New York Passes Beard Law

I've worn a beard for the past 10 years but one of my early jobs required that I wear a respirator and I was told that I could not have a beard because it made the respirator less effective.

So my answer to that is any employer should be able to enforce any dress code he sees fit including grooming as long as it is enforced universally within the company. And sorry but it seems to be a no brainer not to allow people to wear loose flowing clothing around machinery.

I saw a guy's shirt sleeve get pulled into a planer once. The guy lost 3 fingers all because his shirt cuffs were unbuttoned

http://www.safetynewsalert.com/loose-clothing-claims-2-workers-lives-in-2-incidents/

And who pays when the employee is careless? The business owner.

I've worn a beard for the past 10 years but one of my early jobs required that I wear a respirator and I was told that I could not have a beard because it made the respirator less effective.

So my answer to that is any employer should be able to enforce any dress code he sees fit including grooming as long as it is enforced universally within the company. And sorry but it seems to be a no brainer not to allow people to wear loose flowing clothing around machinery.

I saw a guy's shirt sleeve get pulled into a planer once. The guy lost 3 fingers all because his shirt cuffs were unbuttoned

Loose clothing claims 2 workers? lives in 2 incidents

And who pays when the employee is careless? The business owner.

yup

The law passed by a vote of 112 to 1. I wonder who the sole holdout was?

Hijabs, turbans, kippahs and beards are now kosher in the workplaces, according to a New York state Assembly bill.

The New York state Assembly has passed legislation sponsored by Assemblyman David Weprin, D-Fresh Meadows, that prohibits workplace discrimination against attire worn for religious purposes.

Weprin said the bill was a response to a series of cases throughout the state during which employees were discriminated against at work due to their religious garb or facial grooming.

"People should not have to make a choice between working to provide for their families or observing their religion," the assemblyman said.

"It is unacceptable that workers have faced discrimination for wearing their religious attire or facial hair because it is an infringement on their civil liberties."

He said the bill would allow for persons to wear hijabs, turbans, kippahs and beards at their workplaces without fear of persecution.

The legislation passed by a vote of 112-1 on Jan. 14.

"We enthusiastically support the religious garb bill calling for equal employment opportunities for all New Yorkers, regardless of religious attire and facial grooming," said Rabbi Israel Rubin, who is the regional director of Chabad of the Capital District.

New York Passes "Beard Law"

Let an employee come in dressed looking like Jesus and see how fast they'll repeal this law. :lol:

I have worked with Hasidim Jews on Wall Street and their manner of dress was out of the ordinary but did not pose a hazard nor did it distract other workers from doing their job. This law shoves religion down the average person's throat.

I have worked with Hasidim Jews on Wall Street and their manner of dress was out of the ordinary but did not pose a hazard nor did it distract other workers from doing their job. This law shoves religion down the average person's throat.

The way people dress does not pose a hazard in many occupations but it does in many others.

I for one don't think a guy with a beard down to his chest looks professional and while I wouldn't ban a beard for any employee (if I had any) I would require any facial hair to be kept short and neat

But there is no way I would allow anyone to wear loose flowing clothing around machinery I've been an eyewitness to how that can go wrong.

Last edited:

The way people dress does not pose a hazard in many occupations but it dies in many others.

I for one don't think a guy with a beard down to his chest looks professional and while I wouldn't ban a beard for any employee (if I had any) I would require any facial hair to be kept short and neat

But there is no way I would allow anyone to wear loose flowing clothing around machinery I've been an eyewitness to how that can go wrong.

I disagree, in construction wearing baggie pants will cause you to fall and get hurt. There are do's and don't's for what you can and cannot wear for a reason. I've seen welders get burned because the pants they had on had holes on them and the fabric was stringy. Wear certain kinds of shoes are also hazardous.

burkabild.jpg

I see no problem.

I don't know about you, but I want to see the person I am interacting with.

A headscarf is one thing, a full hijab is something else.

http://www.wvh4h.org/Documents/Construction/Construction Dress Code.pdf

Construction Dress Code

The below dress code will be enforced at all job sites. This code has been
compiled based on Habitat for Humanity International, and federal OSHA
standards.

1. Shoes – Closed toe shoes only. Work boots are preferred but thick soled tennis
shoes will be allowed. Please make sure that tennis shoes have a solid grip on
the sole.

2. Pants/Shorts – Pants and/or shorts must not be tight fitting. Shorts are allowed
but must be no higher than mid-thigh. No mini shorts allowed. Undergarments
must be covered.

3. No skirts and dresses allowed.

4. Shirts – Either long sleeve, short sleeve shirts and t-shirts are allowed. No
sleeveless shirts inclusive of tank tops, tube tops, spaghetti string tops, sport
bras and halter tops are allowed. No suggestive or profanity sayings are allowed
on any shirt. Fishnet and sheer shirts of any kind are not allowed. Skin must not
be exposed in the torso area.

5. Any form of clothing that is tight fitting and/or suggestive is not allowed.

6. Piercings – No visible piercings of any kind are allowed except non-dangle
earrings.

7. Jewelry – Dangling and bulky jewelry of any type is not allowed.

There's an arguement to be made against the 'beekeeper suits.' Much of what people assume is mandated by Islam in fact isn't. No where in Qur'an or a-Hadiths is full cover called for. It's instead a cultural imperative, but not religious law. So you could argue against such dress if the reason for it is supposedly religious. Since the religion doesn't call for it, and it's instead a cultural thing, maybe that'd be how to prevent having to tolerate it in the workplace if discrimination is claimed. I mean you can only accomodate cultural things so much. And since religious discrimination is protected against, but cultural may not be...

The reason for the cover is an extension of the call for married Jewish women to cover their heads indicating they're married. Since Islam bases itself almost entirely on Judaism, I guess they took that and ran with it to the extreme. But as in other areas, what a religion actually says, and what cultures who adopt the religion say are often quite different things. As with not depicting an image of Mohammed being assumed to be against Islam when in fact it isn't. Or Jews having to wear a head cover outdoors when in fact it's only Talmud (written commentary of Tanach) that says that. And for a really silly reason: it's to hide us from G-d's sight (part of the whole fearing G-d thing.) Apparently, G-d has a blind spot if we cover a tiny portion of our heads. :) But it's not a commandment mentioned anywhere in Tanach. It's instead a cultural thing that came about from individual interpretation of other things.

With Islam, part of the cover thing has to do with a story that an Arab woman was so beautiful that even the angels gawked at her. Proving a distraction then, concealing her beauty was necessary thus the commandment. But the full body cover isn't what's mandated as much as simply paying some attention to modesty.

http://www.wvh4h.org/Documents/Construction/Construction Dress Code.pdf

Construction Dress Code

The below dress code will be enforced at all job sites. This code has been
compiled based on Habitat for Humanity International, and federal OSHA
standards.

1. Shoes – Closed toe shoes only. Work boots are preferred but thick soled tennis
shoes will be allowed. Please make sure that tennis shoes have a solid grip on
the sole.

2. Pants/Shorts – Pants and/or shorts must not be tight fitting. Shorts are allowed
but must be no higher than mid-thigh. No mini shorts allowed. Undergarments
must be covered.

3. No skirts and dresses allowed.

4. Shirts – Either long sleeve, short sleeve shirts and t-shirts are allowed. No
sleeveless shirts inclusive of tank tops, tube tops, spaghetti string tops, sport
bras and halter tops are allowed. No suggestive or profanity sayings are allowed
on any shirt. Fishnet and sheer shirts of any kind are not allowed. Skin must not
be exposed in the torso area.

5. Any form of clothing that is tight fitting and/or suggestive is not allowed.

6. Piercings – No visible piercings of any kind are allowed except non-dangle
earrings.

7. Jewelry – Dangling and bulky jewelry of any type is not allowed.

Just remember: Ties and rotating assemblies do not mix.

Looks like Quebec is planning to do the opposite. They want to ban religious apparel from the workplace, with the exception of small religious jewelry.

Officials in Quebec Tuesday presented their controversial bid to ban religious apparel -- including headscarves, turbans and yarmulkes -- on public sector workers, part of an overhaul to the Canadian province's "Charter of Values."

The reforms are a response to the "crisis of religious accommodation" granted to ethnic minorities that has "created tensions between Quebecers of different backgrounds and faiths," the minister in charge of the issue, Bernard Drainville, said at a press conference.

The proposal aims to create guidelines to help "unite" the province's residents along principles of "equality between men and women" and "the religious neutrality of the state."

"The best way to respect all Quebecers, the best way to respect all beliefs and all religious, is for the state to have no religion," Drainville said.

That neutrality does not apply, however, to the crucifix that has adorned the main chamber of the National Assembly since 1936, which will stay up in deference to the province's "cultural heritage," he confirmed

The proposal, to be presented to parliament this fall, has sparked a raging debate since details were first leaked to the media three weeks ago.

It bans public sector employees from donning "conspicuous religious symbols," including headscarves, yarmulkes, turbans, and large crosses while at work, but allows certain religious jewelry, as long as it is "not very visible."

The proposal also requires people receiving state services "to make their faces completely visible," a measure aimed at banning the burqa, a traditional head-to-toe garment worn by some Muslim women.

Quebec presents bid to ban religious garb | Fox News

good for Quebec!
I believe the Quebec law is the first of it's kind in North America. After reading the article, it seems a pretty reasonable law.

I'm cool with it.

But it beats the fuck out of me why NYC is getting rid of their horse-drawn carriages that have been a tradition for over 100 years.

Or why the state of NY has a de-facto ban on hydraulic fracturing.

Fracking destroys the environment, and all the toxic chemicals pumped into the drilling holes infect grazing cattle, water supplies...etc etc etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAEXh63k3w]Meet the Frackers - USA - YouTube[/ame]

Wait until the first sheet wearing rag head smuggles a gun or bomb in under their tent and kills a bunch of people.

Ya, ole NY libtards thinking that bending over for muslims will make them love, when the reality is they're just enabling them to carry out their dirty work.

You have something against Sikhs and Orthodox Jews?

I'm cool with it.

But it beats the fuck out of me why NYC is getting rid of their horse-drawn carriages that have been a tradition for over 100 years.

Or why the state of NY has a de-facto ban on hydraulic fracturing.

Fracking destroys the environment, and all the toxic chemicals pumped into the drilling holes infect grazing cattle, water supplies...etc etc etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAEXh63k3w]Meet the Frackers - USA - YouTube[/ame]

That's insane. Get edicated, already. Geez.

Levity time.

A young Amish man is driving his horse and buggy and is pulled over by the police for not having proper reflectors. As the officer is writing the ticket he notices that the girl by the Amish man's side looks really young so he asks him, “What are you doing with such a young girl? Hell, she doesn't even have any hair down there?” The Amish man smiles, strokes his beard and says, “She will tonight.”

Forum List

Back