Obama approves $900,000 Federal spending for NOTHING

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
It is one of the oddest spending habits in Washington: This year, the government will spend at least $890,000 on service fees for bank accounts that have nothing in them. At last count, Uncle Sam has 13,712 such accounts, each with a balance of zero.
Feds spend at least $890,000 on fees for empty accounts - The Washington Post

Now why is Obama responsible for spending $900,000 for absolutely nothing???

Obama promised to "And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely."
PolitiFact | Obama's promise to go after earmarks 'line by line'

- spend $2.6 million to make sure prostitutes in China drink less on the job.
- $1.44 million in federal funds estimating the size of the population and examining the “social milieu”
of male prostitutes in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- on-tax-dollars-spent-to-study-male-prostitutes-in-vietnam
- Washington spends $25 billion annually maintaining unused or vacant federal properties

So if we take Obama at his word that he went through the budget LINE by LINE and approved spending TAX dollars that could go to soldiers, et.al. on Chinese/Vietnamese prostitutes???

A quick glance through a Civics textbook would help you understand that the President doesn't have the power to "approve" spending.

Only Congress has that power.

A quick glance through a Civics textbook would help you understand that the President doesn't have the power to "approve" spending.

so another obama lie

funny coming from the con law prof

:lol:

btw...you need to read a civics textbook on vetoes and how the president can approve or not approve budgets.

so another obama lie

btw...you need to read a civics textbook on vetoes and how the president can approve or not approve budgets.

What "lie" are you talking about?

so another obama lie

the "lie" is according to your civics view:

I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely.

according to you, the president does not have the power to do that.

so are you stating he promised something he knew he couldn't deliver on?

Seriously, if he cared so much why is he not in front of Congress demanding answers as to why this is happening?

The bank accounts are the responsibility of executive departments and agencies. They predate Obama, but why the executive branch hasn't closed them out ........?

If you complain about sequester, this should stop that.

It is one of the oddest spending habits in Washington: This year, the government will spend at least $890,000 on service fees for bank accounts that have nothing in them. At last count, Uncle Sam has 13,712 such accounts, each with a balance of zero.

Shouldn't you be blaming the midlevel bureaucrat for not monitoring the bank fees?

Or the bank for charging fees on empty accounts instead of calling the government bureaucrat and saying "your account is empty, do you want to close it?" You would think the bank would consider a civic duty not to screw the government and thus the tax payers.

Oh, that's right, you're an idiot who doesn't know how many people work at various levels of the federal government and would rather blame every $ of waste directly on the Black guy.

If you'll recall 6.6 BILLION DOLLARS sent to Iraq on pallets went missing under Bush. Stolen, misplaced, lost? No one knows. Did you raise hell over that 6.6 Billion?

Shouldn't you be blaming the midlevel bureaucrat for not monitoring the bank fees?

Or the bank for charging fees on empty accounts instead of calling the government bureaucrat and saying "your account is empty, do you want to close it?" You would think the bank would consider a civic duty not to screw the government and thus the tax payers.

Oh, that's right, you're an idiot who doesn't know how many people work at various levels of the federal government and would rather blame every $ of waste directly on the Black guy.

If you'll recall 6.6 BILLION DOLLARS sent to Iraq on pallets went missing under Bush. Stolen, misplaced, lost? No one knows. Did you raise hell over that 6.6 Billion?

you need to keep up with the news better before using stale talking points.

Iraq War?s ?Missing? $6.6 Billion Is Discovered in Central Bank - Bloomberg

Oh, and are you stating that line by line does not mean everything the US gov't. has in its budget? If not, then what exactly did he mean? Other than hyperbole.

Last edited:
so another obama lie

LOL...Theres a difference between going over a budget and approving one. Try not to confuse the two.

And since we're talking about Politifact, I'm assuming the OP chose them because they are good source until I post:

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises

Now he'll either back away from his OP or claim some stupendous conspiracy theory on liberals controlling JUST the Obameter not what he posted tho

so another obama lie

He doesn't. He can either sign it or not - that's all he can do.

So yes - that was a "lie".

yes he does. like i said, pick up a civics book and read about vetoes and budgets.

you should not call out other people about educating themselves when you clearly don't know that you're talking about. seriously, if you are right, then obama lied because he knows he doesn't have the power to do what he claimed he could do. why i would give him a lie vs. wrong, is he is supposedly a con law professor.

do you see the pickle you're in?

yes he does. like i said, pick up a civics book and read about vetoes and budgets.

you should not call out other people about educating themselves when you clearly don't know that you're talking about. seriously, if you are right, then obama lied because he knows he doesn't have the power to do what he claimed he could do. why i would give him a lie vs. wrong, is he is supposedly a con law professor.

do you see the pickle you're in?

I'm not "in a pickle" at all.

I don't have any emotional attachment to Obama. I have no urge to defend him.

He's a fucking politician, of course he "lied". That's what they do.

Obama promised to "And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely."

- $1.44 million in federal funds estimating the size of the population and examining the “social milieu”
- Washington spends $25 billion annually maintaining unused or vacant federal properties

So if we take Obama at his word that he went through the budget LINE by LINE and approved spending TAX dollars that could go to soldiers, et.al. on Chinese/Vietnamese prostitutes???

But that story in WaPo has nothing to do with earmarks. Did you read it? Why do you people just make shit up?

The story is about the federal government maintaining bank accounts that have zero balances. Obama didn't sign off on $900K. Read the damn story.

Hell no. Bush and Cheney had them so phucking scared they didn't dare question anything.

Try reading the article, and note this:
“We have worked with agencies to improve the timely closeout of grants,” said Danny Werfel, the controller at the Office of Management and Budget, in an e-mail. “Agencies have made noteworthy progress so far, with the number of zero balance accounts falling by more than 50 percent since the end of fiscal year 2011.” Back then, the total was more than 28,000.

Forum List

Back