New Button!!

We still need negative buttons.

Not necessarily negative, but 'Disagree' seems sensible if we're to have an 'Agree' button.

You should have to explain your disagreement though. That way it is harder for people to abuse it and just disagree with posts because they don't like the particular poster or something petty like that.

Ya...Could become the new Neg. I for one don't miss the Neg. If ya got nothing nice to say...:)

I wasn't here long enough before they changed the software to really have a lot of experience with "negs." I don't really care about it one way or another. I've never had that option on other boards, so there is nothing for me to miss. :) I can understand how it would be abused though. If they were to bring it back, a person should have to explain their disagreement in order to use it. There are a lot of immature and mean-spirited people running around on the internet, and some are just batshit crazy too.

You should have to explain your disagreement though. That way it is harder for people to abuse it and just disagree with posts because they don't like the particular poster or something petty like that.

No, because with this setup, there's a public list of who likes and who dislikes. On the old forum the names were hidden.

No, because with this setup, there's a public list of who likes and who dislikes. On the old forum the names were hidden.

I don't see what that has to do with explaining your disagreement with a post instead of just clicking a button. Those types of things do not encourage debate or discussion. You simply click a button and be on your way,and sometimes people are petty and immature and would just click a button because they don't like you or because of a prior argument or whatever. That kind of defeats the purpose of a discussion board such as this, IMO.

The negs were great! Bring it back... was on another site that uses the same forum software, they have a neg system and I posted a link to the module.

Also, there are so many more options than Thank you, agree, Informative and funny...this site literally had a dozen or so buttons - too many, but it is interesting.

I don't see what that has to do with explaining your disagreement with a post instead of just clicking a button. Those types of things do not encourage debate or discussion. You simply click a button and be on your way,and sometimes people are petty and immature and would just click a button because they don't like you or because of a prior argument or whatever. That kind of defeats the purpose of a discussion board such as this, IMO.
Yes. And it was abused ( big shock). Same group of posters neg repping one person repeatedly until rules regarding neg repping were changed. Abuse of the system still continued. Like most things... It's the abuse of a few that ruin it for everyone. Yet the abusers will still whine about it... Even though they are to blame for it being taken away.

Yes. And it was abused ( big shock). Same group of posters neg repping one person repeatedly until rules regarding neg repping were changed. Abuse of the system still continued. Like most things... It's the abuse of a few that ruin it for everyone. Yet the abusers will still whine about it... Even though they are to blame for it being taken away.
A good neg was a badge of honor, IMO...but you are right...some people took it WAAAAAY to seriously.

If brought back names should be attached to the neg rep function. That way everyone can see who exactly is to blame the next time they lose it.

Good Lord, I know. Some people whine about changes to the forum incessantly, as if their lives depended upon this board being exactly what they want. It's hard to believe they are adults. :rolleyes-41:

H

Good Lord, I know. Some people whine about changes to the forum incessantly, as if their lives depended upon this board being exactly what they want. It's hard to believe they are adults. :rolleyes-41:
they whine because the changes made it harder to abuse other posters anonymously. For the most part it has to be done in the open now. They can't hide behind the rep system anymore.

'Funny' button's superflouous. If you thought a thread was funny, say 'thanks' and something about it being funny. Creating a button seems like it'll reduce interactions by giving lazy people a button to hit instead of having to write it out.

H

they whine because the changes made it harder to abuse other posters anonymously. For the most part it has to be done in the open now. They can't hide behind the rep system anymore.

Some of them whine about EVERYTHING, their avatars aren't animated anymore, they don't like the new setup, they are mad because there are no more "reps", blah, blah, blah. :D And then you get the ones who think they deserve some special treatment because they made a voluntary donation to the board or because they've been posters here for a long time. It's really ridiculousness at it's finest. This is only an internet forum.

'Funny' button's superflouous. If you thought a thread was funny, say 'thanks' and something about it being funny. Creating a button seems like it'll reduce interactions by giving lazy people a button to hit instead of having to write it out.

Yeah, I don't see why we need so many buttons. To me, that takes away from the interaction that is supposed to be occurring on these boards. I just recently joined another board. IIRC, they have reps but no neg rep. I really don't see the point or the big deal about this "reputation" bullshit either. It really means nothing. There are always going to be people who are going to disagree with you. You can't please all the people all the time. :D Lol.

H

Some of them whine about EVERYTHING, their avatars aren't animated anymore, they don't like the new setup, they are mad because there are no more "reps", blah, blah, blah. :D And then you get the ones who think they deserve some special treatment because they made a voluntary donation to the board or because they've been posters here for a long time. It's really ridiculousness at it's finest. This is only an internet forum.

Key word of course being "special treatment". It's what they are used to... So everytime they lose an inch... They cry about it. Should be expected.

Forum List

Back