Obama promised to transform America in 2008. That was one time he didn't lie.

I agree with you that our media is the biggest enemy to our Democracy. But who runs the Media? The Democrats. They control the narrative and bombard us with distractions and Trump this Trump that while the country has massive problems domestically and abroad.
It's not just the Democrats. News stations like OAN and media figures like Alex Jones and others have also spread a lot of bullshit and nonsense and incensed people as a result.

He wasn't kidding when he said he was going to fundamentally change the country and our history. I was astonished when he spoke these words in 2008 after the election because he had never said anything like that during his campaign. I got a really bad feeling that America had been duped. Now 14 years later we are transforming all right. Kind of like how arthritis transforms bones. He lied to us about a lot of things but he sure didn't lie about transforming America.

It's pretty sad. When I was 17/18... I thought of Obama as the wise father I never had. I am thankful for DACA but in retrospect, he could have done a lot more. And now (coming from a super liberal mindset) I am starting to see the divide he caused when he had the opportunity to unite us. What's even more sad is realizing that we (Latinos and other people of color) have been indoctrinated our whole lives. Even more difficult to deal with... is trying to convince the ones you care about that we are being lied to. They don't take the time to listen and form their own opinions. This is more of a rant than providing any sort of content with substance. Apologies. I'm just trying to play catch-up with the truth as someone who now loves America and dreams of becoming a citizen soon.

It's not just the Democrats. News stations like OAN and media figures like Alex Jones and others have also spread a lot of bullshit and nonsense and incensed people as a result.
I thought Alex Jones was a good guy? I may have missed something... Please elaborate on the BS he's spreading bc I am trying to catch up. Is this why Trump didn't help him out?

In Obama's first term, he passed Obamacare. And that was about it for his 8 years. He turned into a renegade in his second term, fomenting a lot of racial hatred as well as changing our immigration policy by defying our laws. Biden's disastrous border is just the radical evolution of the policies Obama started, Dreamers and sanctuary cities to be specific. So, if you're one of the people who thinks Obamacare really sucked and only ended up drastically inflating the cost of healthcare, then you're one of the people who thinks Obama was a total failure. I'm definitely one of them.

I Completely agree. We have no true free and independent news. I actually have started watching NewsNation. They appear to be center-right but with some clear Left leaning hosts like Banfield in prime time. Dan Abrams is excellent he makes it a point to call out both inconsistencies by Fox as well as the Liberal networks like MSNBC and CNN.

In Obama's first term, he passed Obamacare. And that was about it for his 8 years. He turned into a renegade in his second term, fomenting a lot of racial hatred as well as changing our immigration policy by defying our laws. Biden's disastrous border is just the radical evolution of the policies Obama started, Dreamers and sanctuary cities to be specific. So, if you're one of the people who thinks Obamacare really sucked and only ended up drastically inflating the cost of healthcare, then you're one of the people who thinks Obama was a total failure. I'm definitely one of them.
To be fair, Mexico fucking sucks. I love and miss my country but shit has hit the fan (unless you're rich and corrupt and/or working with the cartel). So I guess my question is... If we do stop more immigrants fr coming in... Do we just send everyone back who is still undocumented/has been here for over a decade? It's scary to think about because I consider myself more American than Mexican, frankly.

It's pretty sad. When I was 17/18... I thought of Obama as the wise father I never had. I am thankful for DACA but in retrospect, he could have done a lot more. And now (coming from a super liberal mindset) I am starting to see the divide he caused when he had the opportunity to unite us. What's even more sad is realizing that we (Latinos and other people of color) have been indoctrinated our whole lives. Even more difficult to deal with... is trying to convince the ones you care about that we are being lied to. They don't take the time to listen and form their own opinions. This is more of a rant than providing any sort of content with substance. Apologies. I'm just trying to play catch-up with the truth as someone who now loves America and dreams of becoming a citizen soon.
Excellent post! Your experiences would be very valuable to relate to this board if you are willing to share. Welcome to USMB!

To be fair, Mexico fucking sucks. I love and miss my country but shit has hit the fan (unless you're rich and corrupt and/or working with the cartel). So I guess my question is... If we do stop more immigrants fr coming in... Do we just send everyone back who is still undocumented/has been here for over a decade? It's scary to think about because I consider myself more American than Mexican, frankly.
I have visited many parts of Mexico over many years. But I saw things going downhill 15 years ago. The last trip we took was to San Carlos and there was a break in and a shooting at the condo we were staying in. Then I started reading about the gun battles the cartel engages in and how they have the Mexican police outgunned. I haven't been back in years. Yes it's very sad what has happened to Mexico and you are right "just send them to Mexico" isn't going to work once they have made it this far.

Excellent post! Your experiences would be very valuable to relate to this board if you are willing to share. Welcome to USMB!
More than willing! Future apologies to everyone when/if I say something stupid, I'm mainly just trying to relearn everything.

He wasn't kidding when he said he was going to fundamentally change the country and our history. I was astonished when he spoke these words in 2008 after the election because he had never said anything like that during his campaign. I got a really bad feeling that America had been duped. Now 14 years later we are transforming all right. Kind of like how arthritis transforms bones. He lied to us about a lot of things but he sure didn't lie about transforming America.

He didn't transform anything. He committed the crime of winning while brown, and the racist right went into a feeding frenzy.

I have visited many parts of Mexico over many years. But I saw things going downhill 15 years ago. The last trip we took was to San Carlos and there was a break in and a shooting at the condo we were staying in. Then I started reading about the gun battles the cartel engages in and how they have the Mexican police outgunned. I haven't been back in years. Yes it's very sad what has happened to Mexico and you are right "just send them to Mexico" isn't going to work once they have made it this far.
Yup. Along with the cartel taking over avocado farms/killing off other farmers and stealing land. Most recently, I have seen journalists dropping like flies. I suspect it is the Mexican government... making it look like it's some random gang/coincidence. That one hit me especially hard because I am trying to become a writer or reporter myself.

He didn't transform anything. He committed the crime of winning while brown, and the racist right went into a feeding frenzy.
I used to think this too but the division started under Obama. Trump's presidency only accelerated the divide. I don't care for either, truthfully. But the Obama administration hurt us more than helped us brown people. Yes families were divided under Trump but that happened under Obama too. It just wasn't sensationalized. Parents know there are risks in crossing the border. My mother's friend lost her child two decades ago but that the risk you take when you cross the desert with poor navigation and preparation.

Yup. Along with the cartel taking over avocado farms/killing off other farmers and stealing land. Most recently, I have seen journalists dropping like flies. I suspect it is the Mexican government... making it look like it's some random gang/coincidence. That one hit me especially hard because I am trying to become a writer or reporter myself.
Whoa be careful! We need people like you to tell the real stories.

used to think this too but the division started under Obama. Trump's presidency only accelerated the divide.
The fertile ground the birther in chief Trump used to get TV time did not start under Obama. It came out from under its rock because a brown guy ate their lunch and was now the face of their country.

Forum List

Back