Need some help

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
So I have a tri level house. My bedroom is on the third floor. In my bathroom, right in front of the sink, it is wet. I figure I have a leak, but don't know how to go about it.
I can't see any signs of a leak under the bathroom in the bottom floor but it is getting worse.
Any ideas on how to handle this?

So I have a tri level house. My bedroom is on the third floor. In my bathroom, right in front of the sink, it is wet. I figure I have a leak, but don't know how to go about it.
I can't see any signs of a leak under the bathroom in the bottom floor but it is getting worse.
Check all the connections under the sink to see if water is finding it's way out.

Or do the unthinkable, call a plumber you can't afford.

look at the pipes underneath the sink. IF the water is not visible, take a paper towel edge and slowly slide it up and down the pipes if there is water it will absorb it and you can see it. IF it is not on the supply pipes, move to the drainpipes. Turn on some water and let it run while you look at it and run the paper towel on these pipes.

IF it's not on the exposed pipes or sink call a plumber. Get it fixed before the floor warps or worse.

If there is no dripping that you can see, then it's your water input lines under the floor.

75% of sink leaks are in the seal between the basin and the drain. This is usually not really a problem unless you let water sit in the the sink with the drain closed.

The water is coming from the cold water line in the sink. There is a little bit off water around it

I turned that line off. I left the hot water side on.

What is the weather like? Since you are up on the top floor, it could be condensation on the pipes and that just runs down to the floor.

Try wrapping some dry towels around the pipes for a day or overnight.
If the towels are wet the next day and the floor is dry, then it's condensation, and you just need to be on the lookout for water damage on the floor, so it doesn't leak down to the next floor.

If they are dry, then you have a small leak somewhere and need to have a professional come look for it.

/——-/ When peeing, try aiming better.
No need to thank me, I’m here to help.

IF they used the rubberized flex line to the valve be sure to check the line well. pinholes form on these things. IF it's a plastic line check the compression fittings and tighten if necessary. Be sure to brace the valve when tightening so you don't break piping. You may remove the line, wrap with plumbers' tape, and reassemble.

A pic of what you have would help greatly..

The water is coming from the cold water line in the sink. There is a little bit off water around it
Is it coming from around the shut off (the valve at the wall) or from where it feeds into the faucet? If it's the feed valve (shut off) then the valve needs to be replaced, if the faucet then check the connection to the faucet to make sure it's tight. If it's tight then either the rubber gasket has gone bad or the connect (in the faucet) is shot and you need a whole new faucet.

Last edited:
It'd have to be a pretty old house to have a valve with packing in it.
I've only seen them one time in a cabin at our weekend place and it was built at the end of WW2.
I used common terminology in the hopes of locating the leak. Newer valves use newer technology and not too many know it. You can still tighten the core and stop the leak. It's no more than a glorified compression fitting. You must be sure the valve is open or you will destroy it.

I used common terminology in the hopes of locating the leak. Newer valves use newer technology and not too many know it. You can still tighten the core and stop the leak. It's no more than a glorified compression fitting. You must be sure the valve is open or you will destroy it.

I was shocked at how long the rope packing lasted when I replaced it. I was even more shocked that the local hardware store actually had it in stock.
It's kinda like the packing on a prop shaft seal otherwise known as a packing gland.

First place to look is where the drain pipe connects to the wall. There is a big nut there (possibly under an escutcheon) with a nylon bushing that keeps the inner pipe from leaking back into the room as it feeds water to the house drain. That might be leaking there, running down the wall onto your floor. Also feel around the J-bend and supply lines for any wetness.

You can also dry everything up then lay down some paper towels flat. As soon as any water reappears, you'll see the wet stain.

Forum List

Back