No Warrant Annual Police Searches of Your Home

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Forget police drones flying over your house. How about police coming inside, once a year, to have a look around?

As Orwellian as that sounds, it isn’t hypothetical. The notion of police home inspections was introduced in a bill last week in Olympia...

“They always say, we’ll never go house to house to take your guns away. But then you see this, and you have to wonder.”

That’s no gun-rights absolutist talking, but Lance Palmer, a Seattle trial lawyer and self-described liberal who brought the troubling Senate Bill 5737 to my attention. It’s the long-awaited assault-weapons ban, introduced last week by three Seattle Democrats...

“In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall ... safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.”

In other words, come into homes without a warrant to poke around. Failure to comply could get you up to a year in jail.

“I’m a liberal Democrat — I’ve voted for only one Republican in my life,” Palmer told me. “But now I understand why my right-wing opponents worry about having to fight a government takeover...”

I spoke to two of the sponsors. One, Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, a lawyer who typically is hyper-attuned to civil-liberties issues, said he did not know the bill authorized police searches because he had not read it closely before signing on...

Misstep in gun bill could defeat the effort | Local News | The Seattle Times

They claim it was a "misstep," but what else would they say?

It strikes me as something they would put in in hopes that no one would notice it. Hell, one of the sponsors barely even read the damn bill, a perfect example...

In the city near where I live, the city has external home appearance standards and it's been suggested that the ordinance be expanded to include internal appearance and maintenance standards as well. That would necessarily include the right for city inspectors to come into a home and judge how well the occupants are meeting the standards.

Guns aren't your biggest worry when it comes to things like that. Wait until the health-Nazi's get schools the right to come in and monitor your family meals to combat student "obesity." Don't laugh. It's already been proposed in Arkansas, at least.

In the city near where I live, the city has external home appearance standards and it's been suggested that the ordinance be expanded to include internal appearance and maintenance standards as well. That would necessarily include the right for city inspectors to come into a home and judge how well the occupants are meeting the standards.

Guns aren't your biggest worry when it comes to things like that. Wait until the health-Nazi's get schools the right to come in and monitor your family meals to combat student "obesity." Don't laugh. It's already been proposed in Arkansas, at least.
City inspectors come around when there is a complaint, obvious code violation or a new building permit is pulled on an existing structure. The local Building and Safety departments don't have the manpower to do annual inspections of all the buildings and structures in their jurisdiction.

Forget police drones flying over your house. How about police coming inside, once a year, to have a look around?

As Orwellian as that sounds, it isn’t hypothetical. The notion of police home inspections was introduced in a bill last week in Olympia...

“They always say, we’ll never go house to house to take your guns away. But then you see this, and you have to wonder.”

That’s no gun-rights absolutist talking, but Lance Palmer, a Seattle trial lawyer and self-described liberal who brought the troubling Senate Bill 5737 to my attention. It’s the long-awaited assault-weapons ban, introduced last week by three Seattle Democrats...

“In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall ... safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.”

In other words, come into homes without a warrant to poke around. Failure to comply could get you up to a year in jail.

“I’m a liberal Democrat — I’ve voted for only one Republican in my life,” Palmer told me. “But now I understand why my right-wing opponents worry about having to fight a government takeover...”

I spoke to two of the sponsors. One, Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, a lawyer who typically is hyper-attuned to civil-liberties issues, said he did not know the bill authorized police searches because he had not read it closely before signing on...

It strikes me as something they would put in in hopes that no one would notice it. Hell, one of the sponsors barely even read the damn bill, a perfect example...

In the dark new world planned citizens are to become government property, state having authority over all. Just accept your implanted control chip and move along. Malcontents will be dealt with harshly. Sounds insane , right? Do not bet on it.

City inspectors come around when there is a complaint, obvious code violation or a new building permit is pulled on an existing structure. The local Building and Safety departments don't have the manpower to do annual inspections of all the buildings and structures in their jurisdiction.

All they have to do is hire more.

Civil war, anyone?

To paraphrase Gen. W.T. Sherman:

You people on the right don't know what you are doing.

This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about.

War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people who love the Constitution. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it… Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them?

You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors.

You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the support of sane, rational people, as you will be, your cause will begin to wane.

If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

In the dark new world planned citizens are to become government property, state having authority over all. Just accept your implanted control chip and move along. Malcontents will be dealt with harshly. Sounds insane , right? Do not bet on it.

Sounds like Daniel and Revelations to me.

Sounds like Daniel and Revelations to me.

Never heard of them. Do they play jazz or the blues.:wink_2:

Obviously you take no comfort in the fact that if for some bizarre reason this measure were to become law, it would be struck down as un-Constitutional by the courts.

Chalk it up to sloppy drafting of legislation, as acknowledged by the sponsors of the bill, and let the voters decide their fate.

But it’s absurd to assume no one would notice such an egregious violation of citizens’ civil liberties, the article itself is evidence of that.

Civil war, anyone?

This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about.

War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people who love the Constitution. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it… Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them?

You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors.

You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the support of sane, rational people, as you will be, your cause will begin to wane.

If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

I would offer only this one correction. "Those on the left don't know what they're doing." They are the ones who are so up on government intrusion in our lives, homes, etc.
Otherwise, you are correct. BTW, that's a great avatar. Been there, done that.

Obviously you take no comfort in the fact that if for some bizarre reason this measure were to become law, it would be struck down as un-Constitutional by the courts.

Chalk it up to sloppy drafting of legislation, as acknowledged by the sponsors of the bill, and let the voters decide their fate.

But it’s absurd to assume no one would notice such an egregious violation of citizens’ civil liberties, the article itself is evidence of that.

That's what we thought would happen with Obamacare, but it passed through the courts, didn't it?
My point is simple: If the left loads the SCOTUS with enough "progressives", we'll only see more of the same type of legislation get approved, and the American people are screwed.
There will be a time, and I'm thinking in the not too distant future, when we can no longer depend on the Judicial Branch to protect our Constitutional rights.

I think it is absolutely hilarious when we can not control drugs, or illegal immigration and there are actually people on the left who think they could ban, and collect out guns, and you would actually achieve something more than making sure only Criminals have guns, and turning millions of once law abiding citizens into criminal gun owners.

I searched the current SENATE BILL 5737 and found no reference to the inspection. Possibly it was removed from the updated bill. Would appreciated someone pointing out where this language exists in the bill.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5737.pdf

Civil war, anyone?

1. your signature is a factious statement.

2. What is your proposal to stop this shit?

I searched the current SENATE BILL 5737 and found no reference to the inspection. Possibly it was removed from the updated bill. Would appreciated someone pointing out where this language exists in the bill.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5737.pdf

How about doing a search of the city of Olympia

Civil war, anyone?

I would offer only this one correction. "Those on the left don't know what they're doing." They are the ones who are so up on government intrusion in our lives, homes, etc.
Otherwise, you are correct. BTW, that's a great avatar. Been there, done that.

It's not the left always blowing about revolution and rebellion these days.

Thanks for the tip o' the hat. Welcome home, brother.

Forum List

Back