Neil Diamond

Saw him perform in 1983.

He was very good.

I saw him in August of '86 at The Greek... Hot August Night II. A great show, but I wish I had been there for the original in '72.

Then I saw him again a couple of times in the late '90s at the Los Angeles Forum in the round.

I maintain that the only Neil Diamond album anyone really needs is the original Hot August Night. A masterful live recording.

I'm really not a fan, but he's talented and unique.

I put him in with Tom Jones and Barry Manilow.

They have a staunch fan base, and good songs, just..they don't resonate with me much.

Years ago when I was still married my wife got tickets to a Neil Diamond concert... I didn't want to go but happy wife happy life right? :hmpf:... it was the greatest concert I've ever been to....

I'm really not a fan, but he's talented and unique.

I put him in with Tom Jones and Barry Manilow.

They have a staunch fan base, and good songs, just..they don't resonate with me much.

Tom Jones is coming out with some new stuff that is less 'pop'.

He has some old duets that are pretty good, but yes, in general not a lot of stuff I listen to regularly.

If you never saw him live, you don't know Neil Diamond...

Nah, all you need is a truly good, professional sound playback system, not the black box tin crap they sell consumers in department stores and hi-fi shops, if they even still have such things! That'll put Neil Diamond right in front of you in your music room, front row center.

Nah, all you need is a truly good, professional sound playback system, not the black box tin crap they sell consumers in department stores and hi-fi shops, if they even still have such things! That'll put Neil Diamond right in front of you in your music room, front row center.

It's much harder to find, and a lot more expensive now, especially brands like Marantz. The high end players for the better music file systems like FLAC are pretty hefty, but well worth it. I've got over $16K in my newest stuff, and I don't have much except the basics, and I still have the older stuff in storage, like the reel to reels and amps. I don't care for the 'home theater' stuff, so I still buy the individual components and mix and match brands. As I ger older and my ears get worse I find the high end equalizers and optical DA convertors a necessity, not a luxury.

Last edited:
It's much harder to find, and a lot more expensive now, especially brands like Marantz. The high end players for the better music file systems like FLAC are pretty hefty, but well worth it. I've got over $16K in my newest stuff, and I don't have much except the basics, and I still have the older stuff in storage, like the reel to reels and amps. I don't care for the 'home theater' stuff, so I still buy the individual components and mix and match brands. As I ger older and my ears get worse I find the high end equalizers and optical DA convertors a necessity, not a luxury.

I like where you're going, now think more in the range of a $200,000 system. Only, the trick is to know how to scarf older consumer and pro audio gear at a steal, then refurbish, redesign, improve, or even modify or make yourself to bring the price WAY WAY down over what retail would cost you! :71:

Here is about half my main stereo, sans the 5 cabinet, 5-way speaker system. I don't have any Diamond albums, but if I had one, I could make Neil (or anyone else) come alive. Total investment: closer to only about $5K. Of course, that is only my beater turntable.

P6244441-2.jpg

Forum List

Back