Netflix Jeffrey Dahmer show, is it morally wrong?

I think so. His sick crimes should not be exploited for profit or glorified at all. Feel free to call me a snowflake, but Iā€™m not an insensitive prick like the people at Netflix.

Don't paint with such a wide brush. My son in law works for Netflix and he shares your opinion.

I've not watched it, and I don;t know if I will. I know a guy; a guy whose soul is as black as night, who watched it and he said he had to turn it off. That's almost enough for me to pass on it...

I think so. His sick crimes should not be exploited for profit or glorified at all. Feel free to call me a snowflake, but Iā€™m not an insensitive prick like the people at Netflix.
He is a historic infamous figure, like Jack the Ripper. I think if you can produce content about him that people want to watch, you should be able to profit from it. :dunno:

Don't paint with such a wide brush. My son in law works for Netflix and he shares your opinion.

I've not watched it, and I don;t know if I will. I know a guy; a guy whose soul is as black as night, who watched it and he said he had to turn it off. That's almost enough for me to pass on it...
Fair enough, I am sure there are people at Netflix who had no say on the show, Iā€™ll qualify my statement to be limited to the people who are involved with the project who work at Netflix.

Iā€™m really surprised Netflix hasnā€™t any heat for this show.
He is a historic infamous figure, like Jack the Ripper. I think if you can produce content about him that people want to watch, you should be able to profit from it. :dunno:
what about all victims families that now all of a sudden have to relive their horrors?

Iā€™m not saying they shouldnā€™t be allowed to produce the series. I am saying itā€™s unethical

I think that Dahmer's crimes were so unthinkable that people want to know how a human being could commit such atrocities. That being said, I will not watch it because I have already heard and read enough about this evil man and there is never any plausible explanation offered by the 'experts' nor Dahmer himself. Netflix is just pandering to get viewers and it stinks. Thanks to Christopher Scarver, Dahmer is now room temperature.

what about all victims families that now all of a sudden have to relive their horrors?
Could we not say the same for 9/11 or the Holocausts? Should we not have cartel documentaries? History is going to be more painful for some than others, but what can we do about that? :dunno:

I agree. All the jokes from women saying he's attractive and people wanting to dress up as him for Halloween because of this show sickens me.

Fair enough, I am sure there are people at Netflix who had no say on the show, Iā€™ll qualify my statement to be limited to the people who are involved with the project who work at Netflix.

Yeah, my son in law is a software engineer for them...

Iā€™m not saying they shouldnā€™t be allowed to produce the series. I am saying itā€™s unethical

How do they relive the horrors if they don't watch the movie?

People tend to be curious about criminals, that's why "In Cold Blood" was so popular.

Since Mr. Dahmer was LGBTQ+, and October is LGBTQ+ History Month, now is the time to feature this fellow IMHO.

Yeah, my son in law is a software engineer for them...

How do they relive the horrors if they don't watch the movie?
Because a lot of people talking about the show and internet memes all over the place. I doubt any of the families of the victims will be watching it.

Could we not say the same for 9/11 or the Holocausts? Should we not have cartel documentaries? History is going to be more painful for some than others, but what can we do about that? :dunno:
The Jefferey Dahmer crimes werenā€™t important historical events like the holocaust or 911.

A documentary is one thing, but the reenactment of his crimes on a show is morally reprehensible

Because a lot of people talking about the show and internet memes all over the place. I doubt any of the families of the victims will be watching it.

Oh, I don;t think so, either.

But I also don't think it's something which is going to make them suddenly recall the horrors, simply because I'd bet my last nickel that they've never forgotten those horrors...

Well, there have been documentaries on people such as John Wayne Gacy, the BTK killer, as well as many others. Should those shows be blackballed and their creators called morally bankrupt as well, or is it just Dahmer that you object to?

The problem is, he has already long ago been glorified by media, courtroom video and other productiosn. Why? Because it sells.

Even I can't understand why it grabs my attention. I never look out the window to look at a car crash, I have no interest at all, I find it disrespectful. For some reason, trying to learn about the human psyche that produces such animals is more interesting and I'm far from alone.

It's probably related to my interest in non-fiction stories, the human condition, good and bad. I have watched a TV show, "Very Scary People" I think it was called on some high channel on cable, and they've covered the Nightstalker, Dahmer, Zodiac Killer, Ted Bundy and others.

There are already plenty of movies, tv episodes, books, articles, podcasts, interviews etc. on so many vicious murderers. In the end, it is the families themselves who might have a legitimate issue with this. However, I suppose it's just history, right? Unfortunately, their families are often still alive today which makes this problematic to me in their constant reminder of grief.

Is it in bad taste? That's subjective. I can tell you I don't watch for any gore so if it is gory, I will pass. Any form of torture, excessive explicit abuses of others (or animals) I refuse to watch. I've immediately turned off many movies that started off well once torture becomes part of the "plot".

I do watch these stories as someone who studies people. I'm curious about how and why someone becomes so depraved, how they are eventually caught, the shock on society that such animals live among us.

Well the show is kinda sick. Not my cup of tea but it is not for you or I to decide whether or not others watch it or not. You know that pesky freedom thing. I deserve it as well as every one else.

Well, there have been documentaries on people such as John Wayne Gacy, the BTK killer, as well as many others. Should those shows be blackballed and their creators called morally bankrupt as well, or is it just Dahmer that you object to?
I donā€™t know what you mean by blackballed, but I will say that people should be allowed to produce these shows, but I have a right to say itā€™s unethical. The Dahmer show isnā€™t a documentary, itā€™s a show reenacting his heinous crimes. Netflix is exploiting his crimes for profit.

Hereā€™s what a family member of a victim had to say:

I donā€™t know what you mean by blackballed, but I will say that people should be allowed to produce these shows, but I have a right to say itā€™s unethical. The Dahmer show isnā€™t a documentary, itā€™s a show reenacting his heinous crimes. Netflix is exploiting his crimes for profit.

Hereā€™s what a family member of a victim had to say:

To blackball someone is to reject or ostracize them. I guess I should have used the term "boycott".

But, to be fair, there have been shows about Gacy (that were reenactments of his life and his crimes) as well as about the BTK Killer (that's how I found out he worked for the city before he was caught). So, in your opinion, should shows about all serial killers be boycotted? What about the film "Zodiac" that showed the police hunt, as well as the killer's means of taunting the police (who was never caught by the way). Should that movie be boycotted as well?

I get that those sort of things make you squeamish and you don't like them, but there are others out there who are interested in things and people like that. I don't really understand them either, but they're out there and apparently making money at it, otherwise the films wouldn't be made.

To blackball someone is to reject or ostracize them. I guess I should have used the term "boycott".

But, to be fair, there have been shows about Gacy (that were reenactments of his life and his crimes) as well as about the BTK Killer (that's how I found out he worked for the city before he was caught). So, in your opinion, should shows about all serial killers be boycotted? What about the film "Zodiac" that showed the police hunt, as well as the killer's means of taunting the police (who was never caught by the way). Should that movie be boycotted as well?

I get that those sort of things make you squeamish and you don't like them, but there are others out there who are interested in things and people like that. I don't really understand them either, but they're out there and apparently making money at it, otherwise the films wouldn't be made.
Iā€™m not telling anyone what to watch, but I think producing these kind of shows is sleazy. Itā€™s also not a matter of being squeamish, I choose not to support this show out of respect for the families affected.

Forum List

Back