Not Just Obamacare: Medicaid, Medicare Also On GOP’s Chopping Block

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
582b3f321500001304b0d15f.jpeg

The health care safety net as we know it could be bound for extinction.

Donald Trump and Republican leaders in Congress have made clear they are serious about repealing Obamacare, and doing so quickly. But don’t assume their dismantling of government health insurance programs will stop there.

For about two decades now, Republicans have been talking about radically changing the government’s two largest health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare.

The goal with Medicaid is to turn the program almost entirely over to the states, but with less money to run it. The goal with Medicare is to convert it from a government-run insurance program into a voucher system ― while, once again, reducing the money that goes into the program.

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has championed these ideas for years. Trump has not. In fact, in a 2015 interview his campaign website highlighted, he vowed that “I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid.” But the health care agenda on Trump’s transition website, which went live Thursday, vows to “modernize Medicare” and allow more “flexibility” for Medicaid.

In Washington, those are euphemisms for precisely the kind of Medicare and Medicaid plans Ryan has long envisioned. And while it’s never clear what Trump really thinks or how he’ll act, it sure looks like both he and congressional Republicans are out to undo Lyndon Johnson’s health care legacy, not just Barack Obama’s.

Of course, whenever Trump or Republicans talk about dismantling existing government programs, they insist they will replace them with something better ― implying that the people who depend on those programs now won’t be worse off.

But Republicans are not trying to replicate what Medicaid, Medicare and the Affordable Care Act do now. Nor are they trying to maintain the current, historically high level of health coverage nationwide that these programs have produced. Their goal is to slash government spending on health care and to peel back regulations on parts of the health care industry, particularly insurers.

This would mean lower taxes, and an insurance market that operates with less government interference. It would also reduce how many people get help paying for health coverage, and make it so that those who continue to receive government-sponsored health benefits will get less help than they do now.

It’s difficult to be precise about the real-world effects, because the Republican plans for replacing existing government insurance programs remain so undefined. Ryan’s “A Better Way” proposal is a broad, 37-page outline without dollar figures, and Senate Republican leaders have never produced an actual Obamacare “replacement” plan.

But the Republican plans in circulation, along with the vague ― and shifting ― health care principles Trump endorsed during the campaign, have common themes. And from those it’s possible to glean a big-picture idea of what a fully realized version of the Republican health care agenda would mean.

DETAILS: Not Just Obamacare: Medicaid, Medicare Also On GOP's Chopping Block

The above link provides details on how the Trump Administration will chop Obamacare, Medicaid, and Medicare.

Last edited:
I also learned something new today about Obamacare and pre-existing conditions from a close friend of mine. Actually, insurance companies can deny coverage for pre-existing conditions to seniors who are over 65 1/2 years old. This was also confirmed by a very knowledgeable insurance agent with Mutual of Omaha. I think it's interesting that this fact has never been publicized. I can't even find anything on the Internet about it.

Last edited:

Donald Trump and Republican leaders in Congress have made clear they are serious about repealing Obamacare, and doing so quickly. But don’t assume their dismantling of government health insurance programs will stop there.

For about two decades now, Republicans have been talking about radically changing the government’s two largest health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare.

The goal with Medicaid is to turn the program almost entirely over to the states, but with less money to run it. The goal with Medicare is to convert it from a government-run insurance program into a voucher system ― while, once again, reducing the money that goes into the program.

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has championed these ideas for years. Trump has not. In fact, in a 2015 interview his campaign website highlighted, he vowed that “I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid.” But the health care agenda on Trump’s transition website, which went live Thursday, vows to “modernize Medicare” and allow more “flexibility” for Medicaid.

In Washington, those are euphemisms for precisely the kind of Medicare and Medicaid plans Ryan has long envisioned. And while it’s never clear what Trump really thinks or how he’ll act, it sure looks like both he and congressional Republicans are out to undo Lyndon Johnson’s health care legacy, not just Barack Obama’s.

Of course, whenever Trump or Republicans talk about dismantling existing government programs, they insist they will replace them with something better ― implying that the people who depend on those programs now won’t be worse off.

But Republicans are not trying to replicate what Medicaid, Medicare and the Affordable Care Act do now. Nor are they trying to maintain the current, historically high level of health coverage nationwide that these programs have produced. Their goal is to slash government spending on health care and to peel back regulations on parts of the health care industry, particularly insurers.

This would mean lower taxes, and an insurance market that operates with less government interference. It would also reduce how many people get help paying for health coverage, and make it so that those who continue to receive government-sponsored health benefits will get less help than they do now.

It’s difficult to be precise about the real-world effects, because the Republican plans for replacing existing government insurance programs remain so undefined. Ryan’s “A Better Way” proposal is a broad, 37-page outline without dollar figures, and Senate Republican leaders have never produced an actual Obamacare “replacement” plan.

But the Republican plans in circulation, along with the vague ― and shifting ― health care principles Trump endorsed during the campaign, have common themes. And from those it’s possible to glean a big-picture idea of what a fully realized version of the Republican health care agenda would mean.

The above link provides details on how the Trump Administration will chop Obamacare, Medicaid, and Medicare.
Poor little liberals. Crying and squalling after receiving the biggest electoral defeat in living memory.

Why should anyone pay attention to you? Normal people know you'll just keep complaining and whining no matter what we say. Since you're no longer in a position to do harm to the country, there's no point in paying attention to you. You're just not worth the trouble.

Poor little liberals. Crying and squalling after receiving the biggest electoral defeat in living memory.

Why should anyone pay attention to you? Normal people know you'll just keep complaining and whining no matter what we say. Since you're no longer in a position to do harm to the country, there's no point in paying attention to you. You're just not worth the trouble.

This wasn't even the biggest electoral defeat in 4 years let alone living memory.

LackBrains still doesn't know that President Elect Donald J Trump doesn't give a shit about what other Republicans think even though President Elect Donald J Trump ran on the very platform of "I don't give a shit about what other Republicans think".

Poor little LackBrains.

Elections have consequences. You're riding in the back now. Trump's the new King, and your his subject. Ya fired kid. :)

This wasn't even the biggest electoral defeat in 4 years let alone living memory.
See? There goes another one! :crybaby:

LackBrains still doesn't know that President Elect Donald J Trump doesn't give a shit about what other Republicans think even though President Elect Donald J Trump ran on the very platform of "I don't give a shit about what other Republicans think".

Poor little LackBrains.
Trump cannot do anything without McConnell and Ryan, who just got reelected speaker. I think Ryan's days are numbered, but the same gop party that existed before Nov 8 is still the one with the pursestrings and ability to write laws.

I also learned something new today about Obamacare and pre-existing conditions from a close friend of mine. Actually, insurance companies can deny coverage for pre-existing conditions to seniors who are over 65 1/2 years old. This was also confirmed by a very knowledgeable insurance agent with Mutual of Omaha. I think it's interesting that this fact has never been publicized. I can't even find anything on the Internet about it.
Link from a reputable source?

Elections have consequences. You're riding in the back now. Trump's the new King, and your his subject. Ya fired kid. :)

It would be nice if some of you deranged NaziCons would stop trying to spam this thread and discuss some of the serious issues it addresses. Hey, if Trump really does have better insurance alternatives - I'm all for it. I'm still concerned about my post #2.

Link from a reputable source?
Well if people are eligible for Medicare, why should private insurers have to insure them for pre-existing conditions? Medicare does a lot right (and wrong) but keeping down the cost of HC for working families is one of the good things.

And the gop seems determined to get rid of that.

It would be nice if some of you deranged NaziCons would stop trying to spam this thread and discuss some of the serious issues it addresses. Hey, if Trump really does have better insurance alternatives - I'm all for it. I'm still concerned about my post #2.
It would be nice if you could provide a link that we could read the actual wording when it comes to your "post #2" It is honestly a complete waste of time to argue a fable.

Ya done kid. You ain't calling the shots. It's Trump's turn to be above the law. Better get used to it.

GO TRUMP! GO TRUMP! GRAB A PUSSY! :dance:

Poor little LackBrains.
Trump cannot do anything without McConnell and Ryan, who just got reelected speaker. I think Ryan's days are numbered, but the same gop party that existed before Nov 8 is still the one with the pursestrings and ability to write laws.
Trump is going to use the Bully Pulpit like no one before him.

So the death panels are true huh?
Carry on Sloping Brow....

Yes I stole this from Lucy..Thanks Lucy.

So the death panels are true huh?
Carry on Sloping Brow....

Yes I stole this from Lucy..Thanks Lucy.

Injun Jane is sure dopey...

Oh yeah...you're a fucking dumbass for bringing up death panels.

It would be nice if you could provide a link that we could read the actual wording when it comes to your "post #2" It is honestly a complete waste of time to argue a fable.

Don't bother, you're dealing with a deranged Clinton Bootlicker. But they ain't running the show anymore. There's a new Sheriff in town. Time for them to quit the whining, and go get jobs. Their moocher salad days are over. :)

Forum List

Back