Netflix: The Pale Blue Eye.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This is a good one.
And too many cameo's to count.... is that Robert Duvall? ... why yes it is.
A story set in 1830 at West Point, where cadets are showing up murdered... and mysteriously their hearts are cut out of their bodies.
Nothing in this movie is as it seems. You think you have it figured out, and you don't. Then - "Oh now I get it... oh wait"
A well written story, extremely well acted is one not to miss if you like a good story more than you like CGI action, nudity and dramatic scenes.
It is a slow burn, and that loses a lot of people, thus the mediocre audience ratings.

I thought the movies was excellent. Christian Bale is becoming one of my favorite actors.

Excellent plot, great characters, and well cast. And the cameos, as iamwhatiseem said, are excellent.

The plot twist was one I never saw coming.

I'm a sucker for period pieces and this is a good one....My only knock on it is it's a bit long and tends to drag a bit.

The guy playing E.A. Poe really favors him too.
I recognized him, but couldn't place him. He was in Queens Gambit.
He does a great job playing the role.
I agree it is a slow burn, I paused the movie to go to the restroom and was surprised it wasn't even half over yet. Nevertheless, it inserts well placed surprises that keep you interested. I was never bored, but I admit a few times I was ready for the conclusion before the script writer was willing to give it.
IMDB audience is a tepid 6.7... no doubt the movie loses too many people. In this day and age of 8 second videos and instant gratification.. it is pretty hard to keep this audience entertained.

I thought the movies was excellent. Christian Bale is becoming one of my favorite actors.

Excellent plot, great characters, and well cast. And the cameos, as iamwhatiseem said, are excellent.

The plot twist was one I never saw coming.
Yeah that ending was ... "wait...what??"
But it made sense. It wasn't a stupid ending that frustrates... just one you didn't see coming, but once it happens it falls into place nicely.

Good film. Brings out some historical realities...There were a lot of nay-sayers in Congress when it comes to West Point. At times, its existence was hanging by a thread. Good scenery. Plot is a little far-fetched, but what isn't these days?

Good film. Brings out some historical realities...There were a lot of nay-sayers in Congress when it comes to West Point. At times, its existence was hanging by a thread. Good scenery. Plot is a little far-fetched, but what isn't these days?
It is supposed to be.
I won't give away spoilers, so treading water here... but the story is modeled (clearly) after Poe's own stories. Nothing is really as it seems. But then... wait... yes it is.

I tend to look at period pieces for correctness and they did a really good job even down to the extensive use of candles.....In 1830 whale oil lamps were just coming into widespread use but it (whale oil) was expensive so candles for general lighting were still the mainstay.

This is a good one.
And too many cameo's to count.... is that Robert Duvall? ... why yes it is.
A story set in 1830 at West Point, where cadets are showing up murdered... and mysteriously their hearts are cut out of their bodies.
Nothing in this movie is as it seems. You think you have it figured out, and you don't. Then - "Oh now I get it... oh wait"
A well written story, extremely well acted is one not to miss if you like a good story more than you like CGI action, nudity and dramatic scenes.
It is a slow burn, and that loses a lot of people, thus the mediocre audience ratings.

The Pale Blue Eye was a good mystery but I thought Knives Out was a better one.

Forum List

Back