New Patriots Head Coach

• Banned
This will be Mayo's first time as a head coach after coaching linebackers under Belichick. I believe Bill reccomended him as his sucessor.

• Banned
I thought Mike Vrabel would have been hired to succeed Belichick but Mayo might be a better choice.

I'm not a Patriots fan but staying in house and not recycling the same coaches over and over is IMO a good thing.
As a lifelong Patriots fan here, I was looking for a clean house and a fresh start. Mayo has the credentials to be a DC with any team.
I was hoping Kraft would look at bringing in an offensive minded coach..like an Eric Bieniemy. But going back on a promise to Mayo would
look bad.

I don’t understand the logic of ….we can get a much better coach than Bill Belichick

I wish them luck
Kraft wanted him gone. Belichick wanted out with his money and the ability to go somewhere else. So they made nice yesterday and Bill ran for the door like a scalded dog. The relationship has been souring since Bill twisted Kraft's arm into letting Brady walk. Also, the fact that the offensive minded game that the NFL has become has largely passed Bill by. I mean, did you see the Patriots offense this year???..Yikes. :auiqs.jpg:

• Banned
I don’t understand the logic of ….we can get a much better coach than Bill Belichick

I wish them luck
I believe the organization has full confidence in Mayo. He has strong support among the players.

Kraft wanted him gone. Belichick wanted out with his money and the ability to go somewhere else. So they made nice yesterday and Bill ran for the door like a scalded dog. The relationship has been souring since Bill twisted Kraft's arm into letting Brady walk. Also, the fact that the offensive minded game that the NFL has become has largely passed Bill by. I mean, did you see the Patriots offense this year???..Yikes. :auiqs.jpg:
I am a Giants fan and I would gladly take him back

I am a Giants fan and I would gladly take him back
Not gonna happen. Falcons and Cowboys (if they pull a Dallas and bow out early) are the odds on early favorites.
The Jets have also been mentioned in passing (I am secretly rooting for this). I will Laugh..My..ASS..Off if it happens.

The Patriots have hired Jerod Mayo to replace Bill Belichick as head coach. It didn't take very long for Robert Kraft to make a decision.

I think Bill lost his connection with the team. Like the NBA, players respect other players. Mayo brings more cred into the job. But, he needs very experienced assistants to help him over the rough spots. A head coach is only as good as his players and assistants. Bill found that out.

Players were saying, they worked for Bill but played for Tom. Mayo is close enough to provide that bond. Now they need a great quarterback who’ll work for peanuts like Tom did to pay for the O line to protect his ass. They were really cheap on the O line, and it showed.

Their line this past year was probably the worse in the league all year long. That can’t happen again. Losing Bills 25 million salary should help.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen. Falcons and Cowboys (if they pull a Dallas and bow out early) are the odds on early favorites.
The Jets have also been mentioned in passing (I am secretly rooting for this). I will Laugh..My..ASS..Off if it happens.
The sport moves on. The rules subtly change every year, and it is more towards the advantage of the offense.

The sport moves on. The rules subtly change every year, and it is more towards the advantage of the offense.
One rule they should have, is one foot in bounds like college for receivers on a completed pass. It may seem trite, but it would open up the game for less than great receivers and save it on injuries and make larger, slower receivers more valuable. That helps the running game. So I see a ripple effect on that one rule change.

I think Bill lost his connection with the team. Like the NBA, players respect other players. Mayo brings more cred into the job. But, he needs very experienced assistants to help him over the rough spots. A head coach is only as good as his players and assistants. Bill found that out.

Players were saying, they worked for Bill but played for Tom. Mayo is close enough to provide that bond. Now they need a great quarterback who’ll work for peanuts like Tom did to pay for the O line to protect his ass. They were really cheap on the O line, and it showed.
The NFL is an offensively geared league now. Gun it and sling it. For years, Bill has been building his rosters by trying to find "value". No household names or playmakers (save for Brady, Moss, and a few second lifers a decade ago). Trading DOWN in the draft. Signing journeymen players who he believed could fit into his "system". He didn't believe he needed an offensive juggernaut to win a Superbowl. Just a "good enough" offense and a stiff defense that would keep games close. And for years, it worked for him. 9 Superbowl appearances. 6 Superbowl trophies (Should have been 8). Making the entire NFL his bitch for over 20 years.

Then, about 6 years ago, it started turning. Pass, pass, pass. That Patriots-Rams Superbowl in 2019 was the last I remember being a defensive back and forth.
The game..passed him by.

Belichick's success and ultimate downfall highlight the reality that even the best coaches are only as good as their players.

The NFL is an offensively geared league now. Gun it and sling it. For years, Bill has been building his rosters by trying to find "value". No household names or playmakers (save for Brady, Moss, and a few second lifers a decade ago). Trading DOWN in the draft. Signing journeymen players who he believed could fit into his "system". He didn't believe he needed an offensive juggernaut to win a Superbowl. Just a "good enough" offense and a stiff defense that would keep games close. And for years, it worked for him. 9 Superbowl appearances. 6 Superbowl trophies (Should have been 8). Making the entire NFL his bitch for over 20 years.

Then, about 6 years ago, it started turning. Pass, pass, pass. That Patriots-Rams Superbowl in 2019 was the last I remember being a defensive back and forth.
The game..passed him by.
Tom was literally the O coordinator. The direct snap was used by Tom more often on running downs long before the rest of the league caught up.

Personally, I’d be hammering TomS door down to bring him back as a coach.

Belichick was head coach of the Jets for 15 minutes
Dont think that would happen

I was thinking Washington is a good fit. Dan Snyder is gone, they get a stud QB in the draft and have plenty of cap space.

Good opportunity to build a team that he wants

Forum List

Back