National Review: ‘A Year’s Worth of Suicide Attempts in the Last Four Weeks’: California Doctor Calls for End to Lockdown

freedom is a good thing, my friends!

How sad. And it surprised me it is mostly young people. What is it that is causing their despair? Don't give me a trite answer, either.
You know what my take on that is? I think this generation get's told they're "wonderful" way too much! When adversity strikes and life kicks them in the teeth...they don't know how to fight back. Just my two cents worth...
Fight back. Open that business, go to the park, throw the mask away.
pray. do yoga. drink tequila. eat your vitamins. work out.

Uncertainty, no socializing, no money, lack of fresh air and vitamin d.

If those things caused suicide, the video game industry would have gone under decades ago.

View attachment 340509
It does say young adults which I take to mean in their 20’s. Most have outgrown the games.

Seriously? The average age of gamers is 31. The demographic of gamers over the age of 36 is larger than the 18 to 35 group.

Gaming has been an adult industry for a long time.

do yoga. drink tequila

77e40a77f5552955be93d33999bddb06.jpg

How sad. And it surprised me it is mostly young people. What is it that is causing their despair? Don't give me a trite answer, either.
You know what my take on that is? I think this generation get's told they're "wonderful" way too much! When adversity strikes and life kicks them in the teeth...they don't know how to fight back. Just my two cents worth...
Schooling became all about comfort and accepting illegals. Discipline and treating education like business went down the drain
It may not be pleasant when you're on the receiving end of it, Weather but having a parent tell you you're not "special"...to suck it up...get off your butt and get to work...ends up being a life skill that serves one well!

Uncertainty, no socializing, no money, lack of fresh air and vitamin d.

If those things caused suicide, the video game industry would have gone under decades ago.

View attachment 340509
It does say young adults which I take to mean in their 20’s. Most have outgrown the games.

Seriously? The average age of gamers is 31. The demographic of gamers over the age of 36 is larger than the 18 to 35 group.

Gaming has been an adult industry for a long time.
I had no idea. That surprises me.
It did mention some of the reasons were about losing jobs, though.

"Staying at home is taking a toll on our backs and necks" - WSJ Headline

The only people killing thenselves are those who had something and lost it
Libs don’t do much and don’have much and intensely dislike those who do so they don’t care.
Lock em down for libbie safety.
so all the people who killed themselves were conservatives? And notice how fast they were to kill themselves when things went wrong? Couldn’t even go a month without a paycheck?

Being jobless will increase hopelessness and suicide.... exponentially. The marxist Dims shitstains say "suck it twats, we're trying to rig an election here." Never forget how soulless these rodents are.
Maybe after the pandemic is over you’ll have some empathy for our poorest communities. They’ve been dealing with this for decades. You guys can’t even deal with poverty for 1 month

The important question is does a lockdown prevent the spread of the virus....if so...it makes no sense to stop it in order to prevent some suicides.....if the virus spreads then more people will die from that than from suicide. No brainer

To learn to cope with adversity, you gotta face some. But kids with self confidence and self worth actually cope better than kids who never get told they're wonderful. Maybe they're protected too much. But appreciating kids for who they are? That's not a bad thing.

I don't know what has made these kids feel so bad. Lonely, bored, maybe drinking/drugging more than normal -- I'm hearing there's more of that going on, too. That can make depression worse.

To learn to cope with adversity, you gotta face some. But kids with self confidence and self worth actually cope better than kids who never get told they're wonderful. Maybe they're protected too much. But appreciating kids for who they are? That's not a bad thing.

I don't know what has made these kids feel so bad. Lonely, bored, maybe drinking/drugging more than normal -- I'm hearing there's more of that going on, too. That can make depression worse.

It depends. Telling a kid they're wonderful because they rolled out of bed before noon to play Animal Crossing all day is setting a pretty low bar for success.

It depends. Telling a kid they're wonderful because they rolled out of bed before noon to play Animal Crossing all day is setting a pretty low bar for success.
Who the fuck does that? No one. I swear to God you crotchety old bastards are so down on young people and have such a screwed perception of reality that it's pathetic.

With all due respect, Old...there is a difference between being supportive of your children and supporting them no matter what! When you always tell your kids that it's not their fault they fail...that it's always the fault of someone else...you set them up for a life time of thinking that life "owes" them something and that's rarely the case! I grew up in a household with parents that were wonderful loving role models but they were also quite critical when they thought we hadn't done the right thing. I've never had a boss in any job that I've ever had that held me to a higher standard than my father did...something that I now thank him for.

When you always tell your kids that it's not their fault they fail...that it's always the fault of someone else...you set them up for a life time of thinking that life "owes" them something and that's rarely the case!
There are some parents like that, unfortunately. They're not doing their kids any favors. But there have always been parents like that. My parents started teaching in the 1940's. They could tell ya, it's nothing new.

It just seems like a lot of you guys have this skewed stereotypical view of "kids today" and all these dysfunctional parents.....where do you get this idea? I don't see it around me in real life. Certainly, NOTHING a permissive parent can do would cause the kid to want to kill himself. Good glory.

Maybe after the pandemic is over you’ll have some empathy for our poorest communities. They’ve been dealing with this for decades. You guys can’t even deal with poverty for 1 month
Poor people are able to leave their homes and walk into a business if they want. I've been poor.
Don't give me such crap!

Poor people are able to leave their homes and walk into a business if they want. I've been poor.
Don't give me such crap!
What do you mean? I've been able to survive this pandemic just fine. I'm still working. So why should I have any empathy for you and your situation? If your business was shut down or you aren't essential, or whatever reason you are in the economic condition you are in, just like the poor folks in those poor neighborhoods, you are responsible for you my brother. Go out and find a better job, go back to school or start your own business.

Do you know why I say those three things to you? Because this is what conservatives here said during the 2007 Great Recession.

So just like you tell poor blacks in poor communities that have no economic opportunities, pick yourself up by your bootstraps and stop complaining amigo. Comprende?

Forum List

Back