Need the old format back

Any way to go back to the old format that was used with tapatalk? This new format is horrible and extremely low functionality on mobile devices.

Think it's bad now? I heard they're going back to the old, old ASCII BBS format of the 1990's. You can only access it by way of a 1200 baud modem on a dialup connection, and with a Telnet client running in Windows 95.

Am I the only one old enough to remember that?

:auiqs.jpg:

Any way to go back to the old format that was used with tapatalk? This new format is horrible and extremely low functionality on mobile devices.

Actually, Tapatalk didn't actually DO much to change the format.. I think MAYBE the biggest downside to mobile for USMB is this problem we have with "nested quotes" (see Announcements on editing).. Because if you pound the Reply button and the reply editor fills up with 25 previous quotes -- it just does not FIT on a mobile screen..

I've looked at the "new format" on mobile and thought it was a lot cleaner than the previous versions -- EXCEPT for this major bug... Version 2.+ of Xenforo is supposedly optimized for mobile over previous versions. Just doesn't support "add-ins" like Tapatalk..

Buy a fucking computer !

Yeah no shit; you can get them for half the price of those ridiculous phones people think they have to have now, then surf the innernutz on little 4 inch screens and tiny lil buttons. The current format isn't much different than the old, except slightly faster some of the time.

Think it's bad now? I heard they're going back to the old, old ASCII BBS format of the 1990's. You can only access it by way of a 1200 baud modem on a dialup connection, and with a Telnet client running in Windows 95.

No...

I got my start in BBSing, in the early 1980s, using a homemade 300-bps modem, connected to my Apple ][. I interfaced it to the joystick port, and wrote a terminal program in 6502 assembly, which included subroutines for polling the input that I was using as the main data input, and when a start bit was detected, it had loops to read in a bit every 1⁄300 of a second. I didn't use any interrupts, so I had to write the whole program in such a way as to guarantee that it would never go longer than 1⁄300 of a second without checking for an incoming start bit. A similar subroutine sent output using a similar method, using timing loops to send one bit every 1⁄300 of a second.

As scrolling the screen on the Apple ][ took longer than 1⁄300 of a second, I wrote my own scrolling routine that would scroll one line, starting at the top, poll the input, scroll the next line, check the input again, and so on, until it got to the bottom. It produced an interesting rippling visual effect when the screen scrolled.

An outer layer of the program, written in BASIC, handled dialing. It used another output on the joystick port to control the hood switch, to “pick up the phone” with the modem, to “hang up” and, by pulsing the switch in the proper manner, to dial a number by emulating the action of an old-fashioned rotary pulse dial.

Yeah, but this one is 17 cents a month cheaper per month.

That's a savings of 17 cents a month. That savings is passed right along to us, the consumers of this free message board.

Pfrt.

I just learned how to get cheetos out of my key board.

Pfrt.

I just learned how to get cheetos out of my key board.

1601992788549.png

Damn place keeps wanting to put cookies in mine.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

you usually can't "go back" on forums. that period has passed and yea, i find a LOT of problems on mobile devices here. harder to get to POST REPLY at times (have to slide way off to the side to get rid of the moving menu bar crap in your way), reactions are not as useful now, and the embedded quotes that become war and peace make this near non usable at times and has impacted how much i come out and reply.

then again, my not posting in here as much likely makes a few people happy.

Buy a fucking computer !
Have a computer but spend a lot of time out of town and can't lug the tower, monitors, keyboard etc with me lol...

Don't want to spend the money on a laptop..

And

Its my party and ill cry if I want to!

:p

you usually can't "go back" on forums. that period has passed and yea, i find a LOT of problems on mobile devices here. harder to get to POST REPLY at times (have to slide way off to the side to get rid of the moving menu bar crap in your way), reactions are not as useful now, and the embedded quotes that become war and peace make this near non usable at times and has impacted how much i come out and reply.

then again, my not posting in here as much likely makes a few people happy.
I've gotten around it by typing my reply in the notepad, then copy and paste it to the forum reply box. It helps but is still a chore sometimes.

it's so bad on the phone that it is nearly useless....it jumps...changes screens...freezes up....doesn't respond to the correct prompt....so on and so forth and the text justification often needs ten or fifteen edits so it doesn't look like third grade scribble.

Forum List

Back