Numbers on Cadillacs

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My beloved brother recently got a new Cadillac XT6. It's their mid-size luxury SUV.

On the right side of the rear hatch, right below the window is the number "400." The vehicle has their 3.6L V6, which produces about 300 HP in this application.

WTF?

I asked my brother what the number indicated and he didn't know. He checked with the dealer and came back with something that made no sense. But here's the deal.

In the inevitable future of electric, hybrid, and gas-powered cars, there is currently no way to assess the manliness of the power train such that "we" can tell how the vehicle performs, acceleration-wise. The one common factor that is relevant to performance and to ALL power trains is torque -
  • NOT cubic inch displacement (which does not apply to electric motors),
  • NOT horsepower (which is not 100% relevant to either motor),
  • NOT the number of motors - currently used by Tesla - and which makes no sense in an ICE car.
So the "400" refers to torque. But the 3.6L engine doesn't have anywhere near 400 ft-lbs of torque, right? It's only 271.

They have decided to (a) measure torque in Newton-meters, rather than ft-lbs, and (b) not be very precise, as the actual number is 367. They are rounding up to the next 50.

Which begs the question, If "400" is the number on their V6's, then why is the number "200" on their turbo four's? Surely their turbo-four's have more than half as much torque as the V6's.

Welcome to the brave new world.

It doesn't mean any of that. It's a model number like Nissan 240Z or Chevy SS 396.

My beloved brother recently got a new Cadillac XT6. It's their mid-size luxury SUV.

On the right side of the rear hatch, right below the window is the number "400." The vehicle has their 3.6L V6, which produces about 300 HP in this application.

WTF?

I asked my brother what the number indicated and he didn't know. He checked with the dealer and came back with something that made no sense. But here's the deal.

In the inevitable future of electric, hybrid, and gas-powered cars, there is currently no way to assess the manliness of the power train such that "we" can tell how the vehicle performs, acceleration-wise. The one common factor that is relevant to performance and to ALL power trains is torque -
  • NOT the number of motors - currently used by Tesla - and which makes no sense in an ICE car.
So the "400" refers to torque. But the 3.6L engine doesn't have anywhere near 400 ft-lbs of torque, right? It's only 271.

They have decided to (a) measure torque in Newton-meters, rather than ft-lbs, and (b) not be very precise, as the actual number is 367. They are rounding up to the next 50.

Which begs the question, If "400" is the number on their V6's, then why is the number "200" on their turbo four's? Surely their turbo-four's have more than half as much torque as the V6's.

How about its length in centimeters? I used to own an Electra 225, the 225 was in reference to the vehicle's length in inches- maybe the 400 is a reference to the Caddy's length in cm?

WTF?

Shit. Mine reads 666....wtf?

My source is Car & Drive magazine. Model number? Why would they not show that in any of their advertising?

My source is Car & Drive magazine. Model number? Why would they not show that in any of their advertising?
I don't know but I found this.
cad 400.jpg

Forum List

Back