New Republic Discovers Flaws of Presidential Polling

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

June 25, 2019 ~~ By P.J. Gladnick
The New Republic, which in the past few years has faded from obscurity to invisibility, has discovered what is all too obvious to even the casual observer of politics. Namely that some polls are, get this, inaccurate. The one who went on this voyage of discovery to tell us what we already knew is staff writer of long political experience, Walter Shapiro. And since Shapiro has worked as a standup comedian (Laugh Factory?) he does provide us with some chuckles at the expense of the news media which has demonstrated an absurd dependence on polling despite the fact polls have become even more inaccurate than they were in the past.
Shapiro revealed on June 21 that despite the media often worshiping polls as their sacred talisman that "The Polling Industry Is in Crisis."
To explain the wild fluctuations in their numbers, pollsters and their eager enablers in the press have created an artificial narrative of candidates bouncing up and down as if the campaign were conducted on pogo sticks.
One of my favorite of these types of political horse race announcers is CNN's Chris Cillizza who breathlessly announces the results of the races in his distinctive sing-song voice long before they have even finished based on the wildly inaccurate polls which he cites with absolute awe as if they were carved on holy tablets

~~~~~~
Most conservatives don't participate in polls.
I believe the polls are an accurate representation of the people the pollsters want to listen to. I’m not so cynical as to believe the pollsters just pull results out of thin air. They do actually put in the time and effort of deciding what they want to hear and identifying respondents that will give it to them. It's their choice in their polling base that's the problem.

Forum List

Back