NHS Set For 48-Hour Junior Doctors Strike

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Socialized medicine is awesome!! We absolutely MUST bring this here to the United States.

Junior doctors in England will begin their first 48-hour strike within hours as part of their ongoing protest over threats to impose a new contract.

The 38,000 members of the British Medical Association will provide emergency care only from 8am on Wednesday.

More than 5,000 operations are expected to be cancelled over the following two days.

Outpatient clinics are also likely to be affected as consultants rearrange their work to cover gaps left by striking medics.

NHS Set For 48-Hour Junior Doctors Strike

The Department of Health wants changes made to unsocial hours payments and working hours to ensure more junior doctors are available at weekends.

Anyone got Shakespeare's cell phone number, so we can get this interpreted into English?

I love it when Americans describe something occurring overseas about which they know virtually nothing. It's almost as amusing as when they argue that medical professionals have no right to be fatigued through over-long hours and, in being fatigued, make possibly deadly mistakes.

Tommy Tainant has extensively explained the reasons for the NHS's current troubles (simple explanation: revenue sources have been privatized and gambled with by current politicians), but y'all will spend your time trying to morph it into something it isn't.

Carry on.

I love it when Americans describe something occurring overseas about which they know virtually nothing. It's almost as amusing as when they argue that medical professionals have no right to be fatigued through over-long hours and, in being fatigued, make possibly deadly mistakes.

Tommy Tainant has extensively explained the reasons for the NHS's current troubles (simple explanation: revenue sources have been privatized and gambled with by current politicians), but y'all will spend your time trying to morph it into something it isn't.

Carry on.

Your simple explaination doesn't explain anything.

Carry on.

To an intelligent person it says: Read Tommy Tainant's posts.

Carry on.

Carry on.

Ask for the link to the thread of the post.

While Tommy has been informative, he has also been pretty biased.

Carry on.

To an intelligent person it says: Read Tommy Tainant's posts.

To a person without time to read everything in someone's post my response say "if you want to make your point, summarize".

Its not quite that straightforward.

The tories are ideologically opposed to the NHS.
Whenever they get into power they try and chip away at it.

This time they have a clear majority and are cutting into it on a grand scale.
Most of the government have interests in private health companies.
71 coalition MPs who voted for NHS sell-off linked to health firms
Companies with links to Tories ‘have won £1.5bn worth of NHS contracts’
Funding has been cut from the NHS.
11 ways Cameron's cuts are hurting the NHS - #FullyFundOurNHS
Funding has been cut from related social services which impact on the NHS
Cuts to public health funding will cost the NHS dear | Juliette Jowit
The NHS has been pushed into huge deficits due to underfunding.
These images show how quickly Jeremy Hunt has bankrupted healthcare in England

Standards are slipping - the end result being that people will eventually turn round and say "lets try something else".
The Doctors strike has mass public support. Smashing the Doctors is a key step on the way to full privatisation.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the NHS that proper funding wont fix.

Carry on.

Carry on.

Ask for the link to the thread of the post.

While Tommy has been informative, he has also been pretty biased.

If by "biased" you mean "He lives in the UK and he's had experience with the NHS," you're correct.

I am very biased in favour of the health service.I heard enough stories as a child to make me appreciate what we have.
Good health should not be the preserve of the wealthy.

Standards are slipping - the end result being that people will eventually turn round and say "lets try something else".
The Doctors strike has mass public support. Smashing the Doctors is a key step on the way to full privatisation.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the NHS that proper funding wont fix

Funding solves a lot of issues....right ?

I mean we spend 3x what everyone else does and ..........

I am very biased in favour of the health service.I heard enough stories as a child to make me appreciate what we have.

A better chance at good health will always be greater with the wealthy.

That is what money does.

However, a basic level of services should be available to everyone.

The NHS goes well beyond that and so does not get my support.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the NHS that proper funding wont fix

Funding solves a lot of issues....right ?

I mean we spend 3x what everyone else does and ..........
I dont know what the set up is in the States but from a distance it sounds a bit fragmented. The cost of drugs,for an example, sounds like a lot of different providers being exploited by the drug companies. A national service should give savings through scale. Americans pay a lot more for drugs than we do.
At a basic funding level the cost cutting actually leads to overspending.
Staff are cut back and then they find that a shift is busier than was planned. The hospital then has to bring in agency staff at a huge price in order to provide a service.

That is what money does.

You can choose to go private in the UK and many people have insurance.Private healthcare in the UK is totally dependent on the NHS. Like a monkey on its back.

That is what money does.

You can choose to go private in the UK and many people have insurance.Private healthcare in the UK is totally dependent on the NHS. Like a monkey on its back.

How can private insurance be totally dependent upon the NHS ?

Oh yes, the minister responsible for running the NHS has written book calling for it to be abolished.
Jeremy Hunt co-authored book calling for NHS to be replaced with private insurance

If the people of England were so against it...why did they vote these clowns into office know what they would do.
This wasnt in the manifesto. Many things werent.

They had no idea ?

I find that hard to believe.

Forum List

Back