No Americans want those jobs is a myth

Because certain industries have been overrun with illegals for so many decades the wages in those industries have been suppressed. Employers have had no incentive over the years to raise those wages precisely because they have an endless supply of fools from South of the border to work for those wages.

Americans would do those jobs but they can't compete with the asinine wages illegals are willing to work for. Businesses demand more green card workers because they know they can keep wages suppressed.

We DO NEED strict enforcement of laws concerning employment status to protect what should be American jobs. All the politicians that claim to care about the border yet do nothing to enforce existing hiring practices are just as much part of the problem as the ones who strive for open borders.

As an example is the price illegals will install hard surfaces for here in KC. My base price is 10.00 per square foot and us only lowered for large quantity jobs. The Mexicans around here do the same work for 3.00 per square foot.
How is any American expected to compete with that?

To be fair, there are probably very FEW Americans who want to work in the fields picking fruits & vegetables.

Again, hunger makes people do things they would not normally do.

That's the excuse that some looters use.

But if they are hungry, why not loot bread stores instead of shoe stores?

We achieved full employment before COVID. Who was going to work those jobs in early 2020 when everyone already had jobs?

Simply put, those jobs just wouldn’t exist and that would have an upstream effect.
youre confused,, again,,

full employment doesnt mean everyone that can is working,, youre leaving out the people that refuse to work and live on some form of welfare,,

Of course the flip side of this is that the cheap food vegetables you buy for your family will cost much more if we paid people more to pick, pack, and ship the food.

Because certain industries have been overrun with illegals for so many decades the wages in those industries have been suppressed. Employers have had no incentive over the years to raise those wages precisely because they have an endless supply of fools from South of the border to work for those wages.

Americans would do those jobs but they can't compete with the asinine wages illegals are willing to work for. Businesses demand more green card workers because they know they can keep wages suppressed.

We DO NEED strict enforcement of laws concerning employment status to protect what should be American jobs. All the politicians that claim to care about the border yet do nothing to enforce existing hiring practices are just as much part of the problem as the ones who strive for open borders.

As an example is the price illegals will install hard surfaces for here in KC. My base price is 10.00 per square foot and us only lowered for large quantity jobs. The Mexicans around here do the same work for 3.00 per square foot.

To be fair, there are probably very FEW Americans who want to work in the fields picking fruits & vegetables.

99% of LAWFUL Americans won't do that. Instead, they will search out lower paying jobs that will put food on the table for their children and (hopefully) keep a roof over their heads.

Yes, there might possibly come a time when things change so drastically that men may very well walk into a grocery store and tell the manager - "Look, I'm out of work and my children are hungry. Either I can work sweeping floors or whatever for a few groceries, or I can steal them". THAT is what lawful Americans might do.

Of course the flip side of this is that the cheap food vegetables you buy for your family will cost much more if we paid people more to pick, pack, and ship the food.
That is what they want.
True. Nobody forces them to do this.

I was pointing out though that there is a benefit to the low wages paid by companies be it your local contractor, Del Monte, Dole, or Wal*Mart.

The low wages make it hard for others to compete but in the macro...the lower costs mean lower prices.

99% of LAWFUL Americans won't do that. Instead, they will search out lower paying jobs that will put food on the table for their children and (hopefully) keep a roof over their heads.

Yes, there might possibly come a time when things change so drastically that men may very well walk into a grocery store and tell the manager - "Look, I'm out of work and my children are hungry. Either I can work sweeping floors or whatever for a few groceries, or I can steal them". THAT is what lawful Americans might do.
I was in rest. management in the 1980's. People would ask for food because they were broke. I couldn't give it to them because it wasn't my property too give away.

This subject is why you had working class Americans marching in D.C. 1/6/21 The rich may not want to do those jobs but my parents did and had us kids working right there with them back in the 1960s and 70s. Low income Americans will have those jobs.

You just wrote the reason why we need to raise the minimum wage.

I was in rest. management in the 1980's. People would ask for food because they were broke. I couldn't give it to them because it wasn't my property too give away.
Did you think of going to your boss and discussing with him a way to give food to the poor? My local grocery store, just had a huge food drive for the local food bank, another store, that's a large national chain, did the same...I also know a number of restaurants that have given as well.

Too bad you didn't think enough to ask your boss.,...

That is what they want.
People want to pay more of food? Really? Who?
Why everyone.
well I am part of "everyone" and I certainly don't want to pay more for my groceries....I can think of a number of people I know as well...so...your claim as been debunked.

It depends how you define it. People don't want to pay more for the same crap they're getting now. But if you offer a higher quality product, but tell them it will be at a higher price, many will opt to spend more.

That is what they want.
Why everyone.
well I am part of "everyone" and I certainly don't want to pay more for my groceries....I can think of a number of people I know as well...so...your claim as been debunked.
You are going to whether you want to or not.

You just wrote the reason why we need to raise the minimum wage.
not really...then these businesses will just pay that min wage to the folks willing to work for it...doesn't change anything...just how much they pay the lowest earners, and how much they charge consumers for the finished product.

Did you think of going to your boss and discussing with him a way to give food to the poor? My local grocery store, just had a huge food drive for the local food bank, another store, that's a large national chain, did the same...I also know a number of restaurants that have given as well.

My boss wasn't around at that very moment when someone ask for food that is why they hire managers.

Might very well be - if I hadn't retired several years ago..........:eek:

It depends how you define it. People don't want to pay more for the same crap they're getting now. But if you offer a higher quality product, but tell them it will be at a higher price, many will opt to spend more.
sure people will pay more for better quality products...they do now...

That is what they want.
Why everyone.
You are going to whether you want to or not.

well now you are moving goal post...if I have to, I have to...but that doesn't mean I want to.

Moreover, if something is too expensive...I simply won't buy it. I'll buy something else, that's cheaper

Forum List

Back