NO MONEY to Sanctuary Cities/States/Counties

I honestly love all the law experts here. For some reason, they do not understand the difference between a Retainer Request, and a Warrant. So let me explain. A Retainer Request is a letter from the INS asking the local cops to hold on to this guy or that girl until they get around to picking them up. The INS says they need time to determine if the individual is really illegal or not. Now, a request, even a request from another law enforcement agency is not a legal command.

Now, if the INS sends a warrant over, the police have no choice, they are required by law, both federal and state, to execute all warrants. But the INS does not want to do warrants. That requires a judge, and a lot more paperwork. So they want to keep it unofficial. They want to make it a request. Hey buddy, hold on to that person for us. We might be along shortly to pick them up.

Now, we do not let states decide Federal issues. We grant them the right and authority to manage anything that is not a Federal Issue. States can not declare war. States can not close their borders and prevent people from entering. States can not do a lot of things, because those things are relegated to the Federal Government.

Immigration is one of those things. A state can not declare that the Illegal Immigrant is now legal, because they said so. But States are not doing that. What they are doing is ignoring the requests. No request has the force of law. It is asking for something. What they are saying is that the Federal Government decided and the Supreme Court upheld the simple truth that immigration is a Federal Issue. It’s your authority to decide it, and enforce it. So enforce it without our help. If you want this person, get them on your own.

Now the Feds don’t want that. They want the locals to “cooperate” and by that they mean obey. But the Feds don’t want to take responsibility for their requests. They do not take over the responsibility of holding the individual in jail. It is a request, and not a legal order. That means the local cops are liable. They are liable and they are potentially criminally responsible.

Not the only case, but just one. The Sheriff decided to continue calling INS, but not hold the suspects after their issue with the courts had been acted upon. So even if the INS sends the request, the Sheriff is prohibited by the Courts from honoring it. Or do you think that the request of a Federal Agent to hold someone is more powerful than a Judge? Because if you do, a lot of really streamlined justice can be meted out rather quickly. It won’t be just, and it won’t be based in law, but hey, at least it will be fast.

The “Sanctuary” cities, counties and states, are not forming a human barricade to stop the INS. That would be illegal. They are just saying that the INS is on it’s own and will get no assistance. That is perfectly fine. It is their right, and it is legal.

Let’s say that the police wanted access to my doorbell camera. I say no. The cop insists. I still say no. I am free to say no until I am given a warrant or subpoena. A written request does not carry any weight of law. It must be an order signed by the judge. Then I am compelled by law to obey. If I refuse after being given the warrant, then I am committing a crime.

But ignoring a request? That always has been and always will be legal.

I have explained this no less than 100 times on this board. The half wits will now claim that all you are all about are the so - called "illegal aliens." BTW, I worked IN immigration law for six years. You can check my posts and figure it out. I'm not lying and telling the clique group here the facts does not put me "in the business" ... fill in the blank with your favorite slur. Having worked the prosecution side, defense side, expert witness, and worked with people to pass the citizenship test ... as well as man the border as a civilian border patrol volunteer, I think I know most of the facts from the B.S. That's was what I set out to do way back then.

I have no problem calling them Illegal Aliens. I encourage the Federal Government to enforce their laws. I object when the Federal Government demands that locals enforce their laws. Just as I did when the Brady Law required local police to conduct Federally approved background checks using Federal Databases. Now,, those checks are made by the FBI. Which is exactly the way it should be. Your laws, you passed them, you enforce them, you do the work.

When the Brady Law was passed, this old man remembers the long discussions held over the term Unfunded Mandate. That was a bad thing. But now it is a good thing according to the members of the same party that opposed the Unfunded Mandate back then. Forcing Sheriff’s and Taxpayers to hold a guy for a couple days, or longer, at their own expense, and using limited space, is totally fine. While a ten minute background check was too expensive, back then.

It’s all bullshit. There was a story when Bill Clinton was being sworn in for the first time. It is almost certainly bullshit. However the story goes that as the Air Force Jets flew over, a staffer asked another what the hell the Military was doing here. The second staffer said that those were ours now.

The same Unfunded Mandate attitude that needed to be opposed during the Clinton Era, are now the duties of every citizen today. That it cost even more to hold a guy for days in jail than it did to perform a background check is irrelevant. That the same principles that applied then, are un-American today is ignored. Assuming that today’s Neo Conservatives and Neo Constitutionalists are even aware of the history.
This "when the Federal Government demands that locals enforce their laws" line is so old and shot to hell, it is just a pile of smelly dust. For the 20 millionth time in 7 years that I've been in this forum, nobody is asking anybody to do anything, except just ABIDE BY the federal law (US Code 8 Section 1324 & 1373). Don't declare sanctuary, and don't conceal, harbor, shield illegal aliens, If you do, feds are gonna deliver a can of whoop ass on you. Eventually, they'll get around to it.

This has been told waaaay more than enough times fro everybody to have gotten it by now.

For refusing a request? Death Penalty? Really? Hi Boys and Girls. The word for the day is unhinged. Can you say unhinged?

As I said I am an old man. Perhaps you can educate me. Explain to me why the Unfunded Mandate of the Brady Law was unconstitutional. The requirement that local Sheriff’s had to have a phone line and operators standing by to conduct background checks was too expensive and manpower intensive. Yet, holding a guy for days in a jail with overcrowding as most do, absent charges, based upon a Detainer Request, is not an Unfunded Mandate?

Better yet, why not get a warrant? If there is a warrant, the local cops have no choice. They must comply. That is the law in both Federal and States. Any police officers who do not comply with the warrant can be prosecuted. Any department that refuses to allow officers to comply with the warrant would be criminal and subject to criminal and civil penalties.

So why not get a Warrant? End the entire debate. End the entire discussion. Make the Sanctuary Cities and States irrelevant. Warrants must be executed right?
Yup, really. Try reading THE LAW, and you won't come in here talking foolish. I can educate you if you can accept the education >>>

"(iv) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) resulting in the death of any person, be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined under title 18, or both."

As for making Sanctuary Cities and States irrelevant, that can be done very easily just be ENFORCING US Code 8 sections 1324 & 1373. Get with it, Trump/Barr.

Trump has threatened to withhold aid money to governments that have sanctuary policies for illegal aliens. Good.

And together with that, the leaders of these traitorous governments should be arrested. Convicting them should be easy, since they signed their names to these illegal sanctuary policies, by actually passing laws to shield illegal aliens from detection, and conceal them.

Slam dunk.

Cities should want illegal aliens as they take the jobs no one wants and contribute to the economy there. I'm not against the working poor coming in to my city. They get rid of homeless as they move out because of competition for the scant resources for the poor. People die and these people help replace them. This is what America was founded on. The homeless move to the non-sanctuary cities nearby.
Its really amazing that after DECADES of squashing these idiotic notions >> ("they take the jobs no one wants and contribute to the economy there"), into dust, peole still persist in advancng them here in USMB. Oh boy.

OK for the 20 millionth time on this too, NO, illegal aliens DO NOT take jobs no one wants. In studies of 474 separate occupations defined by the Department of Commerce, we find only a handful of majority-immigrant occupations, and none completely dominated by immigrants (legal or illegal). Furthermore, in none of the 474 occupations, do illegal immigrants constitute a majority of workers.

Secondly, illegal aliens are nowhere to be found in some of the most dangerous, toughest, and dirtiest jobs in America.

1590055243565.png
1590055373705.png

1590055409571.png
1590055476419.png

So this is now going to be a new excuse for hiring illegal aliens ? Getting rid of the homeless ? Too ludicrous to even comment.

Better solution, give the homeless AMERICANS jobs so they won't BE homeless any more. How about filling in all the job holes in companies using recordings instead of live operators, in customer service departments ?

I had a question, and perhaps you could help clarify the issue for me. Why not go with a warrant? The local cops are required to execute a warrant. Now, my impression is that once a warrant is issued, then certain protections, including access to a lawyer are essentially automatic. The ability to administratively decide the outcome of the case, and present it to an overworked immigration judge as a done deal is out the window. I say impression, because I am not a lawyer. And during my discussions with lawyers this has never come up, and I don’t know any immigration lawyers.

I know the detaining of individuals at port of entries has been an issue for a long time. Actions that I consider to be absolutely unconstitutional. Detaining a citizen for hours without a lawyer is problematic at best. Don’t get me started on the hundred mile from a port of entry authority of CBP to search vehicles.

However, I really can’t understand why the CBP does not just end the Sanctuary Cities policies with a Warrant. Even the most States Rights defenders could not argue with a Warrant.
Because warrants take TIME,that's why.

1. Name a link to 1 case. It is not a clear violation as there is no law that requires states or local governments to cooperate. ICE can ask for help from local governments but local governments are not required to honor such a request.

2. You have not eliminated anything. You continue to show your ignorance by repeating the4 same nonsense. What law requires local governments to cooperate with ICE? There is no such law as it would be unconstitutional.
YOU KNOW what law it is. First of all, it;s not just US Code 8 Section 1324, it is also Section 1373 and the DOJ has already gone after 29 juristictions, who only got off (temporarily) because (luckily for them) the DOJ went through a personnel change (Sessions to Barr), and the DOJ got into other matters, caused by Democrat deflections.

All this was posted just 14 hours ago in this thread, Post # 187. You have no excuse to be asking for this now.

Don't hold your breath waiting. You'll die from lack of oxygen which might not be a bad thing.
You have no more reason to think it won't happen, than I have to think it will. In fact, I like my chances right now better. - based on 2 words > Trump re-election.
1590056705370.png

After Trump is re-elected and no longer has to sweat re-election (if it ever was a sweat), he'll be free to do a lot of things, like really taking care of immigration.

Flip Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and Trump loses. That is all Biden has to do. However Arizona, Texas and even Georgia are in play.
Trouble Biden has, is not flipping those states. His trouble is he has FLIPPED HIS LID. :laugh:

1590057028011.png

Yeah his brain (what's left of it) And then there's that other problem. His hands and his nose. Here he is sniffing the Defense Secretary's wife's hair, with his hand on her breast. What's going on here ? If you want the job, you've got to let the VP sexually assault your wife, on national TV ?

1590057370564.png

The federal government can demand all they want. The fact is no court case has been filed. That is all it is. Threats.

You are WRONG > US Code 8 Section 1324 has MANY court cases filed. Ranked 2nd in frequency was the lead charge "Bringing in and harboring certain aliens" under Title 8 U.S.C Section 1324., with 237 cases filed for prosecution."Bringing in and harboring certain aliens" under Title 8 U.S.C Section 1324 was ranked 2 a year ago, while it was ranked 2 five years ago.

Table 2 shows the top lead charges recorded in the prosecutions of immigration matters filed in U.S. District Court during March 2020.

Lead ChargeCountRank1yr ago5yrs ago
08 USC 1326 - Reentry of deported alien1,975111More
08 USC 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens237222More
18 USC 1546 - Fraud and misuse of visas, permits, and other documents52333More
08 USC 1325 - Entry of alien at improper time or place; etc.32444More
42 USC 408 - Fed Old Age, Survivors & Disab Insur -Penalties1051911More
18 USC 1544 - Misuse of passport9655More
19 USC 1459 - Reporting requirements for individuals87614More
18 USC 1001 - Fraud/false statements or entries generally58129More
18 USC 1542 - False statement in application and use of passport29126More
21 USC 952 - Importation of controlled substances291117More

HAPPY READING ! :biggrin:

Last edited:
1. Name a link to 1 case. It is not a clear violation as there is no law that requires states or local governments to cooperate. ICE can ask for help from local governments but local governments are not required to honor such a request.

2. You have not eliminated anything. You continue to show your ignorance by repeating the4 same nonsense. What law requires local governments to cooperate with ICE? There is no such law as it would be unconstitutional.
YOU KNOW what law it is. First of all, it;s not just US Code 8 Section 1324, it is also Section 1373 and the DOJ has already gone after 29 juristictions, who only got off (temporarily) because (luckily for them) the DOJ went through a personnel change (Sessions to Barr), and the DOJ got into other matters, caused by Democrat deflections.

All this was posted just 14 hours ago in this thread, Post # 187. You have no excuse to be asking for this now.

Or perhaps because the DOJ was bluffing. Barr realizes there was nothing to this and has quietly let it slide.

The federal government can demand all they want. The fact is no court case has been filed. That is all it is. Threats.

You are WRONG>US Code 8 Section 1324 has MANY court cases filed. Ranked 2nd in frequency was the lead charge "Bringing in and harboring certain aliens" under Title 8 U.S.C Section 1324., with 237 cases filed for prosecution."Bringing in and harboring certain aliens" under Title 8 U.S.C Section 1324 was ranked 2 a year ago, while it was ranked 2 five years ago.

Table 2 shows the top lead charges recorded in the prosecutions of immigration matters filed in U.S. District Court during March 2020.

Lead ChargeCountRank1yr ago5yrs ago
08 USC 1326 - Reentry of deported alien1,975111More
08 USC 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens237222More
18 USC 1546 - Fraud and misuse of visas, permits, and other documents52333More
08 USC 1325 - Entry of alien at improper time or place; etc.32444More
42 USC 408 - Fed Old Age, Survivors & Disab Insur -Penalties1051911More
18 USC 1544 - Misuse of passport9655More
19 USC 1459 - Reporting requirements for individuals87614More
18 USC 1001 - Fraud/false statements or entries generally58129More
18 USC 1542 - False statement in application and use of passport29126More
21 USC 952 - Importation of controlled substances291117More

HAPPY READING ! :biggrin:

Youi are still barking up the wrong tree. These are actions against individuals not local governments. They have nothing to do with a local government refusing to cooperate with ICE. There are no statutes that apply because they would be unconstitutional.

Don't hold your breath waiting. You'll die from lack of oxygen which might not be a bad thing.
You have no more reason to think it won't happen, than I have to think it will. In fact, I like my chances right now better. - based on 2 words > Trump re-election. View attachment 338963

After Trump is re-elected and no longer has to sweat re-election (if it ever was a sweat), he'll be free to do a lot of things, like really taking care of immigration.

I love my chances. Trump will not be re-elected.

Or perhaps because the DOJ was bluffing. Barr realizes there was nothing to this and has quietly let it slide.
You HOPE. :laugh: But you've been wrong on everything else in this thread, so 1 more wouldn't matter much.

Youi are still barking up the wrong tree. These are actions against individuals not local governments. They have nothing to do with a local government refusing to cooperate with ICE. There are no statutes that apply because they would be unconstitutional.
You don't know what those cases are. You are full of shit. I just posted the table MINUTES ago. So you read all 237 cases in 5 minutes, did you ? :right:

You said there were NO CASES. There were 237 (and that was only just up to March of this year). You got proved wrong, and you lost this debate, and you're not fooling anybody.

That's always the solution for you right wing nuts, just cut off all funding the sanctuary cities and that'll straighten them out Well, I got news for you, California could just tell the Fed Gov't to flip off and it would be the FIFTH largest economy in the world!!!
I wish California would do just that, and secede from the USA, while they are at it. I lived in that degraded wasteland for 12 years, and I know how bad it is. Good riddance California. Too bad we cant just take a chainsaw and cut them off from the US , and let them drift out to sea, and get as far away as possible. Bon voyage!

In 2016, I was overjoyed to see those 3 Pacific coast states' electoral votes rendered irrelevant, with Trump being victorious, even before their illegal alien votes were counted. They got beaten by just Texas, Louisiana, and Florida alone.

View attachment 338508

Flip Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and Trump loses. That is all Biden has to do. However Arizona, Texas and even Georgia are in play.

I hate to admit it, but Georgia is vulnerable. Stacey Abrams got over 48 percent of the vote in her run for governor. She is the most left wing liberal the Democrats have AND she's rumored to be a VP candidate for Biden. Abrams only took a few Georgia counties, but they were densely populated areas. Where I live the Dems got around half the votes and this is a BIG county (nearly a million people) and they've been building condos and apartments on every piece of real estate in this county ever since Abrams ran.

I've noticed the Democrats are running tv commercials day and night with hardly no Republican buying time to counter them with.

I honestly love all the law experts here. For some reason, they do not understand the difference between a Retainer Request, and a Warrant. So let me explain. A Retainer Request is a letter from the INS asking the local cops to hold on to this guy or that girl until they get around to picking them up. The INS says they need time to determine if the individual is really illegal or not. Now, a request, even a request from another law enforcement agency is not a legal command.

Now, if the INS sends a warrant over, the police have no choice, they are required by law, both federal and state, to execute all warrants. But the INS does not want to do warrants. That requires a judge, and a lot more paperwork. So they want to keep it unofficial. They want to make it a request. Hey buddy, hold on to that person for us. We might be along shortly to pick them up.

Now, we do not let states decide Federal issues. We grant them the right and authority to manage anything that is not a Federal Issue. States can not declare war. States can not close their borders and prevent people from entering. States can not do a lot of things, because those things are relegated to the Federal Government.

Immigration is one of those things. A state can not declare that the Illegal Immigrant is now legal, because they said so. But States are not doing that. What they are doing is ignoring the requests. No request has the force of law. It is asking for something. What they are saying is that the Federal Government decided and the Supreme Court upheld the simple truth that immigration is a Federal Issue. It’s your authority to decide it, and enforce it. So enforce it without our help. If you want this person, get them on your own.

Now the Feds don’t want that. They want the locals to “cooperate” and by that they mean obey. But the Feds don’t want to take responsibility for their requests. They do not take over the responsibility of holding the individual in jail. It is a request, and not a legal order. That means the local cops are liable. They are liable and they are potentially criminally responsible.

Not the only case, but just one. The Sheriff decided to continue calling INS, but not hold the suspects after their issue with the courts had been acted upon. So even if the INS sends the request, the Sheriff is prohibited by the Courts from honoring it. Or do you think that the request of a Federal Agent to hold someone is more powerful than a Judge? Because if you do, a lot of really streamlined justice can be meted out rather quickly. It won’t be just, and it won’t be based in law, but hey, at least it will be fast.

The “Sanctuary” cities, counties and states, are not forming a human barricade to stop the INS. That would be illegal. They are just saying that the INS is on it’s own and will get no assistance. That is perfectly fine. It is their right, and it is legal.

Let’s say that the police wanted access to my doorbell camera. I say no. The cop insists. I still say no. I am free to say no until I am given a warrant or subpoena. A written request does not carry any weight of law. It must be an order signed by the judge. Then I am compelled by law to obey. If I refuse after being given the warrant, then I am committing a crime.

I have explained this no less than 100 times on this board. The half wits will now claim that all you are all about are the so - called "illegal aliens." BTW, I worked IN immigration law for six years. You can check my posts and figure it out. I'm not lying and telling the clique group here the facts does not put me "in the business" ... fill in the blank with your favorite slur. Having worked the prosecution side, defense side, expert witness, and worked with people to pass the citizenship test ... as well as man the border as a civilian border patrol volunteer, I think I know most of the facts from the B.S. That's was what I set out to do way back then.

I had a question, and perhaps you could help clarify the issue for me. Why not go with a warrant? The local cops are required to execute a warrant. Now, my impression is that once a warrant is issued, then certain protections, including access to a lawyer are essentially automatic. The ability to administratively decide the outcome of the case, and present it to an overworked immigration judge as a done deal is out the window. I say impression, because I am not a lawyer. And during my discussions with lawyers this has never come up, and I don’t know any immigration lawyers.

I know the detaining of individuals at port of entries has been an issue for a long time. Actions that I consider to be absolutely unconstitutional. Detaining a citizen for hours without a lawyer is problematic at best. Don’t get me started on the hundred mile from a port of entry authority of CBP to search vehicles.

However, I really can’t understand why the CBP does not just end the Sanctuary Cities policies with a Warrant. Even the most States Rights defenders could not argue with a Warrant.

A warrant for what?

Instead of just detaining the illegal immigrant have a warrant for his arrest.

Somewhere you lost me in the process. If a foreigner is not detected at the point of entry OR they have not overstayed a visa, nobody knows who has the right papers and who does not. Then, the Courts apply the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Amendments to foreigners so they are presumed innocent and you have to have probable cause to challenge their immigration status. By providing sanctuary, the states are neither encouraging foreigners to go there nor are they necessarily aiding them.

I do not want sanctuary challenged as I am a constitutionalist. Sanctuary came about because gun owners had the advantage of law enforcement that did not want to be compelled to enforce the Brady Bill. And so, sheriffs from across the United States challenged it all the way up to the United States Supreme Court. It is called the Printz decision. In that ruling the United States Supreme Court RULED on the matter. According to Wikepedia's explanation:

" The Court quoted Federalist No. 51’s argument that by giving voters control over dual sovereign governments "a double security arises to the rights of the people. The different governments will control each other, at the same time that each will be controlled by itself."[11][12] The Court concluded that allowing the Federal government to draft the police officers of the 50 states into its service would increase its powers far beyond what the Constitution intends.

...The Government had argued that the anti-commandeering doctrine established in New York v. United States (1992), which held that Congress could not command state legislatures to either pass a law or take ownership of nuclear waste, did not apply to state officials.[6] Rejecting the Government's argument, the Court held that the Tenth Amendment categorically forbids the Federal Government from commanding state officials directly.[6] As such, the Brady Act's mandate on the Sheriffs to perform background checks was unconstitutional
" Printz v. United States, 521 U.S. 898 (1997)

The sanctuary cities that exist rely on the Printz ruling and that is how they've won:

Trump is now asking the United States Supreme Court to do away with the anti-commandeering doctrine. I disagree and it don't have squat to do with immigration as the resident homophobe suggests. My objections are twofold:

1) The purpose of the United States Supreme Court is to interpret the law. When the United States Supreme Court reverses / reintreprets their own rulings, that is legislating from the bench. That is wholly unconstitutional and you cannot find any authority for it in the Constitution of the United States

2) If Trump prevails, the Democrats will use the precedent to outlaw Second Amendment sanctuary cities and compel state and local law enforcement to enforce unconstitutional laws like Red Flag gun laws, warrant less search and seizures, and firearm confiscation / registration schemes.

Sometimes you have to look at the facts both the right and left provide to see if you can come to the truth. protectionist has listed what he believes are the talking points of the right. Here are some that appear to be a little more moderate to left leaning. If we pick the two apart, we get a more accurate picture of the issue:

I have no problem calling them Illegal Aliens. I encourage the Federal Government to enforce their laws. I object when the Federal Government demands that locals enforce their laws. Just as I did when the Brady Law required local police to conduct Federally approved background checks using Federal Databases. Now,, those checks are made by the FBI. Which is exactly the way it should be. Your laws, you passed them, you enforce them, you do the work.

When the Brady Law was passed, this old man remembers the long discussions held over the term Unfunded Mandate. That was a bad thing. But now it is a good thing according to the members of the same party that opposed the Unfunded Mandate back then. Forcing Sheriff’s and Taxpayers to hold a guy for a couple days, or longer, at their own expense, and using limited space, is totally fine. While a ten minute background check was too expensive, back then.

It’s all bullshit. There was a story when Bill Clinton was being sworn in for the first time. It is almost certainly bullshit. However the story goes that as the Air Force Jets flew over, a staffer asked another what the hell the Military was doing here. The second staffer said that those were ours now.

The same Unfunded Mandate attitude that needed to be opposed during the Clinton Era, are now the duties of every citizen today. That it cost even more to hold a guy for days in jail than it did to perform a background check is irrelevant. That the same principles that applied then, are un-American today is ignored. Assuming that today’s Neo Conservatives and Neo Constitutionalists are even aware of the history.
This "when the Federal Government demands that locals enforce their laws" line is so old and shot to hell, it is just a pile of smelly dust. For the 20 millionth time in 7 years that I've been in this forum, nobody is asking anybody to do anything, except just ABIDE BY the federal law (US Code 8 Section 1324 & 1373). Don't declare sanctuary, and don't conceal, harbor, shield illegal aliens, If you do, feds are gonna deliver a can of whoop ass on you. Eventually, they'll get around to it.

This has been told waaaay more than enough times fro everybody to have gotten it by now.

And my previous links, quoting well trained legal scholars shoots your misinformation all to Hell.

Forum List

Back