Nevada legislation would allow tech companies to create local governments

How would they have the right to vote?
I have no doubt that the billionaires running any of cities would hand over legislation to their local and state representatives.

So they could theoretically have a right to vote in their local elections, but how is that any different than now? There are several cities and towns across the U.S. that allow resident aliens to vote in local elections, but they can't vote in state or federal.

I have no doubt that the billionaires running any of cities would hand over legislation to their local and state representatives.

So they could theoretically have a right to vote in their local elections, but how is that any different than now? There are several cities and towns across the U.S. that allow resident aliens to vote in local elections, but they can't vote in state or federal.
Yep...sucks.

Wow... Ghost deletes. Bad mods...

Carson City vs Night City...

Art meets reality... It's something interesting to be sure. But more info on Night City in this game:

A planned urban community originally founded by Richard Night in 1994, it was established at the head of Del Coronado Bay, facing the Pacific Ocean to the west, and was originally named Coronado City.

Night City is considered a modern multicultural and thriving metropolis of the 21st-Century overrun by corporations, corruption, organized crime and gang violence.[4] It has wide streets and dense urban skyscrapers which are home to almost seven million people by 2077. It operates as a fully independent city-state with the Arasaka Corporation having complete control. Night City is considered a thrilling and exciting location to visit, as well as an interesting and vibrant place to live for those of means, and a hellscape to the city's disenfranchised; its world famous slogan is "The City on the Edge of Tomorrow". Technology triumphant over the troubles of the past United States of America, a combination of cultures of the Old World, and a new beginning of the U.S.; Night City is now.

Edit: @Tipsycatlover feel free to PM me if you wish to talk about the game.

Interesting proposal. I've never heard of an idea like this being pitched before. It could be an interesting innovation in governance. Thoughts?

"According to a draft of the proposed legislation, obtained by the Review-Journal but not yet introduced in the Legislature, Innovation Zones would allow tech companies like Blockchains, LLC to effectively form separate local governments in Nevada, governments that would carry the same authority as a county, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and justice courts and provide government services, to name a few duties.

Sisolak pitched the concept in his State of the State address as his plan to bring in new companies that are at the forefront of “groundbreaking technologies,” all without the use of tax abatements or other publicly funded incentive packages that had previously helped Nevada bring companies like Tesla to the state."

Govt Sicko-whack is a tyrant and buffoon
Nobody wants to be ruled by these tech terrorist

He's a blockhead who can't even oversee unemployment and DMV offices competently. As Governor, he's been in over his head!

The older I get the more science fiction is no longer fiction. This proposition sounds like the story line for a number of sci fi novels where corporations are effectively states.

The older I get the more science fiction is no longer fiction. This proposition sounds like the story line for a number of sci fi novels where corporations are effectively states.

All of which hark back to the company town horrors of old that are the theme for innumerable westerns and action movies.

The Democrat Party has embraced slavery yet again.

It's why I brought up Cyberpunk 2077... It literally addresses what this thread is about in it's foundation of story telling. In fact within that world I don't think there are "parties" as we know them, republicans and democrats are gone in this framework. It's all about which corporation(s) supports you.

It's a very adult game, with adult themes. Looking for a time sink that also has some amazing real possibilities given this thread, might not be such a bad thing.

With that said I think I'm done promoting the game in relation to the thread if no one wants to compare or talk about it. I get that most the population here might be a little too old or simply doesn't have the same interests I do.

I would like to say in closing... It's odd that a democrat is bringing this to the table. Isn't it?

All of which hark back to the company town horrors of old that are the theme for innumerable westerns and action movies.

Actually if you read the article, it's not the Demorat Party. It's the governor, who is a Dem, along with the support of others, including Republicans in Nevada who are intrigued by the idea. It's not a "party" thing.

It is intriguing, and there are a lot of stipulations, for example the company must own a large amount of average and it must be uninhabited. It's an interesting way to attract business and development in a state with a lot of land but little real development I suppose. But, I agree - it harkens back to the "Company Town".

Actually if you read the article, it's not the Demorat Party. It's the governor, who is a Dem, along with the support of others, including Republicans in Nevada who are intrigued by the idea. It's not a "party" thing.

It is intriguing, and there are a lot of stipulations, for example the company must own a large amount of average and it must be uninhabited. It's an interesting way to attract business and development in a state with a lot of land but little real development I suppose. But, I agree - it harkens back to the "Company Town".

The governor is the head of the democrat Party in Nevada. However, you are correct in that it IS a cabal between the dems, and repubs of the self appointed ruling class. A group that thinks they are above the law and are taking great pains to prove to us serfs that they are.

There is a reason why most of that state isn't developed.

Most of the state is a desert. It's desolate. I've driven almost all of the state. I started going there in the 80s.

There is literally nothing out in Nevada for hundreds of miles. No services. No water.

There is a reason why, it's not inhabitable. There is no water out there and the source of water for the already established areas is running out.

They mostly get their water from the Colorado river through Lake Meade. Which has been going dry since the 80s. Whole ends of that lake are now dry and baron with dust flying everywhere with the wind.

Nothing on this planet can live without water and there isn't much of it in Nevada.

You can drive out in to that desert and see where some tried to start housing and resorts only to abandon them.

Nevada should address the water issue first. Corporations aren't going to go there if there isn't a source of clean water. No matter what you offer to them.

Interesting proposal. I've never heard of an idea like this being pitched before. It could be an interesting innovation in governance. Thoughts?

"According to a draft of the proposed legislation, obtained by the Review-Journal but not yet introduced in the Legislature, Innovation Zones would allow tech companies like Blockchains, LLC to effectively form separate local governments in Nevada, governments that would carry the same authority as a county, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and justice courts and provide government services, to name a few duties.

Sisolak pitched the concept in his State of the State address as his plan to bring in new companies that are at the forefront of “groundbreaking technologies,” all without the use of tax abatements or other publicly funded incentive packages that had previously helped Nevada bring companies like Tesla to the state."

It would be stricken by the courts if it were ever enacted. It's a clear violation of Article 4, Section 4 of the Constitution. Would the quasigovernments in these zones be exempt from county and State taxes like other governmental agencies, what about the people living there?

Who will be forced to live in them?

Where is it written that the citizens get a vote in how the companies run things?

Who will be forced to live in them?

Why set them up again? And if you are so naive to think that once set up, no one will be in them, then you aren't as clever as you think you are

Just so its clear the Democrat Gov of Nevada, whats to give tech companies the right to override local and county govt elected officials...There nullifying the will of the voters who legally elected those offficials to represent them.

Whats next BLM and ANTIFA can have the right to override elected govt officals too

PREDICTION: Democrats will lose the house and senate in 2022 and Potus in 2024
I believe the democrats know they cant win and rushing to push through as much of their IDIOCY as they can, with the hopes the GOP doesnt have the cajones to reverse it...

Nevada's governor on Friday unveiled a proposal that would allow technology companies to establish jurisdictions with powers similar to those of county governments, arguing the state needed to be bold to diversify its economy and pushing back against those who have likened the idea to company towns.

“This proposal is an exciting, unprecedented concept that has a potential to position Nevada as a global center of advanced technology and innovation, while helping to create immediate positive economic impact and shape the economy of the future,” Gov. Steve Sisolak said of his Innovation Zones idea. “As we’ve learned in the past, an emergency requires us to throw out the tried-and-true, discard the ‘How We’ve Always Done It’ manual and move on.”

The proposal would allow companies developing cutting-edge technologies with at least 50,000 acres (200 sq. kilometers) of land that promise to invest $1.25 billion to oversee zoning, taxation, law enforcement and other government functions on their land and override local regulations put in place by the county in which they are located. The governor’s office of economic development would initially appoint three members to govern the zone, including two required to be from the company.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business...ower-to-govern

Forum List

Back