New project.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
The Knock-around gun is all but done.

I did buy some foam panels today at Hobby Lobby to make a case for it, but that will be fodder for another thread.

While browsing the gun cases of the pawn shops and gun stores of Springfield today, I found my next project gun.

Remember the old Marlin Goose Gun...bolt action with a 36" barrel?

Well, I found it's younger brother.

A Marlin 55g bolt action, magazine fed 12 gauge with a 28" barrel, fixed full choke.

It's in fair shape, not too shabby for a 50 year old gun...

...well ok, I'm only sure it is at least 44 years old, since it wasn't required to have a serial number, and I haven't had the barrel off yet.

So, first, we'll make sure it shoots, then it'll get a face lift.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Anyone have or used to have one of these, or a true Goose Gun or Super Goose?

It looks nearly identical to this one:

70606_02_marlin_model_55_12_gauge_bolt__640.jpg

70606_01_marlin_model_55_12_gauge_bolt__640.jpg

I remember bolt action Mossbergs but Savage and Marlin also I guess . I had a pump , Mossberg 12 at 12 years of age out of Sears or Monkey Wards . Yeah , banana clip , also notice that the bayonet lug is missing .

Got it all cleaned up last night.

It has not been well cared for.

I haven't shot it yet, but I may run out to the range in a few minutes and give it a shot or two.

The barrel needs refinished, and the stock does too.

I am considering Duracoating the barrel and metal parts, polishing the bolt to a high shine and re-staining the stock with Birchwood Caseys Tru-oil Kit.

[youtube]co70MNG6JiU[/youtube]

[youtube]YouZufINkB8[/youtube]

[youtube]PaCBHb0wDls[/youtube]

Duracoat now has a one can finish/hardener premix that I am going to try...just need to find and prep some other projects that need a tough coating, as the can does three complete firearms and is only viable for 40 hours after the first use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/91...m-finish-olive-drab-12oz?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Last edited:
Picked up the Duracoat and Tru-oil kits at MidwayUSA.

I ended up getting the Duracoat Shake-n-Spray kit in matte black instead of the can-in-can aerosol spray.

The kit comes with the stripper/degreaser and applicator/scrubber for the same price as just the one can of aerosol.

Shake-n-Spray kit: Lauer DuraCoat Shake N' Spray Firearm Finishing Kit 4oz

Aerosol: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...t-aerosol-firearm-finish?cm_vc=ProductFinding

And I purchased the Tru-oil Stock Refinishing Kit. There is a Deluxe gun restoration kit from Birchwood Casey which features Perma Blue cold blueing, I have not heard positive remarks regarding the results of cold blueing.

Stock refinish only: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit

Complete refinishing kit: Birchwood Casey Deluxe Perma Blue Tru-Oil Complete Finishing Kit

Now I need some range time to make sure the old gun shoots, then start the refinish. :thup:

e2826afb-effa-4710-ae36-e55f56aec79a_zpsae97148b.jpg

Duracoat kit was $35 and the Tru-Oil kit was $14, plus tax of course.

Last edited:
Still working on this, got a little done today while I was waiting for some solvent to do it's thing on another project.

Stripped off the blueing and got most of the polishing done on the bolt.

Couldn't find my Flitz Polish, may have used it up and forgot, so I'll get some more in the AM.

IMAG0739_zpsffba634e.jpg

Couldn't bring myself to strip off the patina on the bolt lever, so I left it.

Still looks pretty good.

After I Flitz it, it will really shine.

I've kinda gotten side tracked on a NEF Huntsman 50 caliber black powder.

Found it at the pawn shop CAKED with fouling and some rust.

After I showed it to the pawnbroker, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

No breech plug tool, so I had too fabricate one.

Been cleaning it up for a couple days, soak, clean, soak, clean.

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some pitting...how bad? I'm not sure yet.

If I won't shoot well, I'll have it rebored to .54 with a 1:66 twist for round ball, which is what I was looking for in the first place.

Either way, I want to try to duracoat them both at the same time, if there's enough in the kit for that...so the 12 gauge is on hold for a little while.

One piece done, that Flitz is fantastic.

This bolt was mostly worn bluing yesterday.

6eaed94a-0eee-40c8-aa58-7c33992d3911_zps875c28ef.jpg

Last edited:
All the prep work is done on the stocks and the forend.

Stripped of the old finish with 120 grit sandpaper and the dremel stripping tool for those stubborn and hard to reach spots, then resanded with 180, 280, 400 grit, then OOOO steel wool, then emery cloth.

73c890d7-93cf-4420-8f86-e9d7bf766167_zps0541aa39.jpg

All ready for the next stage, which was wood filling with Tru-oil Finish to fill in the pores and grain. Coated every surface with Tru-oil Finish and let the wood soak it up until it wouldn't take anymore, then wiped off the excess.

I reworked some metal coat hangers and hung the stocks in the laundry room.

All too soon, my wife discovered gunstocks hanging in the laundry room, after which the stocks were hastily relocated to the shower curtain rod in the guest bathroom. :D

0f8ee89a-e629-4d52-8365-ec9981e903d0_zps3f1758e0.jpg

Now it has to dry for 24 hours.

I did buy some foam panels today at Hobby Lobby to make a case for it, but that will be fodder for another thread.

While browsing the gun cases of the pawn shops and gun stores of Springfield today, I found my next project gun.

A Marlin 55g bolt action, magazine fed 12 gauge with a 28" barrel, fixed full choke.

...well ok, I'm only sure it is at least 44 years old, since it wasn't required to have a serial number, and I haven't had the barrel off yet.

it has been years and years but when i was a kid my older brother in law

had one in a 10 gauge version

i remember shooting it a few times

i have a 410 bolt action that was passed down to me

from my uncle

About 3/4's of the way through this and I've learned quite a bit.

First, if you want to stain, then fill, then finish, you'll need a product in addition to the kit...[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Sealer-Filler-3-Ounce/dp/B001MQNJ40"]Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Sealer & Filler[/ame].

You're also going to need some 0000 or 000 steel wool and 800-1500 grain sandpaper for in between coats.

Since I didn't have the Sealer & Filler, I choose to forgo the stain and filled the grain with Tru-Oil Finish as per unstained direction.

So, here's the order, because the directions with the kit are not completely clear

For staining:
Strip and sand
Stain
Seal and fill (optional)
Tru-Oil Finish
Stock Sheen (optional)

For no stain:
Strip and sand
Fill with Tru-Oil Finish (optional)
Tru-Oil Finish (as topcoat)
Stock Sheen (Optional)
Even though I didn't stain, the results are still pretty fantastic.

I'm through my 3rd coat of Tru-Oil Finish, and the old stock really looks good so far.

The NEF palletwood stock really needed stain...but it still is nothing to sneeze at.

Doing 2 coats per day with 12 hours dry time between coats...going to try for at least six coats.

30677ad0-e330-43f3-9f64-fa614669f6dc_zps858bac7e.jpg

The image doesn't do it justice, because the light makes it look like it gets darker toward the butt end, but it is actually very evenly colored.

Last edited:

from my uncle

Ever use it anymore, or kept just for sentimental reasons?

from my uncle

Ever use it anymore, or kept just for sentimental reasons?

it has been years since i shot it

This project is done for now, needs to cure for a while.

The action, barrel and magazine polished up pretty well, so I'll save the Duracoat for another project.

6a95a4b4-3849-4bab-b0bc-339c75585a76_zps32466e91.jpg

Forum List

Back