Obama was sworn in three times

BradVesp

Dec 16, 2017
Chicago
I'm surprised there isn't more made from the fact that his initial inauguration was screwed up when he put his left hand on the bible.

Really?! I don't get it.
Don't believe me, find some news articles from that day. (Jan 19?, 2010)

Really?! I don't get it.
Don't believe me, find some news articles from that day. (Jan 19?, 2010)
Don’t get so defensive. I didn’t say I didn’t believe you, just hadn’t heard about it. And the year was 2009, Jan 21.

If you want to discuss you could include links...

I'm surprised there isn't more made from the fact that his initial inauguration was screwed up when he put his left hand on the bible.

John Roberts fumbled the oath, and Obama fumbled right along with him. Roberts didn't really want to swear him in.

My exclamation was to indicate surprise. I should probably get the date straight, too. I'm really sloppy lately; as if I don't care.
I'm just surprised. It's a factual occurrence that there's little arguing...well I was going to use that to contrast the birth certificate thing, but as I'm typing I realize that's just as factual and people interpret however they imagine. I'm just surprised people haven't made a bugger joke from this:

per wikipedia:
Chief Justice John Roberts administered the oath of office to Obama. Michelle Obama held the Bible, which was used by Abraham Lincoln at his 1861 inauguration, as Barack Obama placed his hand on the Bible and recited the presidential oath.[97][98] Nearly four years earlier, then-Senator Obama had been one of 22 Senators to vote against Roberts during Roberts' Supreme Court nomination; the inauguration marked the first time a Chief Justice administered the oath to a President-elect who had previously voted against the Chief Justice's confirmation.[99][100]

Roberts and Obama made several mistakes as they recited the oath. The proper wording for the oath of office is prescribed in the Constitution:

I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.[101]

Roberts had practiced for the ceremony carefully. However, a memo noting his planned pauses in the recitation of the oath failed to reach Obama's staff before the swearing-in.[102][103] As a result, Obama inadvertently interrupted Roberts during the first phrase, stating "I, Barack" while Roberts was finishing "do solemnly swear". Obama then correctly repeated the entire phrase "I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear."

Roberts, who was not using notes, rendered the next phrase as "that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully," misplacing the word faithfully and saying president to instead of president of. Obama repeated, "that I will execute", then paused. Roberts attempted to correct the wording, but stumbled: "the off– faithfully the pres– the office of President of the United States." Obama then repeated Roberts' initial incorrect wording.[99][101][104]

Roberts ended the presidential oath by appending the phrase "so help you God" to the end of the constitutionally prescribed oath, and Obama responded "so help me God" when he was prompted. Obama had asked previously to include "so help me God" after the oath.[105] Roberts then congratulated Obama as the new President.[101]

Second oath ceremony[edit]

President Obama (right) retakes the oath of office from Chief Justice Roberts at the White House on January 21, 2009. President Obama and Chief Justice Roberts stand near a portrait of Benjamin Henry Latrobe, designer and an early Architect of the Capitol.
Much public discussion arose about the errors in administering and reciting the oath. Several constitutional scholars said that Obama should retake the oath. Boston University constitutional scholar Jack Beermann suggested that while the courts would likely never even consider a challenge, he would still advise Obama to retake the oath if he were his lawyer since "the Constitution says what he's supposed to say."[106] Although Robert Gibbs, White House press secretary, indicated at first that President Obama did not plan to retake the oath,[107] Chief Justice Roberts agreed to re-administer the oath at the request of White House counsel Greg Craig. The second oath ceremony took place on the evening of January 21, 2009 in the Map Room of the White House before a small audience of presidential aides, reporters and a White House photographer.[108][109] Craig said that the White House ultimately decided to re-administer the oath out of an abundance of caution. Craig added that "the oath of office was administered effectively and ... the President was sworn in appropriately ... But the oath appears in the Constitution itself."[110] No Bible was present during the retake of the inauguration.[110]

97 ^ Seelye, Katherine Q. (December 23, 2008). "Obama to Take Oath on Same Bible as Lincoln". The New York Times. Retrieved March 4, 2009.
98^ Memmott, Mark (December 23, 2008). "Obama to be sworn in on Lincoln Bible". USA Today. Retrieved December 26, 2011.
99^ a b "Obama, Chief Justice Roberts Stumble in Recitation of Presidential Oath: Chief Justice John Roberts officiated over his first inauguration Tuesday by swearing in President-elect Barack Obama as president of the United States". Fox News Channel. January 20, 2009. Retrieved February 1, 2009.
100^ "Roberts and Obama seal deal, with a stumble: Chief Justice and new president come from vastly different perspectives". MSNBC. Associated Press. January 2, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2012
101^ a b c Williams, Pete (January 20, 2009). "About That oath flub". MSNBC. Archived from the original on January 21, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2009.
102^ Toobin, Jeffrey (September 17, 2012). "How Obama, Roberts Interpret Laws In 'The Oath'". Fresh Air (WHYY). NPR. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
103^ Toobin, Jeffrey (2012). The Oath: The Obama White House and the Supreme Court. Doubleday. pp. 7–10. ISBN 978-0385527200.
104^ "President Obama 2009 Inaugural Ceremony" (Video). C-SPAN. January 20, 2009. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
105^ Mears, Bill (January 9, 2009). "Obama has asked to say 'so help me God' at swearing-in". Political Ticker. Cable News Network. Retrieved March 4, 2009.
106^ Lochhead, Carolyn (January 21, 2009). "Experts say Obama should retake the oath". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved April 28, 2009.
107^ Knoller, Mark (January 21, 2009). "No Plans For Obama To Retake Oath". CBS News. Retrieved February 16, 2009.
108^ Zeleny, Jeff (January 21, 2009). "I Really Do Swear, Faithfully: Obama and Roberts Try Again". The New York Times. Retrieved March 1, 2009.
109^ Mears, Bill (January 21, 2009). "Obama re-takes oath of office at the White House". Political Ticker. Cable News Network. Retrieved February 1, 2009.
110^ a b Shear, Michael D. (January 22, 2009). "Obama sworn in again, with right words". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 23, 2009.

Typical Muslim mistake. They are used to keeping their other hand clean for holding the Koran and wiping their ass (or touching Bibles) with their left. Kinda goes hand in hand (as it were) with thinking there are 57 states.

Forum List

Back