Obama commutes prison sentences of 214 Drug Offenders

Crack dealers are of the lowest common denominator. We are all better off when these people are locked up.

Meth

We are in agreement. The government should get them off the streets as well.

There can only be one lowest

Learn to read. I said of the lowest, and that includes anyone who sells the kind of drugs that ruin lives.

"Est" means something.

So does "of the"

What nonviolent offenses? Nearly all crime is violent even if it doesn't shed blood. If someone steals your credit card number and charges it, it's as much an act of plunder as someone breaking into your home. Child molestation is the violent desecration of innocence and selling cocaine is like handing a suicidal person a loaded gun.

So which crimes are truly nonviolent?
If you truly believe that nonsense it is plainly obvious your reasoning skills are severely limited and you are in need of some very basic education.
When someone commits a "nonviolent" crime against you, you'll get the basic education you think I need. Until then, enjoy your sheltered, pointless life.

Breaking story: He just commuted the prison sentences of 214 drug offenders. Many were in prison for crack cocaine. This story is alarming when you consider the level of lawlessness that is already on the streets of America.

Obama commutes prison sentences of 214 drug offenders

WASHINGTON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama commuted the prison sentences of 214 individuals on Wednesday, the most grants of clemency in a single day since at least 1900, the White House said.

Obama has now granted a total of 562 commutations during his presidency, more than the number by the past nine presidents combined, it said.

The president has worked to reform the U.S. criminal justice system to reduce the number of people serving long, and in many cases life sentences for drug related crimes. It is a rare topic in which the Democratic president has received support from Republican lawmakers.

Many of the convicts had been serving time for crack cocaine. For years crack offenders faced stiffer penalties than offenders of powder cocaine, even though the substances are similar on a molecular level. Critics have said the disparity has unfairly harmed minority and poor communities.

Your link is clearly an anti Obama .......... Cherry picking and missing important reasons why Obama is granting clemency for 214 prisoners.
TODAY ...... If you get caught with 2 pounds of cocaine..... You will go to jail 2 to 4 years but with good behavior you'll get out half of that.
If you get caught with 20 pounds of marijuana you will go to jail one to 3 years.
BEFORE...... If you get caught with the same amount of drugs and mj you will incarcerated from 8 to 20 years.......

Look at this way this will save tax payers from $7 to $8 millions each year.
I questioned whether or not it was a wise move to select 214 prisoners - the majority of which were in prison for crimes related to crack cocaine - to have their sentences commuted. Are you suggesting that no one is permitted to question the actions of President Obama?

It took you 35 years to learn smoking is a bad thing to do? You had to be told smoking was bad for you?
I started smoking in 1951 (at age fifteen). Back then very few people didn't smoke -- and those who didn't seemed unsophisticated, "square."

All the big movie stars smoked in all their movies. Ronald Reagan endorsed smoking cigarettes, assuring us it was a healthy thing to do:
20050519_fg10.jpg

There were ads endorsed by doctors telling us smokers live longer and have healthier lungs:
07adco_450.jpg

There were pretty girls dressed in tights and carrying trays of sample packs of cigarettes in all bus and train stations. They focused their attention on uniformed military personnel.

So, yes. After being told for so long how good smoking was for me I had to be told it really was bad for me. But by the time the truth was made public it was too late. I was strongly addicted.

While it takes a severely addicted heroin addict an average six months to completely withdraw it was more than a year before I no longer needed the Nicorette gum and lollipops to fend off the craving. Still, the occasional urge to "light up" came on now and then for about another ten years -- and I was not unique in the tenacious compulsion where nicotine addiction is concerned. Ask any former long-term cigarette addict.

Cigarettes are by far the most deadly of all addictions and public education, alone, is responsible for reducing the number of smokers from almost everyone to almost no one -- without ruining any lives or imprisoning anyone.

Breaking story: He just commuted the prison sentences of 214 drug offenders. Many were in prison for crack cocaine. This story is alarming when you consider the level of lawlessness that is already on the streets of America.

WASHINGTON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama commuted the prison sentences of 214 individuals on Wednesday, the most grants of clemency in a single day since at least 1900, the White House said.

Obama has now granted a total of 562 commutations during his presidency, more than the number by the past nine presidents combined, it said.

The president has worked to reform the U.S. criminal justice system to reduce the number of people serving long, and in many cases life sentences for drug related crimes. It is a rare topic in which the Democratic president has received support from Republican lawmakers.

Many of the convicts had been serving time for crack cocaine. For years crack offenders faced stiffer penalties than offenders of powder cocaine, even though the substances are similar on a molecular level. Critics have said the disparity has unfairly harmed minority and poor communities.

Your link is clearly an anti Obama .......... Cherry picking and missing important reasons why Obama is granting clemency for 214 prisoners.
TODAY ...... If you get caught with 2 pounds of cocaine..... You will go to jail 2 to 4 years but with good behavior you'll get out half of that.
If you get caught with 20 pounds of marijuana you will go to jail one to 3 years.
BEFORE...... If you get caught with the same amount of drugs and mj you will incarcerated from 8 to 20 years.......

I questioned whether or not it was a wise move to select 214 prisoners - the majority of which were in prison for crimes related to crack cocaine - to have their sentences commuted. Are you suggesting that no one is permitted to question the actions of President Obama?

They were non violent crimes. Most were arrested for possession.

It took you 35 years to learn smoking is a bad thing to do? You had to be told smoking was bad for you?
I started smoking in 1951 (at age fifteen). Back then very few people didn't smoke -- and those who didn't seemed unsophisticated, "square."

All the big movie stars smoked in all their movies. Ronald Reagan endorsed smoking cigarettes, assuring us it was a healthy thing to do:
20050519_fg10.jpg

There were ads endorsed by doctors telling us smokers live longer and have healthier lungs:
07adco_450.jpg

There were pretty girls dressed in tights and carrying trays of sample packs of cigarettes in all bus and train stations. They focused their attention on uniformed military personnel.

So, yes. After being told for so long how good smoking was for me I had to be told it really was bad for me. But by the time the truth was made public it was too late. I was strongly addicted.

While it takes a severely addicted heroin addict an average six months to completely withdraw it was more than a year before I no longer needed the Nicorette gum and lollipops to fend off the craving. Still, the occasional urge to "light up" came on now and then for about another ten years -- and I was not unique in the tenacious compulsion where nicotine addiction is concerned. Ask any former long-term cigarette addict.

Cigarettes are by far the most deadly of all addictions and public education, alone, is responsible for reducing the number of smokers from almost everyone to almost no one -- without ruining any lives or imprisoning anyone.

Almost no one smokes? The CDC reports (2014) that 19% of adult men and 15% of adult women smoke. Apparently they haven't learned. It didn't take into account minors that smoke.

You can question anyone you like.................. But the link is cherry picking............. Some of these inmates has been there for decades or 8 to 14 years for 40 pounds of marijuana or 10 pounds of cocaine........ Today penalties are from one to 6 years at most.

You can question anyone you like.................. But the link is cherry picking............. Some of these inmates has been there for decades or 8 to 14 years for 40 pounds of marijuana or 10 pounds of cocaine........ Today penalties are from one to 6 years at most.

Had those that have been there for 8 - 14 years been sentenced today, they wouldn't be there but 1 - 6 years. When they were sentenced then, it was longer.

Had those that have been there for 8 - 14 years been sentenced today, they wouldn't be there but 1 - 6 years. When they were sentenced then, it was longer.
I wasn't aware that you had the information list on who the prisoners were and how long they had been there. Can you share that with us? Link and sources. I appreciate it. Thank you.

I wasn't aware that you had the information list on who the prisoners were and how long they had been there. Can you share that with us? Link and sources. I appreciate it. Thank you.
Conservative65, I'm not saying what you claim isn't possible - I just need for you to prove that you have some actual "evidence" - sources, links, .....to back up the claims you've just made. Thanks.

Stats don't say a damn thing. People like you can misuse stats to say anything that furthers their agenda.

So if we arent using stats or facts should we start our posts with "One dark and stormy night..."?

Your problem is you twist them to make it appear something it isn't and don't accept anything but agreement with what you say. Stats don't mean what you say they mean just because you say it.

I havent given not one stat but you've already started making excuses on why the stats I havent even presented yet are wrong. LMAO

Yet you claim stats you admit not having provided are facts.

Stats are facts whether their presented or not. I mean you're already using an excuse on why you dont believe information that I havent even given yet. So how honest will you be once someone presents one?

Not at all because for some reason you dont trust stats or facts. So what is this discussion about? What you FEEL?
Stats in this discussion are NOT facts until you post them so we can see them. You cannot simply claim that statistics support your argument and then not post the statistics so that others can see where you are getting your information from, Caption.

Almost no one smokes? The CDC reports (2014) that 19% of adult men and 15% of adult women smoke. Apparently they haven't learned. It didn't take into account minors that smoke.
Compared with the statistics of the fifties, which probably were around 90% (or more) of men and 85% (or more) of women who smoked, the CDC's present-day numbers are relatively small.

They were non violent crimes. Most were arrested for possession.
Only in the Whacky Leftisphere are people routinely subject to lengthy prison terms just for having a little weed on them. Usually Leftists like you lie and ignore the weapons charge, parole violation, and being depicted on World's Wildest Police Chases and you scream, "He was just locked up for 30 years for a little meth!

Stop lying, Leftists!

obama-1.jpg

Far too long sentences and a multitude of addicts in jail are mainly responsible for the fucked-up prisons.

But cigarettes are not illegal. Oh wait, the liberals are trying to ban them. That'll fill the jails.

obama is a drug addict himself. It only is logical that he would release other addicts and dealers. He's probably selling himself out of the rose garden. This is why the President of the Philippines does is so much better. No chance of them getting out.
so let me play your game when i say you are a alcoholic....do you have proof obama is an addict?..

The Phillipines has a 100% success rate.

A 100 percent success rate for what?
There is no relapse rate.

Got any links to back up your claim, or is this another "fact" you pulled outta your ass?

Harrowing images show hundreds of Filipino 'drug dealers' shot dead

You should know this stuff.
and someone who cant stand you,which would not be a stretch, could say you sold them drugs and then they kick down your door and blow you away.....

Forum List

Back