Obama grants 95 Christmastime pardons and commutations

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Good, he has done less of this than most, until now.

Obama grants 95 Christmastime pardons and commutations
WASHINGTON — President Obama granted Christmas-time clemency to 95 federal prisoners Friday, shortening their sentences under an initiative to free prisoners sentenced under mandatory minimum prison terms. He also issued pardons to two others, the White House announced.

It was the largest single-day grant of clemency of Obama's presidency. He has now commuted the prison sentences of 184 people, more than any president since Lyndon Johnson (226) and surpassing the combined number of those granted by presidents Carter, Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Clinton, and George W. Bush (117).

Most of the commutations to shorter sentences dealt with drug offenses. The two pardons involved counterfeiting and bank fraud.

Friday's list included 40 people serving life sentences. Most will be released in April.

<more>

i can understand some of the non-violent offenders...but the 15 who used a gun?....one was an armed bank robbery?...those were no doubt violent crimes....cant say i respect those pardons....i would want to know what the reasoning was for those guys........

Forum List

Back