Northeast Earthquake?

NEW YORK – A 4.8 magnitude earthquake recorded in New Jersey that shook residents in surrounding states and New York City on Friday morning was one of the strongest in state history.

The temblor was reported about 5 miles north of Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, at about 10:23 a.m. Friday, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The epicenter was about 45 miles away from New York City, where residents reported shaking furniture and floors.

Earthquakes in this region are uncommon but not unexpected. It’s likely people near the epicenter are going to feel aftershocks for this earthquake in the magnitude 2-3 range, and there’s a small chance there can be an earthquake as large or larger, following an earthquake like this,” Paul Earle, a seismologist at the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program told reporters. “In terms of our operations this is a routine earthquake … Immediately we knew this would be of high interest and important to people who don’t feel earthquakes a lot.”

Climate change, right? :laugh:

I remember about 10 years ago here in Michigan there was a four-point-something quake.

I was in bed and felt some rumbling. I remember thinking ‘wow, a big truck must have drove by’

that’s about it. Only half the people I knew even noticed anything

Oh my GOSH!!! a 4.8!!! Oh no!!! The sky is falling! LOL!!! 4.8 and it takes up all the morning shows. So stupid!

1st, in the east you feel it much further away than in the west.

2nd. We don't get anything usually, the last big one for us was like a 3.5 in 2011.

A 4.8 is nothing. If it was from God, he'd give them a 7.4 shake. I'm in California laughing at all the hysteria from you back east. :laughing0301:

Well, a 4.8 is a start for New York at least, isn't it?

Starting slowly so to speak....

Well, a 4.8 is a start for New York at least, isn't it?

Starting slowly so to speak....
A wake up call? According to the Mayor, nothing has changed yet. Perhaps they should end the trials against Trump.

Unless you were in fairly close proximity, you wouldn't feel it. Under 5.0 is hardly noticeable usually.

Not so much in the northeast US. I was 50-60 miles away and it was definite shaking for around 20 seconds or more.

Like a freight train going by a building 10 feet away.

1st, in the east you feel it much further away than in the west.

2nd. We don't get anything usually, the last big one for us was like a 3.5 in 2011.
I've experience a 5.0 in Downey, CA. I was 50 miles away from the 1983 5.5 Coalinga, CA quake and I was 90 miles from the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake of 1989. The first two swung a few doors---no damage to speak of, but the Loma Prieta devastated the SF bay area and we had minor damage, cracked swimming pools etc.

Just had an aftershock. 4.0

At work this time, much less of a wobble.

A 4.8 is nothing. If it was from God, he'd give them a 7.4 shake. I'm in California laughing at all the hysteria from you back east. :laughing0301:
It’s a big story because it never happens there

Just like two feet of snow would be a huge story in Los Angeles

For all the East coasters here, I'm glad it wasn't worse.

NGL, Matthew 24 came to mind. The beginning of birth pangs...

Forum List

Back