Netflix new Movie: Don't Look Up.... should be Don't watch This

Ahh.... if true no wonder it is so terrible.
The New York Times says it is supposed to be a parody of how everyone reacts to climate change, gun control etc.
So yeah... the goal wasn't to make a good movie. The goal was to make fun of people who don't immediately follow and tow the line.
I tried to watch it last night. It's supposed to be a comedy?
If you want disappointment, watch that movie.

All the right ingredients... huge star studded cast, super star main actors... funny story line... what could go wrong?
Apparently, everything.
We lasted about 30 minutes and couldn't take it anymore.
It was as if everyone met together and decided to shoot the whole movie in one day, no retakes allowed. Because the movie just flat out did not flow well.
It is a hot mess, like random scenes thrown together.
De Caprio was actually pretty good. He played the character well. Jennifer Lawrence, on the other hand, over played the role like a high school drama queen. It was terrible.

The movie is "free"... if you want to try it, go ahead... just don't say you wasn't warned.
I made it through all 2 hours and 30 mins of this awful movie. The first 30 or 40 mins is not too bad, a bugling astronomer (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his side kick Jennifer Lawrence makes the greatest discover in the history of mankind, a killer comet that will destroy the earth in 6 mos. They confirm there findings and meet with the president (Meryl Streep) who is totally consumed by politics and decides we should sit tight and assess. On TV talk shows our two crusaders get a similar response, with the hosts more concerned with Hollywood gossip than the end of the earth.

At this point, the first 30 mins could have been made into a pretty good skit on Saturday Night Live. However, the movie goes on for about two hours more with Adam McKay, director and writer bouncing back and fort between satire and absurdity. The president holds Trump style rallies telling the people "Don't Look Up" which becomes a political chant across the country as the end nears. Finally this mishmash comes to an end with the president flying off to another planet leaving the earth to face totally destruction. In the finale scene, the audience is treated to the destruction the earth with humans and animals ripped apart and flying off into space. Wow, what a great movie for Christmas.
Rotten Tomatoes gave this thing a very generous 56.

Last edited:
I made it through all 2 hours and 30 mins of this awful movie. The first 30 or 40 mins is not too bad, a bugling astronomer (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his side kick Jennifer Lawrence makes the greatest discover in the history of mankind, a killer comet that will destroy the earth in 6 mos. They confirm there findings and meet with the president (Meryl Streep) who is totally consumed by politics and decides we should sit tight and assess. On TV talk shows our two crusaders get a similar response, with the hosts more concerned with Hollywood gossip than the end of the earth.

At this point, the first 30 mins could have been made into a pretty good skit on Saturday Night Live. However, the movie goes on for about two hours more with Adam McKay, director and writer bouncing back and fort between satire and absurdity. The president holds Trump style rallies telling the people "Don't Look Up" which becomes a political chant across the country as the end nears. Finally this mishmash comes to an end with the president flying off to another planet leaving the earth to face totally destruction. In the finale scene, the audience is treated to the destruction the earth with humans and animals ripped apart and flying off into space. Wow, what a great movie for Christmas.
I shut it off after the talk show segment. Really bad.

I made it through all 2 hours and 30 mins of this awful movie. The first 30 or 40 mins is not too bad, a bugling astronomer (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his side kick Jennifer Lawrence makes the greatest discover in the history of mankind, a killer comet that will destroy the earth in 6 mos. They confirm there findings and meet with the president (Meryl Streep) who is totally consumed by politics and decides we should sit tight and assess. On TV talks shows our two crusaders get a similar response, with the hosts more concerned with Hollywood gossip than the end the end of the earth.

At this point, the first 30 mins could have been made into a pretty good skit on Saturday Night Alight. However, the movie goes on for about two hours more with Adam McKay, director and writer bouncing back and fort between satire and absurdity. The president holds Trump style rallies telling the people "Don't Look Up" which becomes a political chant across the country as the end nears. Finally this mishmash comes to an end with the president flying off to another planet to leaving the earth to face totally destruction. In the finale scene, the audience is treated to the destruction the earth with humans and animals ripped apart and flying off into space.
Props for making it through... whew... we couldn't do it.
It was like they couldn't decide what kind of movie they wanted to make, so they just shot scenes and threw it all against the wall and see how it comes out.
And I agree... RT ratings of 56% is very generous. I would give it... Gosh... 25% if I was in a great mood.

It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with a critique on society not listening to its rulers, and what it believes is best for the populace. It isn't about the comet, not really. Not in the final analysis. Read the comments in the trailer, and you'll get it.

"Loved the message behind this movie. The reaction of the government, the media and all the people is so accurate. Now, instead of a comet imagine a pandemic and watch the movie again…"

"This feels disturbingly realistic. I mean, this is exactly how we'd react at this point. We live in a post-satire world now."

"Producer: So how many academy winning celebrities do you need in the movie? Director: Yes"

These are comments from folks who believe everything they hear from politicians, and see on TEE VEE. They bleeve the narratives contructed by the ruling classes.

I get it from watching the trailer.

It seems to be a mind game, all to convince those who are unconvinced by official gas-lighting, that they will be the cause of civilization collapse if they don't listen to government and corporate experts. And the actors? They aren't doing it for the pay they receive for this one small time production, they are doing it to maintain their position in the propagandist's hierarchy, so they will continue to get the biggest roles. It is sort of like, "their duty," to the rulers, to continue to push the narrative.

. . . the comments in the trailer make it all abundantly clear how this piece of agitprop is intended to work on the mass cultural mind.

Folks that are asleep to propaganda, will love this piece of propaganda, those who understand what is really going on? They will find this an insult to their intelligence.

I love the ending. This is likely what would happen, except the ending.

Out of work actors will take any script these days.
If that were case, I might be willing to overlook this pieces of nonsense. Adam McKay has produce and directed a number of hit movies. Meryl Streep and Leonardo DiCaprio are both academy award winners and are filthy rich. These guys can make any kind of movie whenever they chose. I suspect that McKay, who hates social media, clickbait celebrity culture, and the merging of real science into political science decided he was going to change the landscape of this country with a movie filled ridicule and scorn. Unfortunately, that does not change hearts and minds but tends to do the very opposite.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with a critique on society not listening to its rulers, and what it believes is best for the populace. It isn't about the comet, not really. Not in the final analysis. Read the comments in the trailer, and you'll get it.

"Loved the message behind this movie. The reaction of the government, the media and all the people is so accurate. Now, instead of a comet imagine a pandemic and watch the movie again…"

"This feels disturbingly realistic. I mean, this is exactly how we'd react at this point. We live in a post-satire world now."

"Producer: So how many academy winning celebrities do you need in the movie? Director: Yes"

These are comments from folks who believe everything they hear from politicians, and see on TEE VEE. They bleeve the narratives contructed by the ruling classes.

I get it from watching the trailer.

It seems to be a mind game, all to convince those who are unconvinced by official gas-lighting, that they will be the cause of civilization collapse if they don't listen to government and corporate experts. And the actors? They aren't doing it for the pay they receive for this one small time production, they are doing it to maintain their position in the propagandist's hierarchy, so they will continue to get the biggest roles. It is sort of like, "their duty," to the rulers, to continue to push the narrative.

. . . the comments in the trailer make it all abundantly clear how this piece of agitprop is intended to work on the mass cultural mind.

Folks that are asleep to propaganda, will love this piece of propaganda, those who understand what is really going on? They will find this an insult to their intelligence.

dont-look-up.jpg

The movie is a satire to spur a conversation about potentially ignoring a crisis until it's too late. However, it goes further to blame the lack of response on our obsession with politics and accumulation of wealth and our disregard of science. I seriously doubt that this movie will spur such a conversation.
Still funny and thats how they would act.

It appears the harshest critics didn't even bother to watch it.
I agree with Mike that it was funny and an accurate portrayal of the ineptitude of government, the media, and most social media users. Use any crises and the result is the same. Use the rising debt even, since nobody's taking that seriously.

When we lose the abilty to laugh at ourselves while we laugh at others, then we have gone full tribal.

I agree with Mike that it was funny and an accurate portrayal of the ineptitude of government, the media, and most social media users. Use any crises and the result is the same. Use the rising debt even, since nobody's taking that seriously.

When we lose the abilty to laugh at ourselves while we laugh at others, then we have gone full tribal.
The dinosaur eating the bitch was fantastic!

You honestly believe a US president would ignore an event that would destroy the whole planet in 6 months. Even if we had such a stupid president, political pressure and the media would force him to act.

Although the first half hour or so was funny, as the move drug on, the humor got less funny and more depressing.

You honestly believe a US president would ignore an event that would destroy the whole planet in 6 months. Even if we had such a stupid president, political pressure and the media would force him to act.

Although the first half hour or so was funny, as the move drug on, the humor got less funny and more depressing.
IT's COMEDY, ASSHOLE!

IT's COMEDY, ASSHOLE!
I'd probably enjoy it. Stupid entertains me. :auiqs.jpg:

I am a low maintenance entertained consumer.

I thought these were a gas.

Iron Sky The Coming Race 2019​

Iron Sky The Coming Race Promo​

Forum List

Back