NOW the USPS is going under. what in the heck is going on?

ah....the good olde government run post company.....run into the ground .....wonder when the senate hearing will happen and blame will be assigned.....

wonder who our elected officials will blame this on.....

doesn't the government run amtrack as well.....

ah....the good olde government run post company.....run into the ground .....wonder when the senate hearing will happen and blame will be assigned.....

wonder who our elected officials will blame this on.....

doesn't the government run amtrack as well.....

Well, since Al Gore invented the internet, I say we blame him. After all, email is the cause of the fall of the USPS right?

Immie

cap post master salaries at 75g/year.

STARTING with that piece of shit Potter

Postmaster got $800,000 in pay, perks
Raise came amid calls for cuts in delivery

Washington Times - Postmaster got $800,000 in pay, perks
that is what I was thinking.
I was also thinking the other day about how they say people do not send letters anymore due to email which causes them profit loss. But don't they send quite a bit more bills in the mail than they used to? Also when I order stuff off the internet it always seems to come USPS.
Maybe I am being an idiot and someone could explain to me how they loose so much money. And maybe it is just my family that gets the same amount of mail as they did ten fifteen years ago.

I imagine the biggest problem is in first class regular mail. It has dropped off significantly, and that was the big money maker as there was so much volume at a higher rate. All the junk mail is delivered at reduced costs because it can wait a few extra days.

As for bills and bank statements, I don't get any through the mail anymore. All my billing statements and payments are done over the Internet. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I can see how this has come about.

cap post master salaries at 75g/year.

STARTING with that piece of shit Potter

Postmaster got $800,000 in pay, perks
Raise came amid calls for cuts in delivery

Washington Times - Postmaster got $800,000 in pay, perks
that is what I was thinking.
I was also thinking the other day about how they say people do not send letters anymore due to email which causes them profit loss. But don't they send quite a bit more bills in the mail than they used to? Also when I order stuff off the internet it always seems to come USPS.
Maybe I am being an idiot and someone could explain to me how they loose so much money. And maybe it is just my family that gets the same amount of mail as they did ten fifteen years ago.

Just within the past two months, I stopped receiving nearly all bills and banking statements via postal mail. I was sick of it having to shred it and ended up paying online anyways, so I switched the paper stuff out. If much can be done online, why not? It's a waste of paper anyway. I've also (finally!) stopped receiving as much junk mail -- catalogues and such. :D

The internet changed the way people bank, pay bills, purchase products, etc. Maybe the post office needs to revamp in order to keep up with the changing times. For starters, 5 days a week service seems like a good idea.

The biggest problem with moving to five days is the fact that they still will need to offer overnight service six days a week, meaning they can't completely shut down. If they cut out overnight on whichever they choose to stop other service, they will lose an awful lot of revenue to UPS, Fed Ex, and other competitors.

:lol: I was online with the helpdesk at work with a problem. My boss chimed in saying he couldn't get online so we started asking him questions and finally he said he forgot to plug in the cable. :cuckoo:

The guy at the helpdesk sounded like he wanted to hit him.

I find that nine times out of ten, it's always something that's unplugged. The simplest solution often is. :lol:

Mine was going out two or three times per day. Cable company was out the next day. They had to replace the outside line as it had cracked and water had gotten inside the line.

I was applying for a post office job a few years back. Holidays? there's only 11 or 12 of those. Your first year you get 25 days vacation and 30 days sick level. There problem now is that no one works a fice day work week let alone 6. It goes up to 30 days the second year.

Figure in fifty-two Sundays then add 72 paid days off a year. That's 124 days out of 365 you don't have to work a year.

I was applying for a post office job a few years back. Holidays? there's only 11 or 12 of those. Your first year you get 25 days vacation and 30 days sick level. There problem now is that no one works a fice day work week let alone 6. It goes up to 30 days the second year.

Figure in fifty-two Sundays then add 72 paid days off a year. That's 124 days out of 365 you don't have to work a year.

No you don't get 25 days of vacation the first year...that's just hogwash. Also 30 days of sick leave in a year....that again is just hogwash. We worked 5 day work weeks, with 2 days off a week. I would have never retired getting those kind of benefits.

Snail mail is obsolete ... it's time to move forward. The only reason they are losing money is because they can't compete with email.

Economic slow downs affect everyone. When you consider for a few cents you can mail a letter anywhere, it is still a bargain. I do agree that the head honchos make too much, but isn't that the American way? Do this when you order something ask they use the USPS, Amazon free mailing does. My wife supports UPS. LOL

Buy American support yourself.

American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA

usps is dying due to their overall refusal to update...pay scales of course play in but lets consider mailing with usps or ups..

usps you have to go in and hope you get waited on...stand in line etc...then get to the counter to find out the maze of rules..you cant ship this or that...media mail is cheaper but does it have ads...on and on the list goes...then the prices...if you want it insured or confirmed...you do realize a confirmation is not worth much...so you have to insure it...on and on

ups..you can open your own account on line..drop it off at a drop off point...it is already insured for $100.00 and you can simply purchase more if needed...they may ask you about contents but that is about all...

which would you rather do?

i do not use any stamps..hardly....i cant think of the last time i used a stamp...man uses 2 a month...everything else is done on the net....i use a bill pay system that allows the money to be transferred to most payees within 48 hours...if the payee is not set up with transfers my billing system will issue them a check and mail it...for free...

o wait i do remember the last time i went to the post office...i waited for over 15 minutes..while the guy in front of me got money orders..then found out you cant use a check to pay for them...so they began all over again..then i put my letter package up and she says ..it can be there in 3 to 5 days for over 5 dollars..i decline and mention that if i mail it first class it will be there the next day...(instate)
she continues to rattle off all these prices...i tell her i just want first class...it was $2.02..the reason i remember is i didnt have the 2 cents and bummed it from a guy in the long ass line behind me..
it was poor service combined with outlandish prices for services i didnt need or ask for...

One institution after another is falling over, dead. Sure smacks of poor management and poor social awareness of your surroundings, thats for sure!

WASHINGTON – The financially strapped U.S. Postal Service will run out of money this year without help from Congress, Postmaster General John Potter warned on Wednesday.

"We are facing losses of historic proportion. Our situation is critical," Potter told a House subcommittee.

The agency lost $2.8 billion last year and is looking at much larger losses this year said Potter, who is seeking congressional permission to reduce mail delivery from six days to five days a week.

Potter also urged changes in how it pre-pays for retiree health care to cut its annual costs by $2 billion.

If the Postal Service does run out of money, the lingering question, Potter told the House Oversight post office subcommittee, is which bills will get paid and which will not.

He said ensuring the payment of workers' salaries comes first, but other bills may have to wait.

Potter first raised the possibility of delivery cutbacks in January, but the idea has not been warmly received in Congress.

"With the Postal Service facing budget shortfalls the subcommittee will consider a number of options to restore financial stability and examine ways for the Postal Service to continue to operate without cutting services," subcommittee chairman Stephen F. Lynch, D-Mass., said.

Lynch said the financial stability of the Postal Service is "critical to the American expectation of affordable six-day mail delivery."

Even if the agency succeeds in reaching its planned cost cuts of $5.9 billion, there could still be a $6 billion deficit in 2010, Potter said.

Postal chief says post office running out of money

Shortened and LINKED to comply with board copyright rules. Please comply in the future so your posts don't need to be deleted. Thank you.

Bush bankrupted the country.

Of course it's going broke.

It was a system designed in another age, for another age.

It was never designed to make money, either, and their attempt to turn it into a for-profit couldn't possibly work given the organization's gestalt.

It's got too much real estate tht it cannot support and too much overhead from pensions which were designed in that age when workers who devoted their lives to a company were rewarded for that loyal service

Imagine that...taking care of loyal employees.. what WERE they thinking!?!

Geeez, I just realized...if 500,000++++ ALREADY pissy, ornery and snotty USPS employees are going to be unemployed...holy crap, we'd best arm ourselves, fast!!

Twould be an unpretty site, all of them with nowhere to go to complain, drink coffee and sodas all day and whine and wait for retirement to happen.

An amusing read: http://www.postalmag.com/editorial11.htm

edited to correct the figure: it was at the bottom of the article: 740,000 Postal employees.

Last edited:
Geeez, I just realized...if 500,000++ ALREADY pissy, ornery and snotty USPS employees are going to be unemployed...holy crap, we'd best arm ourselves, fast!!

Twould be an unpretty site, all of them with nowhere to go to complain, drink coffee and sodas all day and whine and wait for retirement to happen.
USPS is the third largest employer in the country.

The USPS is a national utility and social service. Part of its mandate is to reach every household and PO box and it deals with much more than what can be replace via email. We can cut back to daily delivery, cut out express mailing, etc., but the national coverage issue is a big part of the equation.

Responding that everyone should use the internet, essentially blowing off USPS is easy to say, but not easy to do. That they are inefficient, etc.; everything in government can be criticized at that level.

Forum List

Back