Need help filing out your tax return? Don't call the IRS

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
They have had 6 years to prepare for this democrat caused clusterf... Thanks Obama your legacy is now complete.

Need help filing out your tax return Don t call the IRS - Yahoo News

WASHINGTON (AP) — Filing a federal tax return is about to get more complicated for millions of families because of President Barack Obama's health law. But they shouldn't expect much help from the Internal Revenue Service.

Got a question for the IRS? Good luck reaching someone by phone. The tax agency says only half of the 100 million people expected to call this year will be able to reach a person.

Callers who do get through may have to wait on hold for 30 minutes or more to talk to someone who will answer only the simplest questions.

Related Stories

1. Get Ready for the Most Miserable Tax Filing Season Ever The Fiscal Times
  2. IRS says tax filing season to start Jan. 20Associated Press
  3. Quiet year in terms of tax changes, but ACA provides twist Associated Press
  4. [$$] Affordable Care Act Creates a Trickier Tax Season The Wall Street Journal
  5. IRS Says Tax-Filing Season Will Start On Time in 2015 The Wall Street Journal

They do offer books on how to do taxes, but they have never allowed you to call them for tax advice or form preparation..

I've never called the IRS, I just read how to do it...

They do offer books on how to do taxes, but they have never allowed you to call them for tax advice or form preparation..

I have a new tactic.

I fill the form out until it stumps me, stop there, and then write an explanation, and a check for the highest amount I think I could possibly owe.

I have done this twice, and got refunds for overpayment both times.

Beats paying $350 or so of a refund just to get your own money back.

Actually, they never gave tax advice but they do advise on what forms when asked

I have a new tactic.

I fill the form out until it stumps me, stop there, and then write an explanation, and a check for the highest amount I think I could possibly owe.

I have done that when there was interest and penalties involved.....when I file for extensions. The formula for figuring out interest and penalties is almost impossible to figure out.

I have a new tactic.

I have done that when there was interest and penalties involved.....when I file for extensions. The formula for figuring out interest and penalties is almost impossible to figure out.
I do wonder how they come up with those calculations, but I was never into accounting that much...

I have a new tactic.

I do wonder how they come up with those calculations, but I was never into accounting that much...
it can get very complicated...especially when you are a business owner as I was. My income was not constant. Yes, I took a basic salary and submitted a w-2....but I also took monthly distributions that are reflected in my K-1 and those distributions were not equal...so for arguments sake, I may take more in January than I do the subsequent December....so I need to pay interest on each quarters distributions based on when those distributions were taken and how much they were.....pain in the ass to say the least.
The IRS, however, charges you nothing to calculate for you when you submit your return. They simply send you a bill after they receive and review your return.

I have a new tactic.

It is the state form that gives me Hell.

I usually can handle the Federal.

Since they know everything you make, legally at least, anyway, they could save a lot of money(H&R Block et al would never allow it)
if they just eliminated all the deductions and credits, etc, completely, and sent us a reasonable bill each year, or, even each quarter.

I have a new tactic.

Since they know everything you make, legally at least, anyway, they could save a lot of money(H&R Block et al would never allow it)
if they just eliminated all the deductions and credits, etc, completely, and sent us a reasonable bill each year, or, even each quarter.
You should see the one from Missouri, they have so many rules it's makes you dizzy, until you get the PC version software and fill it out...

I have a new tactic.

You should see the one from Missouri, they have so many rules it's makes you dizzy, until you get the PC version software and fill it out...

The calculation of taxes should not be a financial burden to the taxpayer.

I did my own from 16 to my late 50's, and then it got too complicated.

I paid to get it done, but always hated it, so now, I just guesstimate, and let them figure it out.

That should be an option, up at the top.

Just check You Figure It Out!!!

Yeah, our tax code was SO simple before President Obama was elected.

It was so easy that everyone just figured their taxes on a bar napkin.

Darn that President Obama.

:rolleyes:

I did mine for years as well.....I had my accountant do my corporate, and they I did the personal. But like you, I finally gave up and thank God I did. I was not aware that there were income thresholds for deductions. I bet most aren't aware. For example, if your AGI is above 300K, the 10% rule kicks in for most of your deductions.....like medical expenses.....you can only deduct medical expenses that exceeded 10% of your income....so if you made 300K and your medical expenses were 31K, you can only deduct the 1K. If you made 299K and your medical expenses were 31K, you get to deduct all 31K....giving you reason to prefer making 299K as opposed to 330K.

I like the idea of the fair tax (VAT tax)...tax on what you consume....not what you make.

I did mine for years as well.....I had my accountant do my corporate, and they I did the personal. But like you, I finally gave up and thank God I did. I was not aware that there were income thresholds for deductions. I bet most aren't aware. For example, if your AGI is above 300K, the 10% rule kicks in for most of your deductions.....like medical expenses.....you can only deduct medical expenses that exceeded 10% of your income....so if you made 300K and your medical expenses were 31K, you can only deduct the 1K. If you made 299K and your medical expenses were 31K, you get to deduct all 31K....giving you reason to prefer making 299K as opposed to 330K.

I like the idea of the fair tax (VAT tax)...tax on what you consume....not what you make.
I don't mind the income tax.

But, it should be simple, easy to calculate, free from all deductions and exemptions, and applicable to all earned income only.

It should not matter how many kids you have, if you are married or not, whether your kids are retards or your parents blind.

Rates should be low, and the taxes for running the government efficiently, not for punishing the successful to feed the losers.

I don't mind the income tax.

But, it should be simple, easy to calculate, free from all deductions and exemptions, and applicable to all earned income only.

It should not matter how many kids you have, if you are married or not, whether your kids are retards or your parents blind.

Rates should be low, and the taxes for running the government efficiently, not for punishing the successful to feed the losers.
I would be fine with that as well. However, in fairness to the very less fortunate, it should apply to household incomes above a certain level.
No deductions for anything including IRA's, mortgage interest, state tax.
None.
You take your w-2, 1099 and K-1, add them up and multiply by the tax rate. 10 minutes, and you are done with your return.

H&R block would go out of business....but most of their employees are part time anyway.

They have had 6 years to prepare for this democrat caused clusterf... Thanks Obama your legacy is now complete.

Need help filing out your tax return Don t call the IRS - Yahoo News

WASHINGTON (AP) — Filing a federal tax return is about to get more complicated for millions of families because of President Barack Obama's health law. But they shouldn't expect much help from the Internal Revenue Service.

Got a question for the IRS? Good luck reaching someone by phone. The tax agency says only half of the 100 million people expected to call this year will be able to reach a person.

Callers who do get through may have to wait on hold for 30 minutes or more to talk to someone who will answer only the simplest questions.

Related Stories

1. Get Ready for the Most Miserable Tax Filing Season Ever The Fiscal Times
  2. IRS says tax filing season to start Jan. 20Associated Press
  3. Quiet year in terms of tax changes, but ACA provides twist Associated Press
  4. [$$] Affordable Care Act Creates a Trickier Tax Season The Wall Street Journal
  5. IRS Says Tax-Filing Season Will Start On Time in 2015 The Wall Street Journal

Increasing the IRS from 20,000 to over 100,000 workers is paying dividends.

They should make it as efficient as the VA, Health & Human Services, Homeland Security, the Center For Desease Control, and the Department of Motor Vehicles.

I did my business taxes and I did it cause they darn guys at the accounting office want all they receipts..I recorded mine in bookkeeping journals and thought it a hassle when they wouldn't use them instead of actual receipts..I studied law so I was used to the 50 word sentences to describe something or an action that could have only used 10 words..

I did my business taxes and I did it cause they darn guys at the accounting office want all they receipts..I recorded mine in bookkeeping journals and thought it a hassle when they wouldn't use them instead of actual receipts..I studied law so I was used to the 50 word sentences to describe something or an action that could have only used 10 words..
I do all of my daily accounting on quickbooks pro...everything is coded and no receipts necessary....and for audits, I had bank statements showing where each debit and check came from. Never saved paper receipts.

Every year before April 15, several groups do a survey in which they call the IRS some dozen times with questions on pretty straightforward tax issues. They usually get half a dozen different (and often contradictory) answers. All from the IRS!

But if you include one of those wrong answers on your tax returns, they will audit you and penalize you for it.

It's quite a racket. And points out just how confusing the tax code can be.

And that was BEFORE Obamacare was imposed on the country.

Every year before April 15, several groups do a survey in which they call the IRS some dozen times with questions on pretty straightforward tax issues. They usually get half a dozen different (and often contradictory) answers. All from the IRS!

But if you include one of those wrong answers on your tax returns, they will audit you and penalize you for it.

It's quite a racket. And points out just how confusing the tax code can be.
well, actually, they do not penalize you for it. If you make an error and they find it, they calculate the difference and bill you for it. They give you about a month to pay it without penalty.
On the flip side, I once made a mathematical error against myself and they actually CALLED me to inform me of the error and assured me that the difference they OWED me would be sent to me in a timely manner...and it was.

Forum List

Back