Native American Heritage Month

Despite Frederick Remington's depictions to the contrary, most North American Indians were stone age people whose national sport was killing, torturing or enslaving other Indians. The reasons they flocked to the Spanish missions were for food and protection from other Indians. There was good reason to fear them: They deliberately killed the oxen in the Donner Party and laughed as they starved. Nice.

Wasichu.

I would sit around with my friend, Earle, on a bench down in the cold and wet part of town He called me "Paddy" and I called him "Chief" and we would laugh and share drinks from a brown paper bag and spin yarns; and we'd wait for those unlucky girls with the black mascara tears from failed friday romances who would flood the streets at closing time.

He never celebrated Indian Heritage day but he always relied on me to carry him home on St Pat's.

I remember him. He was "Yak city injun". He wrote this.

Mythology
By Earle Thompson

My grandfather placed wood
in the pot-bellied stove
and sat; he spoke:

"One time your uncle and me
seen some stick-indians
driving in the mountains
they moved alongside
the car and watched us
look at them
they had long black hair
down their backs and were naked
they ran past us."

Grandfather shifted
his weight in the chair.
He explained,
"Stick-indians are powerful people
they come out during the fall.
They will trick little children
who don't listen
into the woods
and can imitate anything
so you should learn
about them."

Grandfather poured himself
some coffee and continued:
"At night you should put tobacco
out for them
and whatever food you got
just give them some
'cause stick-indians
can be vengeful
for people making fun of them.
They can walk through walls
land will stick a salmon up your ass
for laughing at them
this will not happen if you understand
and respect them."

My cousin giggled. I listened and remember
Grandfather slowly sipped his coffee
and smiled at us.
The fire smoldered like a volcano
and crackled.
We finally went to bed. I dreamt
of the mountains and now
I understand my childhood.

(from a chapbook.)

I read it to my son when he was a child.
He still fears the stick people and the bean sidhe...
and nothing else.

Despite Frederick Remington's depictions to the contrary, most North American Indians were stone age people whose national sport was killing, torturing or enslaving other Indians. The reasons they flocked to the Spanish missions were for food and protection from other Indians. There was good reason to fear them: They deliberately killed the oxen in the Donner Party and laughed as they starved. Nice.

Oh. Kinda like how the soldiers laughed when they handed out measle riddled blankets to the elders and the children as they guarded them in their "allotted" place", laughing as they died of the disease? Or laughed as they showed NA's the proper way to scalp? That didn't come from indians. That came from europeans, fighting the inhabitants of THEIR land that was stolen.
I see. Kinda like a quid pro quo. Gotcha.:eusa_whistle:

The point is, for someone like you who always tries to put themselves on a higher moral high ground than the rest of us...

Who's "us," asshole? I was directing my comments to you. Be a man for once in your life and stand on your own two feet.

"Us" is the people you spend hours every day bashing online. I see you doing this, so I had to ask... why is it that someone like you who always tries to put themselves on a higher moral ground than the rest of us, is suddenly fag bashing? Im wondering how you justify your hypocrisy. Would you care to answer the question or are you going to avoid taking responsibility for your actions like its the plague? I think I know the answer. Run and hide troll. :lol:

[Unsure where to post this]

Did you know it was November? That today is Native American Heritage Day?

Do you even care?

So far I've seen very little – if anything – about this online or on air.

My husband is blood brother to a Cheyenne with whom he served in Vietnam. A few years ago he spent several days on the Res with his friend. Are you Chumash, Long Knife? Every time I am riding down Malibu Canyon Road, I can almost feel the spirits of the Chumash there and think about how years ago they might have been wandering in that very same area. The following went on just last month.

Calabasas ranch displays American Indian basketry » Ventura County Star

Until I have a personal DNA test, I'm not certain but was told both of my natural parents were part Cherokee.

Most of the California Indians were excellent basket makers.

[Unsure where to post this]

Did you know it was November? That today is Native American Heritage Day?

Do you even care?

So far I've seen very little – if anything – about this online or on air.

My husband is blood brother to a Cheyenne with whom he served in Vietnam. A few years ago he spent several days on the Res with his friend. Are you Chumash, Long Knife? Every time I am riding down Malibu Canyon Road, I can almost feel the spirits of the Chumash there and think about how years ago they might have been wandering in that very same area. The following went on just last month.

Calabasas ranch displays American Indian basketry » Ventura County Star

Until I have a personal DNA test, I'm not certain but was told both of my natural parents were part Cherokee.

Most of the California Indians were excellent basket makers.
According to census records one great grandparent was full blood, one half and another quarter. Since even Hitchcock doesn't carry shoes in my width I try to get by with 9.5 6Es, which are a bit tight and low in the arch I suspect my ancestors shaded down their Indian ancestry. Contact that shoe store, send in an outline of your feet and they will figure out your shoe size. A bit pricey but a much better fit than I can get anywhere else.

Forum List

Back