Newt Comments about WOT

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Will America and Israel Survive?
By Newt Gingrich
January 29, 2007

Edward Teller, the father of the American hydrogen bomb, once asked me something that I have never forgotten: "How hard would you work for your family to survive after a nuclear war?" I said I would do anything. And he said, "Wouldn't it be better to do it before there's a nuclear war?"

for full article:
http://www.humanevents.com/winningthefuture.php?id=19181

Wow, that was an amazing essay. Especially the last part:

In 1958, long before Dr. Teller and I had our conversation about survival in the nuclear age, I learned my first, pivotal lesson about the fragility of American civilization.

My father was a career solider and an infantryman, and we were stationed in Orleans, France. We went to the battlefield of Verdun and saw the cost of the First World War in human terms -- on the largest battlefield in the Western front. We stayed with a friend of my father who had been drafted in 1941, sent to the Philippines, survived the Bataan death march and spent three and a half years in a Japanese prison camp. Over the course of one weekend, touring the battlefield and the museums that described a nine-month battle in which 600,000 people were killed, I learned a powerful lesson. I learned that civilizations can die. I realized that seemingly invulnerable societies could collapse at the hands of their political leaders.

That weekend at Verdun convinced me that the quality of what we do in our public life is central to our ability to sustain a free and prosperous society. I have spent my life living with that lesson in mind and remembering this: The free and democratic civilization that those men who died on the battlefield of Verdun fought to preserve is the greatest gift I can give -- that we all can give - to the next generation of Americans

Civilizations can die. Cities can be destroyed. Katrina should have taught us that. In one day New Orleans was virtually destroyed and now we are rebuilding.

People are slow to remember these lessons.

Although Newt says he thinks he can do more by going around the country encouraging dialogue on important issues facing this country than running for president, I think by September of this year the Republicans will be ready to consider Newt as presidential material. Heaven knows, his "baggage" is less than that carried by the Clintons and it doesn't seem to damage them one bit.

Although Newt says he thinks he can do more by going around the country encouraging dialogue on important issues facing this country than running for president, I think by September of this year the Republicans will be ready to consider Newt as presidential material. Heaven knows, his "baggage" is less than that carried by the Clintons and it doesn't seem to damage them one bit.

However his problematical relationship with his mistress while his wife was dying will be brought up as it relates to the attacks made on Clinton. Even though the impeachment was about perjoring himself there were many arguments made about the moral actions of the man in the office and those, rightly or wrongly, will rub off on Newt and the left will push hard to point out the "hypocrisy" of such.

We'll see how it all washes out. Newt's kept his nose clean since his marital problems, and he's been a tireless worker for the Republican Party. I, myself, like his ideas. He makes good sense--at least to me.

Forum List

Back