Need an idea

This week, every day 3 people bring something to eat for break. My day is Friday and I want to bring something different.
I was thinking about doing some fried grilled cheese sandwiches that ChrisL posted in my meatloaf thread.
I am trying to figure out how to keep the cheese in..lol I guess wrap it up some way.. Maybe use crescent rolls?
I also thought about my chicken salad. I use plain yogurt for the base, sliced pickles, eggs, sliced grapes, apples and sometimes pecans, yellow mustard and a shot of brown mustard. I also shred the chicken. It is REALLY good
Any other ideas?

Because it cooks so fast in the oil, the cheese leaking out shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I agree with others that this is a meal that should be served hot. :)

Here is an interesting recipe you might want to try just for yourself if you liked the grilled cheese idea. I got this recipe while browsing recipes online, and I'm thinking about making it myself.

Frenchees Deep Fried Grilled Cheese

Author: [oh, sweet basil|http://ohsweetbasil.com]
Recipe type: appetizer, entree

Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 4 mins
Total time: 1 hour 4 mins

Serves: 4-8 servings

Holy moly, deep fried grilled cheese
Ingredients
  • 8 Slices Hearty White Bread
  • 6-8 Slices White or Orange American Cheese
  • ½ Cup Mayonnaise
  • 2 Large Eggs, whisked
  • ⅔ Cup Milk
  • 1½ Sleeves Ritz Crackers, crushed into coarse crumbs
  • 3-4 Quarts Oil for Frying (we prefer peanut or canola)
  • Ketchup or honey mustard for serving

Instructions
  1. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
  2. Lay out the bread and on each slice, on only one side of the bread, spread mayonnaise until it has all been used, making it so that the sandwich will have mayonnaise on the top and bottom bread but not on the outside. Add 1½-2 slices of cheese to 4 slices of the bread. Place the lid on, mayonnaise side down.
  3. Cut each sandwich in quarters.
  4. In a pie dish, whisk together the eggs and milk. In another dish add the bread crumbs.
  5. Dredge each quarter in the egg and then the crackers. Place on the cookie sheet and repeat with all sandwiches. Place in the fridge to rest for 1 hour.
  6. Fill a dutch oven ½-3/4 full of oil. Heat over medium high heat. Too low of heat and the breading will just fall off and you'll have soggy sandwiches. Cook 2-4 quarters at a time, about 1-2 minutes per side until golden and the cheese is melted.
  7. Remove from the oil to a paper towel lined plate or a cooling rack over a paper towel lined baking sheet.
  8. Serve with ketchup or we prefer honey mustard.

This week, every day 3 people bring something to eat for break. My day is Friday and I want to bring something different.
I was thinking about doing some fried grilled cheese sandwiches that ChrisL posted in my meatloaf thread.
I am trying to figure out how to keep the cheese in..lol I guess wrap it up some way.. Maybe use crescent rolls?
I also thought about my chicken salad. I use plain yogurt for the base, sliced pickles, eggs, sliced grapes, apples and sometimes pecans, yellow mustard and a shot of brown mustard. I also shred the chicken. It is REALLY good
Any other ideas?

How about chicken breast slices with avocado in a nice roll? with mustard or/and olives?

Get some nice rolls from the bakery instead of supermarket already packed bread rolls

or

smoked salmon slices and avocado.....either choice is very delicious ! :biggrin:

Will walnuts be ok on the French toast? Didn't find any pecans:/

Well, I just threw it in the oven. I will try to post a better pic this time lol

and you put black walnuts into what again...french toast?
black walnuts have a strong flavor....i love them....but some dont
yes. The flavor is strong but I soaked them in butter and brown sugar..
The walnuts were great on it. The recipe was a disaster.
The custard amount wasn't enough and some parts of the bread is like toast. Taste and smell is really good. Presentation, not so much.
My syrup was awesome and very simple.
I didn't get to take a picture. The ladies I work with are like a bunch of starving vultures lol

All in all, I will probably try it again.
Next time I will use either banana nut bread, hawaiin bread or cinnamon raisin bread. And about another cup in a half od custard lol

strollingbones you will appreciate this
I was telling my co-worker I was eying the banana nut bread to make the toast with. She said, "why didn't you use it? Because you thought it would be good?"
LOL

lots of times in the woods we come across black walnuts and there is no more fun than sitting in the shade of the tree and cracking them between rocks...

how the hell did you fuck up french toast? o do tell?

*okay i fucked up the meringue and the prime rib but french toast*
the recipe didn't call for enough custard. I did everything I could to cover as much as possible.
That's a reason why I don't like recipes lol

o you did a casserole....i keep forgetting a work thing you are cooking in the moment....so you went for a break pudding type thing.....heavy cream and eggs?

Forum List

Back