This sums it up-

LBJ reversed his position on race 180%, likely because he was a consumate politico who realized he was going to need the black vote, rather than any sense of brotherhood or equality. In Congress, LBJ repeatedly voted against legislation to protect black Americans from lynching. As a Senate leader he did his best to cripple the C.R.A. of 1957 managing to reduce it to an act of mere symbolism by taking out the enforcement provisions before sending it to Eisenhower. Dem colleague Strom Thurmond staged the longest filibuster in history up to that point, speaking for 24 hours in a failed attempt to block the bill..

Actually LBJ never reversed his opinion on race- once he was in the position to do something about Civil Rights he did.

LBJ not only voted for the 1957 Civil Rights Act- and helped push it through- he also voted for the 1960 Civil Rights Act- and then of course he did what Republicans hate him the most for.

He was responsible for the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The single most important Civil Rights legislature of the 20th century.
Proposed by JFK, and pushed through Congress by LBJ- despite opposition from the Dixiecrats.

And then of course LBJ followed that up with the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Republicans today cannot forgive him for that.
"I'll have them ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years" LBJ, Democrat civil rights hero

Yep, but they will say that’s unproven, even with all the verifiable evidence he more than likely did.
This sums it up-

LBJ reversed his position on race 180%, likely because he was a consumate politico who realized he was going to need the black vote, rather than any sense of brotherhood or equality. In Congress, LBJ repeatedly voted against legislation to protect black Americans from lynching. As a Senate leader he did his best to cripple the C.R.A. of 1957 managing to reduce it to an act of mere symbolism by taking out the enforcement provisions before sending it to Eisenhower. Dem colleague Strom Thurmond staged the longest filibuster in history up to that point, speaking for 24 hours in a failed attempt to block the bill..

Actually LBJ never reversed his opinion on race- once he was in the position to do something about Civil Rights he did.

LBJ not only voted for the 1957 Civil Rights Act- and helped push it through- he also voted for the 1960 Civil Rights Act- and then of course he did what Republicans hate him the most for.

He was responsible for the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The single most important Civil Rights legislature of the 20th century.
Proposed by JFK, and pushed through Congress by LBJ- despite opposition from the Dixiecrats.

And then of course LBJ followed that up with the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Republicans today cannot forgive him for that.
"I'll have them ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years" LBJ, Democrat civil rights hero

LBJ was both a racist- and also the President who did more for Civil Rights than any President since Lincoln.
By holding up in the Senate for 7 year an identical Civil Rights Bill put forth by Ike, a bill LBJ called the, "Ngger Bill"

Actually he didn't bother with trying to pass a bill that wasn't going to pass; he knew what the vote would be on nay given bill coming out of committee would be at any time. He wasn't stupid enough to waste favors and cred by falling on his sword over futile acts.

And, he never said 'The ****** Bill' or anything of the sort elsewhere, either. 'Colored' was the term for his education and upbringing. That myth is also just another fake history claim like the one in the OP.

He said ****** more frequently that a Sunday preachers says Jesus. Oh wait, you're saying he said "colored" because he was a Republican? Right because the parties switched.

Well, no, he didn't say that, much less 'frequently'. That's why you can never find any evidence he ever did.
Seriously? It was a well known fact.

Seriously, your 'proof' is a slim assortment of unsubstantiated rumor and innuendo, for a very small number of unreliable sources, for a career stretching over many decades and exposure to hundreds of thousands of people around. I already knew that. Caro's book is also not a source; I have all three and most of the attempts at smearing Johnson fail in his bio as well, since he can only cite 'un-named sources' repeatedly in the paragraphs about all that rubbish. And, for a man who made a lot of enemies, that is slim pickings indeed as a supportable claim.

In Senate cloakrooms and staff meetings, Johnson was practically a connoisseur of the word. According to Johnson biographer Robert Caro, Johnson would calibrate his pronunciations by region, using “nigra” with some southern legislators and “negra” with others. Discussing civil rights legislation with men like Mississippi Democrat James Eastland, who committed most of his life to defending white supremacy, he’d simply call it “the ****** bill.”

lol try reading the Caro book itself instead of what somebody said Caro said. Caro never comes out and says Johnson ever said any of that, he just doges around it and cites in-named sources' for the vast majority of it, nor is Eastland's statement evidence, since '******' is a term he uses, and he isn't directly quoting Johnson exactly.

Then in 1957, Johnson would help get the “****** bill” passed, known to most as the Civil Rights Act of 1957. With the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act, the segregationists would go to their graves knowing the cause they’d given their lives to had been betrayed, Frank Underwood style, by a man they believed to be one of their own. When Caro asked segregationist Georgia Democrat Herman Talmadge how he felt when Johnson, signing the Civil Rights Act, saidwe shall overcome,” Talmadge said “sick.”

lol this is just silly. Repeating the same innuendo over and over is just lame. You don't find it at all suspicious your 'source' has to keep repeating the same phrase, over the same alleged incident, over and over and over again to try and make it look like 'he said it all the time'??? lol lol lol a 3rd grader can see through that gimmick.

And back to my original post on the matter, you obviously failed, once again, to research what those Black 'colleges' were all about. I'll tell you the pertinent fact you do not hear in your studies. Those so-called colleges were for training Blacks how to better perform in their domestic services jobs, and get certification to get those jobs.

lol yeah sure. Maybe you should check out the college LBJ, and a lot of poor whites, attended, and then get back to us; not everybody in the Depression years could afford UT-Austin. Are you really going to snivel about black colleges educating black people now? Obviously you're not informed at all about any of this stuff.

LBJ and Grassroots Federalism

Prairie View A&M and Paul Quinn in Waco, to name two, and as I said before you might want to actually read sources instead of merely regurgitating rubbish from hack tabloids like MSNBC, and you will find out a lot more about this, from Caro himself. And, while you do this, you can keep in mind the black vote was negligible, and he and the others he backed and supported had nothing to gain and a lot to lose in their aid to these colleges, unlike your fake heroes the Kennedys.

Last edited:
This sums it up-

Martin Luther King Jr. - on the Republican Party- after the GOP nominated one of the only non-Southern Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism...On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represents a philosophy that is morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulates a philosophy which gives aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I have no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that does not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.”

Goldwater's almost feverish devotion to libertarian principles, even over moral ones, ultimately contributed to his defeat. He voiced regret for not supporting civil rights legislation at the federal level later in life.

He did, when his power and future was at stake. He wanted to be president.

“These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don't move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there'll be no way of stopping them, we'll lose the filibuster and there'll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It'll be Reconstruction all over again. [Said to Senator Richard Russell, Jr. (D-GA) regarding the Civil Rights Act of 1957]”

This sums it up-

LBJ did when he had the power to do something

And then the GOP nominated for President the man who ran for President as the guy who voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act

Yep- LBJ was a racist- but he was also a Civil Rights hero

Lyndon Johnson was a civil rights hero. But also a racist.
But we shouldn’t forget Johnson’s racism, either. After Johnson’s death, Parker would reflect on the Johnson who championed the landmark civil rights bills that formally ended American apartheid, and write, “I loved that Lyndon Johnson.” Then he remembered the president who called him a ******, and he wrote, “I hated that Lyndon Johnson.”

This sums it up-

Martin Luther King Jr. - on the Republican Party- after the GOP nominated one of the only non-Southern Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism...On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represents a philosophy that is morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulates a philosophy which gives aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I have no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that does not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.”

In a conversation with Bill Moyers, a White House special assistant, Johnson expresses a shocking disdain for Martin Luther King Jr.'s actions: "I really think we ought to be firm on him myself," he says. "I just think it's outrageous what's on TV. I've been watching it here and it looks like that man is in charge of the country."

What LBJ Really Said About Selma

Possibly Moyers edited some of the more, er, colorful, words used by LBJ

This sums it up-

In a conversation with Bill Moyers, a White House special assistant, Johnson expresses a shocking disdain for Martin Luther King Jr.'s actions: "I really think we ought to be firm on him myself," he says. "I just think it's outrageous what's on TV. I've been watching it here and it looks like that man is in charge of the country."

What LBJ Really Said About Selma

Possibly Moyers edited some of the more, er, colorful, words used by LBJ

Why You Should Care That 'Selma' Gets LBJ Wrong

Hang on a second, is it clear whether LBJ is talking about King or Wallace?

"The latest development is that Wallace called Buford Ellington a few minutes ago and said that he ought to call out 350 of the National Guard
to deal with the situation tomorrow because they can get along better than the local authorities who are hostile toward the negroes."

Are we entirely sure he's not referring to Wallace acting like HE is "in charge of the entire country"?

I saw that piece of crap, "Selma".
I was ALIVE and SENTIENT when the actual events occurred, and past The Age of Reason.
We were doing book reports and debates on the Civil Rights movement in school.
Selma is 100% wrong on LBJ altogether.
He was a racist the way my own mother was a hippie hater.
She constantly harped about kids wearing long hair but she not only took in two different kids that were thrown out by their parents for refusing to cut their hair, she even defended them.

While their own parents were BEATING THEM, my mother, despite all her whining about long hair, was fixing them lasagna and treating them like they were her own sons.

And I'd love to see you try to paint Bill Moyers as some guy who protects racists, that would be truly funny, and I bet I KNOW MOYERS well enough on a PERSONAL LEVEL in real life that I MIGHT even be able to get him to respond personally.
So go ahead, do your best and I'll be sure to pass along that weak sauce to Bill and see if he has anything to say.

The rest of you kiddos, make some popcorn, because if he does respond, it's gonna be lotsa fun! :D

Last edited:
He was not a racist and had supported previous Civil Rights legislation. He didn’t support the ‘64 bill, because of his issues with how title II and and VII were written and their Constitutionality. He was concerned over exactly what is now before the Supreme Court today. We shall see if he was right, or not.
Goldwater's almost feverish devotion to libertarian principles, even over moral ones, ultimately contributed to his defeat. He voiced regret for not supporting civil rights legislation at the federal level later in life.

Last edited:
Honey, I know all about Tx past racist history. My family, fought it.

Sure you did...by attempting to paint Democrats and liberals as "the REAL racists", right? :afro::blahblah::badgrin::badgrin::blahblah::afro:
Actually, the history is there. And much changed within my lifetime there, fortunately. At one time we Republicans were the minority there. And only recently has its governors been Republicans. Most major cities have been and continue to be Democrats and Democratically run since forever, where racism still remains. Some of the suburbs and more rural areas are where you find the Republican majorities.

JFK Files: Iconic Democrat President Was a KKK Member (Report)

kgDSVVb.jpg

There were plenty of interesting factoids to come out of the recent JFK files release: The CIA considered mob hits on Fidel Castro, someone called the FBI threatening to kill Lee Harvey Oswald a day before Oswald’s murder, and the U.S. examined sabotaging airplane parts heading to Cuba.

There was even proof that the CIA used journalists and media figures to spread propaganda.

Additionally, we got confirmation that President Kennedy’s successor following his assassination, Lyndon B. Johnson, was possibly a member of the KKK.

One of the newly released files contains a memo about a journalist named Ned Touchstone, who was an editor of The Councilor, the newsletter of the racist White Citizens’ Councils.

Touchstone claimed the Ku Klux Klan had “documented proof” that LBJ had been a member of the Klan in the early days of his political career in Texas...

...That Johnson would have been a member of the Klan wouldn’t be much of a surprise, frankly. As a member of the Senate, he fought vigorously against civil rights legislation favored by President Eisenhower and Republicans. Early in his political career, Johnson was guilty of all kinds of statements in support of Jim Crow laws in the South.

This isn’t verified proof that Johnson was indeed part of the Klan. But given the political circumstances from which he rose (deep South, Democrat-dominated Texas), it’s not that far-fetched. In fact, more likely than not, Johnson mixed around with a racist crowd to get his political start.

Consider that in the context of this anti-Barry Goldwater 1964 presidential campaign commercial…

Bill Clinton's mentor was J. William Fulbright:

J. William Fulbright - Wikipedia

James William Fulbright (April 9, 1905 – February 9, 1995) was a United States Senator representing Arkansas from January 1945 until his resignation in December 1974. Fulbright is the longest serving chairman in the history of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. A Southern Democrat and a staunch multilateralist who supported the creation of the United Nations, he was also a segregationist who signed the Southern Manifesto. Fulbright opposed McCarthyism and the House Un-American Activities Committee and later became known for his opposition to American involvement in the Vietnam War...

But Trump is the racist. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Since LBJ signed two major civil rights bills that conservatives HATED,

I guess he changed his ways somewhere along the line.

(oh, PS, post the documented proof)

what a lot of people have never understood is that kennedy got the ball rolling for the civil rights bill to be signed.Johnson got all the credit but it never would have happened had kennedy not been president before him. LBJ signed it not to do a great thing,but to leave his mark on history as being remembered as doing a great deed that would make people remember him.

Its not the least bit surprised in the least that he was a KKK member,you look at his actions in congress and he was a racist big time. The he becomes president and because of his signing of the bill,people not in the know,with the mistaken believe remember him as doing a great thing for the minortys.

Not surprising. He was an old corrupt Texas cracker. And i believe he played a role in covering up the conspiracy to kill JFK.

oh yeah for sure,he knew it was going to happen beyond a doubt.Had it not happened in texas his homestate where he had major power there,i dont think the coverup would have worked near as well had it been somewhere else. He for sure knew it was going to happen. Senator Ralph Yarbrough who rode in the car with Johnsaid said Johnson was acting very strange one the limo got into deal plaza. He said that he was ducking down and talking into a CB radio for along time and that about 10 seconds BEFORE the gunshots rang out,he DUCKED. there is also a photo out there that shows him ducking as well.

He was not a racist and had supported previous Civil Rights legislation. He didn’t support the ‘64 bill, because of his issues with how title II and and VII were written and their Constitutionality. He was concerned over exactly what is now before the Supreme Court today. We shall see if he was right, or not.

As Martin Luther King Jr. didn't believe that Goldwater was a racist- but he did believe that Goldwater's philosophy aided the racists

JFK Files: Iconic Democrat President Was a KKK Member (Report)

kgDSVVb.jpg

There were plenty of interesting factoids to come out of the recent JFK files release: The CIA considered mob hits on Fidel Castro, someone called the FBI threatening to kill Lee Harvey Oswald a day before Oswald’s murder, and the U.S. examined sabotaging airplane parts heading to Cuba.

There was even proof that the CIA used journalists and media figures to spread propaganda.

Additionally, we got confirmation that President Kennedy’s successor following his assassination, Lyndon B. Johnson, was possibly a member of the KKK.

One of the newly released files contains a memo about a journalist named Ned Touchstone, who was an editor of The Councilor, the newsletter of the racist White Citizens’ Councils.

Touchstone claimed the Ku Klux Klan had “documented proof” that LBJ had been a member of the Klan in the early days of his political career in Texas...

...That Johnson would have been a member of the Klan wouldn’t be much of a surprise, frankly. As a member of the Senate, he fought vigorously against civil rights legislation favored by President Eisenhower and Republicans. Early in his political career, Johnson was guilty of all kinds of statements in support of Jim Crow laws in the South.

This isn’t verified proof that Johnson was indeed part of the Klan. But given the political circumstances from which he rose (deep South, Democrat-dominated Texas), it’s not that far-fetched. In fact, more likely than not, Johnson mixed around with a racist crowd to get his political start.

Consider that in the context of this anti-Barry Goldwater 1964 presidential campaign commercial…

Bill Clinton's mentor was J. William Fulbright:

J. William Fulbright - Wikipedia

James William Fulbright (April 9, 1905 – February 9, 1995) was a United States Senator representing Arkansas from January 1945 until his resignation in December 1974. Fulbright is the longest serving chairman in the history of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. A Southern Democrat and a staunch multilateralist who supported the creation of the United Nations, he was also a segregationist who signed the Southern Manifesto. Fulbright opposed McCarthyism and the House Un-American Activities Committee and later became known for his opposition to American involvement in the Vietnam War...

But Trump is the racist. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Since LBJ signed two major civil rights bills that conservatives HATED,

I guess he changed his ways somewhere along the line.

(oh, PS, post the documented proof)

what a lot of people have never understood is that kennedy got the ball rolling for the civil rights bill to be signed.Johnson got all the credit but it never would have happened had kennedy not been president before him. LBJ signed it not to do a great thing,but to leave his mark on history as being remembered as doing a great deed that would make people remember him.

Its not the least bit surprised in the least that he was a KKK member,you look at his actions in congress and he was a racist big time. The he becomes president and because of his signing of the bill,people not in the know,with the mistaken believe
remember him as doing a great thing for the minortys.

Two things;
a) There is no evidence that Johnson was a member of the KKK- what was shown was second hand hearsay that was uncorroborated from 60 years ago.
b) Kennedy proposed the bill- absolutely certain- but Johnson was the force behind getting it passed. Not only did Johnson bring it up in his first address to the nation- he used his considerable Senate experience to push it through.

Who gives Johnson credit for the bill? The African American community.

History will tell the story of the Constitutional issues he had. I can see it from both sides, but in the end the Constitutional rule of law should win out. Maybe the issues should have been further researched to get those 2 articles right, if they were indeed done improperly. Time will tell.

As Martin Luther King Jr. didn't believe that Goldwater was a racist- but he did believe that Goldwater's philosophy aided the racists

History will tell the story of the Constitutional issues he had. I can see it from both sides, but in the end the Constitutional rule of law should win out. Maybe the issues should have been further researched to get those 2 articles right, if they were indeed done improperly. Time will tell.

Its been 50 years- how much longer in history will we have to wait to see?

Title II
Outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations engaged in interstate commerce; exempted private clubs without defining the term "private".

The Supreme Court has already ruled on Title II- that it was constitutional.

Then he was wrong in article II. The overall point here is he wasn’t racist, as was suggested. He had real concerns, which one, as you say, has been unfounded, to be right about its constitutionality. The other, we will know soon enough, as it is before the SC now.

Its been 50 years- how much longer in history will we have to wait to see?

Title II
Outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations engaged in interstate commerce; exempted private clubs without defining the term "private".

The Supreme Court has already ruled on Title II- that it was constitutional.

Honey, I know all about Tx past racist history. My family, fought it.

Sure you did...by attempting to paint Democrats and liberals as "the REAL racists", right? :afro::blahblah::badgrin::badgrin::blahblah::afro:
Actually, the history is there. And much changed within my lifetime there, fortunately. At one time we Republicans were the minority there. And only recently has its governors been Republicans. Most major cities have been and continue to be Democrats and Democratically run since forever, where racism still remains. Some of the suburbs and more rural areas are where you find the Republican majorities.

Once again ignoring a large chunk of historical fact.

"At one time we Republicans were the minority there."
Because at one time Republicans were more liberal than the Democrats.

"And only recently has its governors been Republicans."
Yes, thanks to the Nixon Southern Strategy turning all the old cracker segregationist Southern Democrats INTO Republicans.

"Most major cities have been and continue to be Democrats and Democratically run since forever, where racism still remains."

Yes, because the Democratic Party finally disowned its Southern cracker wing in the South, and embraced Civil Rights. The racism continues because it is perpetrated BY Southern Republicans ON the people of color (black AND brown alike) who LIVE IN those cities.

"Some of the suburbs and more rural areas are where you find the Republican majorities."
NO, not entirely accurate either. For instance, in Dallas, the color line is not only historic, but clearly defined. Any neighborhood South of I-30 is generally considered a majority "colored" neighborhood, and in the old days black families found it pretty much impossible to buy in any neighborhood in North Dallas Metro.
There were even COVENANTS established where white home buyers in North Dallas had to agree to NEVER SELL to a black family as a condition of purchase.
I can show you actual evidence of this, as it is readily available from newspaper and magazine archives.
Even to this day, although some black families buy in North Dallas, it is still South Dallas where the majority of them buy their homes.

Again, you forget that I lived in Texas for over ten years, and before that, other members of my family had lived there too.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back