Northeast Loses 40% Of House Seats As People Flee High-tax States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Democracy in action. Democrats hate it when that happens.

And it looks like the feeling is mutual.

Of course, people probably aren't just saying, "Gee, my taxes are too high, I think I'll move to another state."

It probably centers a lot more around, "Gee, I lost my job, I have to get another, and I can't find one around here no matter how hard I try. Or the only jobs here involve a large pay cut. But there's some jobs in Texas that pay a lot more, looks like I'll have to go there whether I like it or not."

And why do jobs in Texas or South Dakota not vanish? And why do they pay their workers more? Because employers there aren't spending huge amounts of money on corporate taxes, govt-mandated bathroom and doorway renovations for wheelchairs that never come, huge accounting staffs to take care of the massive paperwork the govt demands for compliance with ever-mounting regulations, etc. And lately, soaring costs for Obamacare.

Liberals cling desperately to the idea that the changes they are making "do not really affect things very much, those employers are just greedy and whining".

Umm, yes, they do affect things. A lot. And you can't avoid the consequences, any more than you can cut down water to a garden and not see the plants die. And the plants aren't just greedy and whining.

And all the rhetoric, propaganda, and demagoguing in the world won't keep them alive if you take away their water.

--------------------------------------------------------

Northeast loses 40 of House seats as people flee high-tax states WashingtonExaminer.com

Northeast loses 40% of House seats as people flee high-tax states

by Paul Bedard
September 30, 2014 | 11:21 am

The Northeast, once the nation’s political engine that produced presidents, House speakers and Senate giants including the late Edward M. Kennedy, is losing clout in Washington as citizens flee the high-tax region, according to experts worried about the trend.

The Census Bureau reports that population growth has shifted to the South and the result is that the 11 states that make up the Northeast are being bled dry of representation in Washington.

Critics blame rising taxes in states such as Massachusetts and Connecticut for limiting population growth in the Northeast to just 15 percent from 1983 to 2013, while the rest of the nation grew more than 41 percent.

The biggest impact comes in the loss of congressional representation.

Deep in a recent report, for example, the American Legislative Exchange Council tabulated how the drop in population relative to the rest of the nation cut the region’s power in Washington. While the states from Pennsylvania to Maine had 141 House members in 1950, they are down to 85 today, a drop of some 40 percent.

California and Texas combined have more House representatives..

“This result is one of the most dramatic demographic shifts in American history. This migration is shifting the power center of America right before our very eyes. The movement isn’t random or even about weather or resources. Economic freedom is the magnet and states ignore this force at their own peril,” said the report.

You already posted this and there were plenty of comments. Why are you posting it again?

NOBODY has any problems with this???

When did the Clean Debate Zone become the No Debate Zone?

Not really. I live in the South so I wish them folks stayed home, but the reality is that our cost of living is so much lower, it does not surprise me. I doubt it is exclusively a "high tax" thing. More likely a high COL, at least that is what folks coming here say, which includes housing costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back