you, you will be screwed and you probably wont be able to afford it.

Last edited:
It says right on the Mccain website the voucher will be sent directly to the insurance companies, so how will this be deducted from what you owe, are you saying they will send the voucher to the insurance company and give you $5k off your taxes? I dont trust the whole thing, leave it alone because its good the way it is. Do something about the rising premiums, My monthly insurance premium is going up $90 in November to $620 a month. Whats Mccain going to do about this?

One thing McCain wants to do is improve competition by allowing you to get insurance from a company in another state which is not allowed right now. The more competition the better.

One thing McCain wants to do is improve competition by allowing you to get insurance from a company in another state which is not allowed right now. The more competition the better.

Not always, competition is what destroyed the mortgage industry, too many companies fighting for business while lying cheating and stealing to get it, Mccains plan needs regulation to work properly and we know Mccain is a deregulator.

Forum List

Back