NY : Douglas McKay found guilty of making memes

I have read it.
But maybe I missed where it gives the right to vote? Could you point that out for me.

You may have read it but you clearly do not understand it.

The right to vote is the fundamental right that has been the source of the most significant Supreme Court litigation. The Constitution addresses voting in Article II and four subsequent amendments (the 15th, forbidding discrimination in voting on the basis "of race, color, or previous condition of servitude;" the 19th, forbidding discrimination in voting based on sex; the 24th, prohibiting "any poll tax" on a person before they can vote; and the 26th, granting the right to vote to all citizens over the age of 18).
The Equal Protection Clause and the Right to Vote

Not really. Every State is required to have a republican form of government, and states cannot deny voting or any other right in ways that are discriminatory. Nor can they deny voting on the basis of sex or age (over the age of 18).
All eligible people, according to a states laws, must be able to vote. Equal protection of the laws, and all that.
That doesnt make it a Constitutional right.

You may have read it but you clearly do not understand it.

The right to vote is the fundamental right that has been the source of the most significant Supreme Court litigation. The Constitution addresses voting in Article II and four subsequent amendments (the 15th, forbidding discrimination in voting on the basis "of race, color, or previous condition of servitude;" the 19th, forbidding discrimination in voting based on sex; the 24th, prohibiting "any poll tax" on a person before they can vote; and the 26th, granting the right to vote to all citizens over the age of 18).
The Equal Protection Clause and the Right to Vote
None of that shows its a constitutional right. Try again.

People often confuse text in the Constitution talking about a right, being it guarantees it. It doesnt. It is saying a state can not be discriminatory for certain things, or if someone is eligible, according to the states laws on voting, they cannot be stopped from voting.
This is why stupid people shouldnt vote. They dont even understand their own rights.

All eligible people, according to a states laws, must be able to vote. Equal protection of the laws, and all that.
That doesnt make it a Constitutional right.

And States can't disqualify voters (i.e., render them ineligible) based on a whim, so it is indeed a constitutionally-protected right. Like all rights, there are boundaries that are defined by other aspects of the constitution or interpretations of it, but voting is a constitutionally-protected activity. Sorry you don't like it.

People often confuse text in the Constitution talking about a right, being it guarantees it. It doesnt. It is saying a state can not be discriminatory for certain things, or if someone is eligible, according to the states laws on voting, they cannot be stopped from voting.
This is why stupid people shouldnt vote. They dont even understand their own rights.

In other words, the constitution spells out what governments cannot do -- no different from other rights, really. The Constitution doesn't say "people have the right of free speech", but rather that the freedom of speech shall not be abridged. Ditto other rights.

It depends on what the state laws say.
This shit really isnt complicated. All you have to do is read.

I agree, it's not complicated, but you're wrong.

The States do have some limited discretion/power in qualifying voters, but it cannot do so in ways that are blatantly discriminatory and there must be some form of republican government (elected representation). That's con-law pre-1920 and 1976, when two amendments made voting rights even more explicit.

I agree, it's not complicated, but you're wrong.

The States do have some limited discretion/power in qualifying voters, but it cannot do so in ways that are blatantly discriminatory and there must be some form of republican government (elected representation). That's con-law pre-1920 and 1976, when two amendments made voting rights even more explicit.
States can do what they want with voting, as long as it isnt discriminatory ovber certain things. Unless Congress establishes laws on it, thats the way it will remain.
The constitution only guarantees equal protection. If you want to say that means its a "constitutional right" and sound like an ignorant dufus, thats your choice.

LOL see?
Once a discussion actually starts up, he then relies on buttons to do his talking lolz

I apologize if some has already posted this information, but we should be clear about what this man did and is in prison for. When I read that it was for 'posting memes', I thought it was for posting .... well, memes mocking Hillary Clinton. Not true -- maybe someday this will be crime but it isn't now.

Here's what he's gone down for:

"As proven at trial, between September 2016 and November 2016, Mackey conspired with other influential Twitter users and with members of private online groups to use social media platforms, including Twitter, to disseminate fraudulent messages that encouraged supporters of presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to “vote” via text message or social media which, in reality, was legally invalid. For example, on November 1, 2016, in or around the same time that Mackey was sending tweets suggesting the importance of limiting “black turnout,” the defendant tweeted an image depicting an African American woman standing in front of an “African Americans for Hillary” sign. The ad stated: “Avoid the Line. Vote from Home,” “Text ‘Hillary’ to 59925,” and “Vote for Hillary and be a part of history.” The fine print at the bottom of the deceptive image stated: “Must be 18 or older to vote. One vote per person. Must be a legal citizen of the United States. Voting by text not available in Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawaii. Paid for by Hillary For President 2016.” The tweet included the typed hashtag “#ImWithHer,” a slogan frequently used by Hillary Clinton. On or about and before Election Day 2016, at least 4,900 unique telephone numbers texted “Hillary” or some derivative to the 59925 text number, which had been used in multiple deceptive campaign images tweeted by Mackey and his co-conspirators.

Several hours after tweeting the first image, Mackey tweeted an image depicting a woman seated at a conference room typing a message on her cell phone. This deceptive image was written in Spanish and mimicked a font used by the Clinton campaign in authentic ads. The image also included a copy of the Clinton campaign’s logo and the “ImWithHer” hashtag. "

If that's not a crime, it should be.

This is why stupid people shouldn't post or drive, but they do.

Forum List

Back