What could go wrong. ;)

OIP._7ANImefUMWPd7zUrlRnZQAAAA
I'm not sure. This?

1710935836770.png

1710935850665.png

1710935861868.png

1710935875205.png

1710935894144.png

How many hydrogen fires or explosions can you find? When I ask Google for images of refinery fires or explosions, it fills pages with thumbnails. You had to go back 87 years to find a meaningful shot. The last significant refinery explosion took place in 2019 in Philadelphia, about 64 miles from where the Hindenburg went down. And then there are the automobile fires grossly outnumbering the EV battery fires. You need to do a little more thinking before spewing ignorance the way you do.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. This?

View attachment 919896

View attachment 919897

View attachment 919898

View attachment 919899

View attachment 919900

How many hydrogen fires or explosions can you find? When I ask Google for images of refinery fires or explosions, it fills pages with thumbnails. You had to go back 87 years to find a meaningful shot. The last significant refinery explosion took place in 2019 in Philadelphia, about 64 miles from where the Hindenburg went down. And then there are the automobile fires grossly outnumbering the EV battery fires. You need to do a little more thinking before spewing ignorance the way you do.
Whataboutism isn't an argument.

Regardless, has the fact that hydrogen separation is still a net energy break-even, at best, been addressed?

Anyone remember my comments about sodium borate?
Remember it well
It is used in pest control solutions because of its toxicity .
I was not surprised it nearly,killed you when you washed your hair with it .

Remember it well
It is used in pest control solutions because of its toxicity .
I was not surprised it nearly,killed you when you washed your hair with it .
If you're referring to boric acid you've made two mistakes. The compound being investigated for hydrogen storage are boron hydrides, not acid and boric acid is widely used in medications applied both internally and externally on humans. Don't you realize when you are posting something you don't actually know? Doesn't it ever occur to you to check what you're about to say for actual validity? I guess not.

If you're referring to boric acid you've made two mistakes. The compound being investigated for hydrogen storage are boron hydrides, not acid and boric acid is widely used in medications applied both internally and externally on humans. Don't you realize when you are posting something you don't actually know? Doesn't it ever occur to you to check what you're about to say for actual validity? I guess not.

Hydrogen storage?
Darn it, that means you still have to separate the hydrogen from something else.

I'm not sure. This?

View attachment 919896

View attachment 919897

View attachment 919898

View attachment 919899

View attachment 919900

I'm pretty sure no one is driving around town in traffic with a refinery strapped to the back of their Hyundai.

What you're proposing is doing just that ... community the Hindenburg 2.0 right behind the passenger seat.

cng is a good alternative; too bad it's cheaper and therefore not as lucrative has gouging gasoline consumers.

A lot of oil drilling and oil companies run their own vehicles on it and have for decades. Lower maintenance costs and no new over-priced tech needed.

I'm pretty sure no one is driving around town in traffic with a refinery strapped to the back of their Hyundai.

What you're proposing is doing just that ... community the Hindenburg 2.0 right behind the passenger seat.
Neither is anyone suggesting driving down the highway with 7 million cubic feet of hydrogen in a lacquered cotton bag, fool. The storage media discussed in the OP, magnesium borohydride, is flammable. But so is gasoline. This argument failed with lithium ion batteries and it fails here as well. Next time someone's looking for a scaremonger, we'll send them your way.

Neither is anyone suggesting driving down the highway with 7 million cubic feet of hydrogen in a lacquered cotton bag, fool. The storage media discussed in the OP, magnesium borohydride, is flammable. But so is gasoline. This argument failed with lithium ion batteries and it fails here as well. Next time someone's looking for a scaremonger, we'll send them your way.
The argument against li batteries is a little different and based upon spontaneous combustion from otherwise perfect working batteries when they are being temporarily stored in places that spontaneous unexpected fires can cause lots of damage and loss of life.

Hydrogen storage?
Darn it, that means you still have to separate the hydrogen from something else.

Industrially, we get hydrogen from fossil fuels ... ha ha ha ... else you're oxidizing oxygen ... how stupid is that? ... oh wait, OP, that's why this sounds stupid ...

California pursued this during the Austrian's administration ... Our Arnold even had a hydrogen-powered Hummer built ... if California quit on hydrogen, it must be a really really bad idea ...

Industrially, we get hydrogen from fossil fuels ... ha ha ha ... else you're oxidizing oxygen ... how stupid is that? ... oh wait, OP, that's why this sounds stupid ...

California pursued this during the Austrian's administration ... Our Arnold even had a hydrogen-powered Hummer built ... if California quit on hydrogen, it must be a really really bad idea ...
We get hydrogen by electrolyzing either water or natural gas with the natural gas route requiring less energy. However, there have been several material developments in the past couple of years for new catalytic materials that dramatically improve the effciency of the water route including materials that electrolyze water driven only by sunlight. And, as I have had to say here over and over again, as time goes by, a larger and larger portion of the power in our grid will be coming from non-emitting sources. The value of hydrogen in this scenario and beyond is that it is portable and amenable to long term storage.

Last edited:
We get hydrogen by electrolyzing either water or natural gas with the natural gas route requiring less energy. However, there have been several material developments in the past couple of years for new catalytic materials that dramatically improve the effciency of the water route including materials that electrolyze water driven only by sunlight. And, as I have had to say here over and over again, as time goes by, a larger and larger portion of the power in our grid will be coming from non-emitting sources. The value of hydrogen in this scenario and beyond is that it is portable and amenable to long term storage.
You sure the process is called electrolyzing when synthesizing hydrogen from natural gas?

And they will never be able to electrolyze hydrogen from water using less energy than they get from the hydrogen after it is electrolyzed. That would defy the SLoT. There is no such thing as a free lunch or perpetual motion.

Forum List

Back