Why the Choice to Be Childless is Bad for America

Klyde

Rookie
Nov 3, 2016
What do you think about childree movement?

"
Sitting around a table at a hookah bar in New York’s East Village with three women and a gay man, all of them in their 20s and 30s and all resolved to remain childless, a few things quickly became clear: First, for many younger Americans and especially those in cities, having children is no longer an obvious or inevitable choice. Second, many of those opting for childlessness have legitimate, if perhaps selfish, reasons for their decision.

I like seeing people with their children, because they have their special bond, and that’s really sweet, but it’s not something I look at for myself,” says Tiffany Jordan, a lively 30-year-old freelance wardrobe stylist who lives in Queens in a rent-stabilized apartment and dates a man who “practically lives there.

Jordan and her friends are part of a rising tide. Postfamilial America is in ascendancy as the fertility rate among women has plummeted, since the 2008 economic crisis and the Great Recession that followed, to its lowest level since reliable numbers were first kept in 1920. That downturn has put the U.S. fertility rate increasingly in line with those in other developed economies—suggesting that even if the economy rebounds, the birthrate may not. For many individual women considering their own lives and careers, children have become a choice, rather than an inevitable milestone—and one that comes with more costs than benefits.

“I don’t know if that’s selfish,” says Jordan, the daughter of an Ecuadoran and an Ohioan who grew up in the South Bronx, explaining her reasons for a decision increasingly common among women across the developed world, where more than half of the world’s population is now reproducing at below the replacement rate. “I feel like my life is not stable enough, and I don’t think I necessarily want it to be ... Kids, they change your entire life. That’s the name of the game. And that’s not something I’m interested in doing.”

The global causes of postfamilialism are diverse, and many, on their own, are socially favorable or at least benign. The rush of people worldwide into cities, for example, has ushered in prosperity for hundreds of millions, allowing families to be both smaller and more prosperous. Improvements in contraception and increased access to it have given women far greater control of their reproductive options, which has coincided with a decline in religion in most advanced countries. With women’s rights largely secured in the First World and their seats in the classroom, the statehouse, and the boardroom no longer tokens or novelties, children have ceased being an economic or cultural necessity for many or an eventual outcome of sex"

Source

I love kids and wish I had more. I couldnt imagine not having children. What a sucky way to go through life. I guess if you dont know what you are missing then you dont know your life sucks. I feel for the people that cant have children.

I love kids and wish I had more. I couldnt imagine not having children. What a sucky way to go through life. I guess if you dont know what you are missing then you dont know your life sucks. I feel for the people that cant have children.

I know exactly what I'm missing

Nothing at all

"
Sitting around a table at a hookah bar in New York’s East Village with three women and a gay man, all of them in their 20s and 30s and all resolved to remain childless, a few things quickly became clear: First, for many younger Americans and especially those in cities, having children is no longer an obvious or inevitable choice. Second, many of those opting for childlessness have legitimate, if perhaps selfish, reasons for their decision.

I like seeing people with their children, because they have their special bond, and that’s really sweet, but it’s not something I look at for myself,” says Tiffany Jordan, a lively 30-year-old freelance wardrobe stylist who lives in Queens in a rent-stabilized apartment and dates a man who “practically lives there.

Jordan and her friends are part of a rising tide. Postfamilial America is in ascendancy as the fertility rate among women has plummeted, since the 2008 economic crisis and the Great Recession that followed, to its lowest level since reliable numbers were first kept in 1920. That downturn has put the U.S. fertility rate increasingly in line with those in other developed economies—suggesting that even if the economy rebounds, the birthrate may not. For many individual women considering their own lives and careers, children have become a choice, rather than an inevitable milestone—and one that comes with more costs than benefits.

“I don’t know if that’s selfish,” says Jordan, the daughter of an Ecuadoran and an Ohioan who grew up in the South Bronx, explaining her reasons for a decision increasingly common among women across the developed world, where more than half of the world’s population is now reproducing at below the replacement rate. “I feel like my life is not stable enough, and I don’t think I necessarily want it to be ... Kids, they change your entire life. That’s the name of the game. And that’s not something I’m interested in doing.”

The global causes of postfamilialism are diverse, and many, on their own, are socially favorable or at least benign. The rush of people worldwide into cities, for example, has ushered in prosperity for hundreds of millions, allowing families to be both smaller and more prosperous. Improvements in contraception and increased access to it have given women far greater control of their reproductive options, which has coincided with a decline in religion in most advanced countries. With women’s rights largely secured in the First World and their seats in the classroom, the statehouse, and the boardroom no longer tokens or novelties, children have ceased being an economic or cultural necessity for many or an eventual outcome of sex"

Source

What businesses is it of yours if people wish to start a family or not? Hint: It isn't.

Not sure how this is anyone's business but theirs. However, given who they are and their attitudes, not breeding is doing the whole world a favor.

Now obviously, that does not pertain to everyone who wants to live without children.

Liberals should remain childless at all costs.

The reason why I do not promote the anti abortion agenda is because abortion almost exclusively eradicates libturd DNA.

Libturds are parasites, their DNA is defective after generations of no longer having to avoid predators, kill their own food, or even look where the fuck they're going. We've kept inferior genetic garbage alive with redundant safety measures and warnings all over everything. Bring back Lawn Jarts, Three Wheelers, and get rid of GFI's. If you're stupid enough to drag something with a cord into the shower or a swimming pool, you don't need to reproduce and you damn sure don't need to vote.

Not sure how this is anyone's business but theirs. However, given who they are and their attitudes, not breeding is doing the whole world a favor.

Now obviously, that does not pertain to everyone who wants to live without children.

LIBERALS not breeding benefits the world.

The rest of us do need to have at least a couple kids to help take care of us when we're old.

If you don't want kids, then that is your decision, not anyone else's, nor is it anyone else's business.

If america is so pro family values we could use an economic system that doesn't chew up human beings and families.

Nothing at all
I disagree. You cant know because you have no clue. You just said you purposely chose not to have any.

"

Source

What businesses is it of yours if people wish to start a family or not? Hint: It isn't.
Its no ones business but yours. I think the OP is just discussing the topic.

Nothing at all
I disagree. You cant know because you have no clue. You just said you purposely chose not to have any.

Yeah and I don't know anyone with kids right?

All my friends have children, my sister and all my cousins have children, most people have children so yes I know exactly what I'm missing and it's nothing

Nothing at all

All my friends have children, my sister and all my cousins have children, most people have children so yes I know exactly what I'm missing and it's nothing
Thats like saying you have a Black friend. You still dont know unless you experience the drama of having to care for a child from birth and watch them grow. Its not the same as watching someone else do it.

Nothing at all

Thats like saying you have a Black friend. You still dont know unless you experience the drama of having to care for a child from birth and watch them grow. Its not the same as watching someone else do it.

says you.

Nothing at all

says you.
Thats right. Says me who has 3 kids and just took on a 4th officially.

Nothing at all

says you.
So what?
You want a fucking medal?

says you.
So what?
No thanks. I already have 4 medals but you wouldnt understand that.

says you.
So what?

Sure I do you had kids for some kind of personal validation

says you.
So what?

Sure I do you had kids for some kind of personal validation
Nope. Each of my kids were totally unplanned. See? I told you that you had absolutely no clue.

New Topics

Forum List

Back