No American men left at US open

I dig tennis. What he hell is "MMA"?

Tennis is all right. I am sorry if I offended you. MMA stands for mixed martial arts. A typical MMA athlete possesses expertise in at least two martial art disciplines. One enables him to fight on his feet. Another enables him to fight when the fight goes to the ground. In my limited experience the most useful skills to combine are Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. But I have seen lots of successful wrestling and boxing combinations as well. Chris Weidman for example who defeated Anderson Silva is primarily a wrestler who added boxing to his skill set.

No offense taken, to each his own. I like the lateral movements of tennis. If I'm a spectator I prefer to watch women's tennis, as they know how to do it with grace whereas men's tennis is more about overpowering each other, which is boring. When Martina Navratilova was playing I would never miss a match.

I just don't get a return out of MMA, but again, personal taste.

When you say "Brazilian jiu jitsu" are you referring to Capoeira?

No offense taken, to each his own. I like the lateral movements of tennis. If I'm a spectator I prefer to watch women's tennis, as they know how to do it with grace whereas men's tennis is more about overpowering each other, which is boring. When Martina Navratilova was playing I would never miss a match.

I just don't get a return out of MMA, but again, personal taste.

When you say "Brazilian jiu jitsu" are you referring to Capoeira?

I am not familiar with Capoeira so I cannot say if it is similar to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or not. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu specifically deals with techniques of fighting on the ground. The closest relative to Jiu Jitsu that I can think of would be wrestling. In wrestling you wear shorts but in Jiu Jitsu you get to wear Gi.

I have played tennis few times. I liked the idea of hitting a ball coming at you with high velocity. It kind of reminded me of cricket.

Capoeira looks like this - it's combined with music, which (music) is why I'm familiar with it:

Capoeira looks like this - it's combined with music, which (music) is why I'm familiar with it:

I went to Youtube and watched some videos of Capoeira. It is beautiful to watch but realistically speaking it is not going to be very effective in a MMA tournament. The techniques that are proven in MMA fights are following: Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling and Boxing.

I went to Youtube and watched some videos of Capoeira. It is beautiful to watch but realistically speaking it is not going to be very effective in a MMA tournament. The techniques that are proven in MMA fights are following: Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling and Boxing.

OK so it's not the same thing. I don't know anything about martial arts but I've heard Capoeira referred to as "Brazilian judo" or "Brazilian jiu jitsu", either of which is obviously a dumb-down term.

OK so it's not the same thing. I don't know anything about martial arts but I've heard Capoeira referred to as "Brazilian judo" or "Brazilian jiu jitsu", either of which is obviously a dumb-down term.

Based on the videos I have seen of Capoeira, it is not close to Jiu Jitsu at all. The school where I learned Brazilian Jiu Jitsu also included Judo in its Jiu Jitsu classes because Brazilian Jiu Jitsu does not have any technique at all to deal with the opponent when he is standing on his feet. So I have some exposure to Judo as well and I can say that Capoeira is not close to Judo either. The heavy duty dancing in Capoeira reminds me of Kung Fu actually. I have never officially attended a Kung Fu school so I cannot say that for sure.

Based on the videos I have seen of Capoeira, it is not close to Jiu Jitsu at all. The school where I learned Brazilian Jiu Jitsu also included Judo in its Jiu Jitsu classes because Brazilian Jiu Jitsu does not have any technique at all to deal with the opponent when he is standing on his feet. So I have some exposure to Judo as well and I can say that Capoeira is not close to Judo either. The heavy duty dancing in Capoeira reminds me of Kung Fu actually. I have never officially attended a Kung Fu school so I cannot say that for sure.

Yes I know they're not the same or related (Capoeira tradition comes from Angola) but the names of them are sometimes conflated. That's why I wondered.

Somehow tennis is controlled by our president..:cuckoo:..According to the future dementia patient
Your boy doesn't control anything...he fails at everything...ergo the age of failure...2+2=?

Erm... if I may, deltex, Obama runs a country (albeit feebly and futilely) not a tennis court; and while he is an avid golfer, I doubt his success as a golfer or a president relies on his ability to make sure Americans succeed in tennis. No sir, Obama does not control everything.

Those American athletes failed on their own demerits in performance. Blaming Obama for the failures of America's athletes is like blaming a gun for killing someone. Apples and oranges.

Somehow tennis is controlled by our president..:cuckoo:..According to the future dementia patient
Your boy doesn't control anything...he fails at everything...ergo the age of failure...2+2=?

Erm... if I may, deltex, Obama runs a country (albeit feebly and futilely) not a tennis court; and while he is an avid golfer, I doubt his success as a golfer or a president relies on his ability to make sure Americans succeed in tennis. No sir, Obama does not control everything.

Those American athletes failed on their own demerits in performance. Blaming Obama for the failures of America's athletes is like blaming a gun for killing someone. Apples and oranges.

Ask him about teeth now. :D

Yes I know they're not the same or related (Capoeira tradition comes from Angola) but the names of them are sometimes conflated. That's why I wondered.

Martial arts also known as eastern martial arts have their origin in ancient India with the formation of what is known as Kalaripayattu - the oldest martial art discipline. Its origin predates Buddha. Once Dharma (Buddhist faith) took strong root in India, many Indian monks started to make the journey to other countries to spread the Dharma. An Indian Buddhist monk, Bodhidharma traveled to China with an intent to bring Dharma to China. Once in China, he established what is known as Shaolin temple to spread the words of Buddha. Shortly after he established Shaolin temple, the temple came under attack by some Chinese factions. So Bodhidharma decided to teach his Chinese monks the techniques of Kalaripayattu as a self defense measure. This transformed into Kung Fu and various other martial art disciplines that later made their way all the way to Japan. There was a nice documentary made by Josette Normandeau for the Natioanl Geographic featuring Kalaripayattu.

Forum List

Back