Nothing exists until verified and all theories are falsified until proven true.

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
If I say there are no unicorns, my argument, although unverifiable, is verified by default until someone finds a unicorn. The burden of proof is on anyone who says they do exist. If I say trees don't exist, I am only wrong because they have already been verified to exist. We should always lean towards something not existing until its existence can be verified.

If I say some unverified species exists, my theory is falsified the second it comes out of my mouth. Neither you, nor anyone else has to do anything to falsify it. I have to verify my theory to be true by finding an example of the species. The burden of proof lies with the person claiming existence of anything as of yet unverified to exist.

Every explorer is wrong until he verifies the existence of the place he claims exists. Every inventor is wrong until he actually invents his product. There are never any exceptions to this. Ever.

If I say there are no unicorns, my argument, although unverifiable, is verified by default until someone finds a unicorn. The burden of proof is on anyone who says they do exist. If I say trees don't exist, I am only wrong because they have already been verified to exist. We should always lean towards something not existing until its existence can be verified.

If I say some unverified species exists, my theory is falsified the second it comes out of my mouth. Neither you, nor anyone else has to do anything to falsify it. I have to verify my theory to be true by finding an example of the species. The burden of proof lies with the person claiming existence of anything as of yet unverified to exist.

Every explorer is wrong until he verifies the existence of the place he claims exists. Every inventor is wrong until he actually invents his product. There are never any exceptions to this. Ever.

What are trees?

So how's the weather over there in your own Private Idaho? My theory is . . .

. . . that's my theory: "my theory is . . . "

Feel free to disprove it.

Prove it.

Prove it.

What are trees?

Trees exist because I have seen them and their existence has been verified. If someone claims the moon exists, you can prove them wrong for the briefest of moments simply by saying "No it doesn't.". They are wrong until they drag you outside, show you the moon and say "HA! I told you so!" and then you are wrong.

Prove it.

What are trees?

Trees exist because I have seen them and their existence has been verified. If someone claims the moon exists, you can prove them wrong for the briefest of moments simply by saying "No it doesn't.". They are wrong until they drag you outside, show you the moon and say "HA! I told you so!" and then you are wrong.

No one verfied you ever existed .

Any thing can be verified if it is of personal experience....

Prove it.

What are trees?

Bullshit.

Any thing can be verified if it is of personal experience....

I don't think we exist

Prove it.

What are trees?

Bullshit.

How do you know?

Prove it.

What are trees?

Bullshit.

How do you know?

Don't make me whip out the epistemology on your ass.

Prove it.
What are trees?

Bullshit.

How do you know?

It's the CDZ...or is it?

Bullshit.

How do you know?

It's the CDZ...or is it?

My words are carefully chosen and edited for content. Any resemblance to foul language is in the mind of the reader.

Prove it.

What are trees?

From your point of view, my existence was verified when you read my post. Before that, I didn't exist. Your existence was verified when I read your post. You didn't exist before that.

Prove it.

What are trees?

From your point of view, my existence was verified when you read my post. Before that, I didn't exist. Your existence was verified when I read your post. You didn't exist before that.

This is just random words being posted so nothing is verified .

Nothing exists until verified and all theories are falsified until proven true
I imagine this applies to the theory you've just advanced.

So what was your point?

I was under the impression that Karl Popper had dealt with that sort of thing.

Thus, in Popper’s words, science requires testability: “If observation shows that the predicted effect is definitely absent, then the theory is simply refuted.” This means a good theory must have an element of risk to it. It must be able to be proven wrong under stated conditions.

Karl Popper on The Line Between Science and Pseudoscience

Greg

Gravity existed long before it was verified. E=mc squared existed before Einstein verified it.
Membranes, strings, dimensions all exist and are waiting verification.

Bertrand Russell covered a priori knowledge in his fairly excellent book The Problems of Philisophy. Alfred Ayer's Language, Truth, and Logic is even better, and both are free at archive.org.

Forum List

Back