Need to ask for some quick help. An exorcise in perception

Maryland Patriot

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
If you all would not mind. I need to get peoples perceptions of a Heroin addict.
Think about this for a moment, then, please if you would describe your impression of what a "Typical" heroin addict would look and act like. make a picture in your mind and write it down.
How they dress, posture, hygiene, whatever comes to mind. I will explain all of this at a later date, I dont want to explain it now because it could influence an honest picture in your mind of the individual in question.
If you want to expand on their lifestyle or daily activities as you would perceive them that would be helpful also.
Thanks in advance and have fun but try to be honest.

There is no one-size-fits-all version of what an addict may look like. I would look towards behavior, change in habits, schedules, demeamor, accuity, diet, hygiene, social proclivities, character.

There is no one-size-fits-all version of what an addict may look like. I would look towards behavior, change in habits, schedules, demeamor, accuity, diet, hygiene, social proclivities, character.
Actually a really good answer.
I work with addicts, and am trying to get an understanding of peoples perceptions of them. Im curious how many people might be looked at as addicts that never touched a drug in their life, and how many addicts are pulling the wool over societies eyes.
I have spent the last 3 almost 4 years researching this from the addicts point of view. and am now ready to start looking at the issue from the outside, The answers I hope to get here are going to help me build a basic model to start with.

I work with addicts, and am trying to get an understanding of peoples perceptions of them. Im curious how many people might be looked at as addicts that never touched a drug in their life, and how many addicts are pulling the wool over societies eyes.
I have spent the last 3 almost 4 years researching this from the addicts point of view. and am now ready to start looking at the issue from the outside, The answers I hope to get here are going to help me build a basic model to start with.
"I have spent the last 3 almost 4 years researching this from the addicts point of view."

I hope that was not first hand experimentation.

IMO the addict's main task besides getting high is to attempt at appearing normal in their societal setting.

"I have spent the last 3 almost 4 years researching this from the addicts point of view."

IMO the addict's main task besides getting high is to attempt at appearing normal in their societal setting.
no, not from first hand experimentation. But let me explain a bit more.
I am in the process of writing a "book" that will basically try and help explain the addict. Some are just plain idiots that allowed themselves to get talked into something, other cases are more complex and were not planned by any means by the addict. As hard as that might be to believe or understand.
Like I said, I have covered from the addicts point of view, I have spent hundreds of hours sitting with and talking to addicts in their "shooting galleries" I have interviewed well over 100 different individuals during this period. I have also had the opportunity to talk to some of the dealers involved in this epidemic and have their views. Some actually think they are doing a good thing.
I have covered the physiology of the chemical on the brain and body, Ive covered the history of heroin/opiates and their original intended uses medically including products that contained the drug that at one point could be purchased over the counter. I have covered the money trail in a general sort of way.
Now as I begin to compile and organize the information from the addicts themselves, I want to begin gathering the perception from those not addicted or involved with anyone that is. I am going to complete the project with the various methods of recovery.

Now its funny that you questioned my experimentation with the drug. I have not used heroin on purpose. Let me explain that one, I was involved with an intervention that went bad fast, a scuffle broke out and I ended up getting a dose injected into a muscle. (not the proper way) although it took longer to take effect, I did end up experiencing the heroin high from it. I have to tell you, its not a bad feeling at all. Of course it then required the appropriate testing to make sure I did not contract something from the "shared" needle.
Along with that, I have also been collaborating with a friend that just happens to be an ER physician. One of the areas that I can not fully understand is the withdrawal from an addiction. Im sure you have had some type of injury that involved pain before, think about trying to convey that pain to someone that has never felt it, and think about how you can describe it well enough to make them feel it. Impossible. The most common explanation of withdrawal is that they feel like they have a bad flu. But, if you seem them in withdrawal, its not uncommon for them to be curled up and crying, this to me indicates more pain that just the flu would bring. Others have said their bones hurt.
at any rate, we have been toying with the idea as a final step in my research for me to actually under controlled environment, use the drug just long enough to create an addiction. 21 days of continuous use seems to be a fairly good average number according to research. Then, after dependency has taken its place, I would then again under the control and supervision of medically trained professionals, suffer the withdrawal cold, no chemical assistance to help. This would give me a better insight into the recovery process that will close out my work.
But like I said, Im extremely cautious of doing the experimentation, and that is mostly because of what I have learned from those that are addicted. It is not impossible that I could actually become what Im trying to cure. ( cure is not really a good word here)
So anyway, that is the reason and the basis of my original question and any answer at all is helpful.

I am in the process of writing a "book" that will basically try and help explain the addict. Some are just plain idiots that allowed themselves to get talked into something, other cases are more complex and were not planned by any means by the addict. As hard as that might be to believe or understand.
Like I said, I have covered from the addicts point of view, I have spent hundreds of hours sitting with and talking to addicts in their "shooting galleries" I have interviewed well over 100 different individuals during this period. I have also had the opportunity to talk to some of the dealers involved in this epidemic and have their views. Some actually think they are doing a good thing.
I have covered the physiology of the chemical on the brain and body, Ive covered the history of heroin/opiates and their original intended uses medically including products that contained the drug that at one point could be purchased over the counter. I have covered the money trail in a general sort of way.
Now as I begin to compile and organize the information from the addicts themselves, I want to begin gathering the perception from those not addicted or involved with anyone that is. I am going to complete the project with the various methods of recovery.

Now its funny that you questioned my experimentation with the drug. I have not used heroin on purpose. Let me explain that one, I was involved with an intervention that went bad fast, a scuffle broke out and I ended up getting a dose injected into a muscle. (not the proper way) although it took longer to take effect, I did end up experiencing the heroin high from it. I have to tell you, its not a bad feeling at all. Of course it then required the appropriate testing to make sure I did not contract something from the "shared" needle.
Along with that, I have also been collaborating with a friend that just happens to be an ER physician. One of the areas that I can not fully understand is the withdrawal from an addiction. Im sure you have had some type of injury that involved pain before, think about trying to convey that pain to someone that has never felt it, and think about how you can describe it well enough to make them feel it. Impossible. The most common explanation of withdrawal is that they feel like they have a bad flu. But, if you seem them in withdrawal, its not uncommon for them to be curled up and crying, this to me indicates more pain that just the flu would bring. Others have said their bones hurt.
at any rate, we have been toying with the idea as a final step in my research for me to actually under controlled environment, use the drug just long enough to create an addiction. 21 days of continuous use seems to be a fairly good average number according to research. Then, after dependency has taken its place, I would then again under the control and supervision of medically trained professionals, suffer the withdrawal cold, no chemical assistance to help. This would give me a better insight into the recovery process that will close out my work.
But like I said, Im extremely cautious of doing the experimentation, and that is mostly because of what I have learned from those that are addicted. It is not impossible that I could actually become what Im trying to cure. ( cure is not really a good word here)
So anyway, that is the reason and the basis of my original question and any answer at all is helpful.
"at any rate, we have been toying with the idea as a final step in my research for me to actually under controlled environment, use the drug just long enough to create an addiction. 21 days of continuous use seems to be a fairly good average number according to research. Then, after dependency has taken its place, I would then again under the control and supervision of medically trained professionals, suffer the withdrawal cold, no chemical assistance to help. This would give me a better insight into the recovery process that will close out my work."

While laudable, you are playing Russian Roulette with your existence on this Earth. Changing your body chemistry for the sake of others who are addicted is risky at best.

"at any rate, we have been toying with the idea as a final step in my research for me to actually under controlled environment, use the drug just long enough to create an addiction. 21 days of continuous use seems to be a fairly good average number according to research. Then, after dependency has taken its place, I would then again under the control and supervision of medically trained professionals, suffer the withdrawal cold, no chemical assistance to help. This would give me a better insight into the recovery process that will close out my work."

While laudable, you are playing Russian Roulette with your existence on this Earth. Changing your body chemistry for the sake of others who are addicted is risky at best.
yeah, I know.
however I do think it would be helpful when working with others.
Its like when I broke my back and a chip of vertebrae started sawing a nerve. When the doctor said, I know how you feel, I asked if he had been through it, he hadn't, I lost all respect for his I know how you feel comment and was like, fuck the Tylenol, give me the damn Dilaudid bitch before I crush your nuts in a vise and give you a small clue about how I feel...
Same thing with withdrawal. If I write about the pain of withdrawal, I would like it to be factual and not what I just imagine.
and its not just the withdrawal that I would be getting insight into, I would also have the first hand knowledge of the idiot stage (where I decide this is a good idea) through the addiction and then onto the withdrawal.
I think my body would recover. I would however have an advantage that others do not, and that is medical monitoring throughout the entire process. That way I would also have records showing what my body was doing. Before during and after brain scans to show where the activity increases and decreases, then how long it takes to normalize again with the original baseline scans.
My fear? that I actually do end up with a chance of relapse when said and done.

yeah, I know.
Its like when I broke my back and a chip of vertebrae started sawing a nerve. When the doctor said, I know how you feel, I asked if he had been through it, he hadn't, I lost all respect for his I know how you feel comment and was like, fuck the Tylenol, give me the damn Dilaudid bitch before I crush your nuts in a vise and give you a small clue about how I feel...
Same thing with withdrawal. If I write about the pain of withdrawal, I would like it to be factual and not what I just imagine.
and its not just the withdrawal that I would be getting insight into, I would also have the first hand knowledge of the idiot stage (where I decide this is a good idea) through the addiction and then onto the withdrawal.
I think my body would recover. I would however have an advantage that others do not, and that is medical monitoring throughout the entire process. That way I would also have records showing what my body was doing. Before during and after brain scans to show where the activity increases and decreases, then how long it takes to normalize again with the original baseline scans.
It is not the physical I am concerned with.

yeah, I know.
Im already hosed in the head, have you not read my posts? LOL

yeah, I know.
Im already hosed in the head, have you not read my posts? LOL
Nah you are just fine.

Addicts in the earlier stages of their addiction look like everyone else. But, over time they are going to become more and more the stereotype. Someone who's life revolves around the drug. Over time, they will lose their relationships, their money and eventually their life. So, up front it "looks like" everyone else. But the true reality of it will soon emerge.

Forum List

Back