Obama calls Supreme Court EPA ruling "backwards"

We outlawed high-sulfur coal before you were born ... all the shrubs you see in Florida sprouted and grew since then ... I've been to Florida, if it ain't over 200 foot tall, it ain't a tree ... it's a bush ... so, any tree in Florida would be the highest point in the State ...
Sulfur and Carbon are two separate things, moron.

I'm thinking that the EPA ruling is just starting to sink in with the dems.

I told you it would make the other rulings they were so hot and bothered about seem like mere foreplay before SCOTUS gave them a few days and went in dry. ;)
The SCOTUS is pummeling the snowflakes with a nuclear powered heat lamp.

Forest rangers? ... I try to keep my distance if you don't mine ...

My point is that super-saturated carbonic acid is rated as "safe" for human consumption ... the concentration in rain water will be vanishing small compared to soda pop ...

You can't do that with even weak sulfuric acid ... burn your flesh right off your bones it will ... don't you remember this from your chemistry class? ...

ETA: Do you have a link where the NPS claims carbonic acid causes extensive tree die-off ... like the die-offs blamed on sulfuric acid ...
Did not look for national park service, but did find these with easy search:
On Camels Hump in Vermont's Green Mountains, Dr. H. Vogelmann, professor of botany at the University of Vermont, has reported startling evidence of tree damage. Conifers are most effected because the needles are bathed in acid droplets all year around.Other trees drop their leaves. Measurements of the total biomass in the balsam fir has declined 20 % from 1965 to 1983. The red spruce has declined a dramatic 73 % in the same time period. Lower on the mountain sugar maples and beech trees biomass dropped 25 %.

Forests at high altitudes maybe enshrouded by clouds or fog for much of the time. The pH of lower cloud droplets may average 3.6, which is a much lower pH than the final rain of pH 4.2.

Effects of Acid Rain on Plants and Trees​

Dead or dying trees are a common sight in areas effected by acid rain. Acid rain leaches aluminum from the soil. That aluminum may be harmful to plants as well as animals. Acid rain also removes minerals and nutrients from the soil that trees need to grow.

At high elevations, acidic fog and clouds might strip nutrients from trees’ foliage, leaving them with brown or dead leaves and needles. The trees are then less able to absorb sunlight, which makes them weak and less able to withstand freezing temperatures.

I live in Florida. My brother lives in Florida, and everything is green there. I've never seen these brown trees you speak of. That's an enviro-wacko myth.
Point me to you upper elevations in Florida, the sunshine state. I vaca there a lot. Never seen your mountains.

Did not look for national park service, but did find these with easy search:
On Camels Hump in Vermont's Green Mountains, Dr. H. Vogelmann, professor of botany at the University of Vermont, has reported startling evidence of tree damage. Conifers are most effected because the needles are bathed in acid droplets all year around.Other trees drop their leaves. Measurements of the total biomass in the balsam fir has declined 20 % from 1965 to 1983. The red spruce has declined a dramatic 73 % in the same time period. Lower on the mountain sugar maples and beech trees biomass dropped 25 %.

Forests at high altitudes maybe enshrouded by clouds or fog for much of the time. The pH of lower cloud droplets may average 3.6, which is a much lower pH than the final rain of pH 4.2.

Effects of Acid Rain on Plants and Trees​

Dead or dying trees are a common sight in areas effected by acid rain. Acid rain leaches aluminum from the soil. That aluminum may be harmful to plants as well as animals. Acid rain also removes minerals and nutrients from the soil that trees need to grow.

At high elevations, acidic fog and clouds might strip nutrients from trees’ foliage, leaving them with brown or dead leaves and needles. The trees are then less able to absorb sunlight, which makes them weak and less able to withstand freezing temperatures.

Neither of those links actually claim that carbonic acid is the problem ... and the EPA link specifically says sulfuric acid ...

So thank you for finding a link that endorses my claims and refutes yours ... I never said acid rain isn't a problem, I said it was sulfuric acid, not carbonic acid ... it was you who said carbonic acid ...

Neither of those links actually claim that carbonic acid is the problem ... and the EPA link specifically says sulfuric acid ...

So thank you for finding a link that endorses my claims and refutes yours ... I never said acid rain isn't a problem, I said it was sulfuric acid, not carbonic acid ... it was you who said carbonic acid ...
When burning coal, the two are mostly inextricably linked. As coal has declined. both have declined. Glad, I could give you a backdrop to your views being heard.

When burning coal, the two are mostly inextricably linked. As coal has declined. both have declined. Glad, I could give you a backdrop to your views being heard.
Acid rain disappeared after they put scrubbers on power plants, dumbass. That's was decades ago.

CO2 levels are higher today than they were 20 years ago, how could carbonic acid have declined?
I doubt, it has. Not sure, really. It is naturally occurring by the action of sunlight and moisture on CO2 in the atmosphere, no matter the source, but levels varying., as far as I have read. I fully realize CO2 not the only source or input to acid rain, as point has been made, conversions of sulfur dioxides and other pollutants of burning fossil fuels, (coal in particular) are even higher as appears evidenced by the lower acid levels in and around what used be coal burning steel towns, such as seen and experienced back in the day coming over the last highlands before Birmingham, Alabama.
I agree with the Supreme court ruling on rule of law, in that the clean air act was not originally related to the global warming issue, back then.

I doubt, it has. Not sure, really. It is naturally occurring by the action of sunlight and moisture on CO2 in the atmosphere, no matter the source, but levels varying., as far as I have read. I fully realize CO2 not the only source or input to acid rain, as point has been made, conversions of sulfur dioxides and other pollutants of burning fossil fuels, (coal in particular) are even higher as appears evidenced by the lower acid levels in and around what used be coal burning steel towns, such as seen and experienced back in the day coming over the last highlands before Birmingham, Alabama.
I agree with the Supreme court ruling on rule of law, in that the clean air act was not originally related to the global warming issue, back then.
Sulfuric acid is the primary constituent, moron, by a wide margin.

Former President Barack Obama is expressing his disappointment with a new Supreme Court ruling that could severely limit the authority of the Environmental Protection Agency.
"No challenge poses a greater threat to our future than a changing climate," Obama wrote on Twitter after the decision was made public Thursday. "Every day, we're feeling the impact of climate change, and today's Supreme Court decision is a major step backward."
In a 6-3 decision, SCOTUS concluded that the EPA does not have authority to regulate carbon emissions from existing power plants, making it more difficult to achieve environmental goals and decelerate climate change.

Comment:
This is a recurring problem.
The Democrat Party abuses their power.
The EPA is under the Executive Branch.
They cannot make laws.
The politization of the government agencies started under Barry the Magnificent.
This is a dangerous erosion of our constitutional republic form of government.
View attachment 664758his
Why can't Obozo just enjoy living in Martha's Vinyard with his rich White Liberal friends?

The syllabus, majority, concurring and dissenting opinions in West Virginia v EPA may be read at https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-1530_n758.pdf. I strenuously suggest reading at least the majority and dissenting opinions to inform this discussion. What it seems to boil down to is that the majority believe that the EPA lacks the authority to invoke grid level solutions to the problem of CO2 pollution due to their reading of the Clean Air Act underpinning the Clean Power Act and their invocation of the major questions doctrine for the first time in an opinion in the entire history of the court. Justice Kagan's dissenting opinion does, in my opinion, an excellent job of explaining that Congress clearly and by typical and clearly constrained methods empowered the EPA to identify the "Best System of Emission Reduction". She goes on to explain why the grid level proposal is entirely amenable to both the statutory language used and multiple precedents in regulatory litigation. She does a remarkable job in disassembling the majority's citation of major questions doctrine. Congress clearly gave the EPA the authority to regulate CO2 emissions by use of a grid level, cap-and-trade approach and such an interpretation is robustly supported by FDA v Brown & Williamson, the most applicable precedent to this case.

They called CO2 a pollutant thus subject to regulations that is what they did.

It was their way to then force industries to reduce emissions because they say it is a pollutant.

This new ruling does away with that politically fabricated bullshit.
EPA v West Virginia did not classify CO2 as a pollutant. That was done in March of 2015 by the Federal Register statute noted in this quote from the dissenting opinion. It was NOT affected by the WPA v W Virginia ruling.

Things changed in October 2015, when EPA promulgated Cite as: 597 U. S. ____ (2022) Opinion of the Court 7 two rules addressing carbon dioxide pollution from power plants—one for new plants under Section 111(b), the other for existing plants under Section 111(d). Both were premised on the Agency’s earlier finding that carbon dioxide is an “air pollutant” that “may reasonably be anticipated to endanger public health or welfare” by causing climate change. 80 Fed. Reg. 64530. Carbon dioxide is not subject to a NAAQS and has not been listed as a toxic pollutant. The first rule announced by EPA established federal carbon emissions limits for new power plants of two varieties: fossil-fuel-fired electric steam generating units (mostly coal fired) and natural-gas-fired stationary combustion turbines. Id., at 64512. Following the statutory process set out above, the Agency determined the BSER for the two categories of sources. For steam generating units, for instance, EPA determined that the BSER was a combination of highefficiency production processes and carbon capture technology. See 80 Fed. Reg. 64512. EPA then set the emissions limit based on the amount of carbon dioxide that a plant would emit with these technologies in place. Id., at 64513. The second rule was triggered by the first: Because EPA was now regulating carbon dioxide from new coal and gas plants, Section 111(d) required EPA to also address carbon emissions from existing coal and gas plants. See §7411(d)(1). It did so through what it called the Clean Power Plan rule.

Why can't Obozo just enjoy living in Martha's Vinyard with his rich White Liberal friends?
Why can't Marathon Mike simply address the actual topic of a thread instead of attacking someone for no discernible, pertinent or justifiable reason? Fuck if I know.

Forum List

Back