National Parks for the 1%

Your link says prices have been rising.. Some are doing it on their OWN.
The vehicle entrance fee to Acadia National Park would jump 180 percent – from $25 to $70 – next year under a National Park Service proposal already eliciting concerns from some Bar Harbor-area groups and businesses.
The park service says revenue from the price hike it is considering at Acadia and 16 other popular parks during peak tourism season would be used to reduce a backlog in maintenance and infrastructure projects.
At Acadia, which consistently ranks among the top 10 most-visited national parks, the “peak visitor season” would stretch from June 1 to Oct. 31. In addition to per-vehicle costs, entrance fees for individuals would rise from $12 to $30, while the fee for motorcyclists would jump from $20 to $50 during the peak season.
Those fees cover park access for seven days.

This isn't a huge park like Yellowstone where people actually come to camp for a week. A LOT of day visitors. $70 to drive in? I don't think so.
Its a big rise. Thats for sure.
Maybe they really need the funds.
I fail to see why this is worse than raising taxes on everyone.
I always thought our national parks were supposed to be there for the public's enjoyment. No one can afford or would pay $70 to drive into Acadia for an afternoon, or even a day. And why should they have to pay that much for even a week?
It breaks my heart. I hope it won't go through.
NO ONE can afford $70.00? No ONE? Really? That's not even family movie night.

The vehicle entrance fee to Acadia National Park would jump 180 percent – from $25 to $70 – next year under a National Park Service proposal already eliciting concerns from some Bar Harbor-area groups and businesses.
The park service says revenue from the price hike it is considering at Acadia and 16 other popular parks during peak tourism season would be used to reduce a backlog in maintenance and infrastructure projects.
At Acadia, which consistently ranks among the top 10 most-visited national parks, the “peak visitor season” would stretch from June 1 to Oct. 31. In addition to per-vehicle costs, entrance fees for individuals would rise from $12 to $30, while the fee for motorcyclists would jump from $20 to $50 during the peak season.

This isn't a huge park like Yellowstone where people actually come to camp for a week. A LOT of day visitors. $70 to drive in? I don't think so.
I always thought our national parks were supposed to be there for the public's enjoyment. No one can afford or would pay $70 to drive into Acadia for an afternoon, or even a day. And why should they have to pay that much for even a week?
They are. But what if they need money to fix stuff? What if attendance is low? IDK
Im sure they arent doing it to sit back and laugh at the poor people

NO ONE can afford $70.00? No ONE? Really? That's not even family movie night.

I know. Its such a sob story. But then....no one shed any tears when O raised our healthcare premiums by 1000 percent and deductibles by 10000 percent.

The article is very misleading and the OP is a liar. A lot of places are free to drive in but cost to camp.

Nonsense - most of our lesser known National Parks don't get much daily traffic and therefore charge for camping only.

The major, more popular ones do - here is a list:

National Park Fees List | National Parks Blog

There was nothing misleading about the article - NOTHING

Entry Fees Could Double at Some National Parks

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/national-park-service-fee-proposal/index.html

The beat goes on .. Sad :(

America’s Best Idea is now just another commodity. A president who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, as Oscar Wilde had it, wants to make it prohibitively expensive for many to enter the most popular national parks.

You may have missed this, between the indictments, the terrorist attack, the Civil War revisionism. But the Trump administration has proposed nearly tripling the entrance fees to select national parks, to $70.

The man who loves nothing so much as his gold-plated bathroom fixtures wants to gouge people who want to experience something that all of Donald Trump’s minions could never create. It’s a teardrop in the federal budget, but is emblematic of the ocean of wrong coming from this president.

First, we already own these parks — Glacier, Olympic, Mount Rainier, Zion, Yellowstone, the names themselves music to lovers of magic in the natural world. They are a birthright of citizenship.

Second, the Trump administration wants to jack up the price of admission to our most spectacular public lands while moving to cut the Park Service budget by almost $300 million. The new fees would add $70 million. Go figure. His attacks on the parks would be the biggest cut to the agency since World War II.​

Third, he not only wants to make it more costly to get into beloved public places, he also plans to take away land already protected in ways similar to national parks. He told Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah he’s going to shrink two extraordinary national monuments — “for you, Orrin.” It’s a corrupt-sounding gift to a senator, and a giveaway of a public trust. No drain of this swamp.

But this is the Trump ethos. There’s always a velvet rope — coming soon, at the rim of the Grand Canyon — a place for V.I.P.s, deal-makers and insiders, and too bad for everyone else.​

Mucho Mas:

Opinion | National Parks for the 1 Percent
Weird. I doubt is many non-whites go to National Parks. I thought this would be an attack on "white privilege".

The feds have no right to own land, they have no right to deny us access to any of our public lands, and they have no right to prevent us from extracting resources and using our land as we see fit.

Oust them all, the brownshirted pigs.

Trump is returning land obama stole back to the states, as he should.
The Rockefellers gave the first land to the Park. Obama didn't steal anything.
obama, the slime, wasn't around when the Rockefellers gave the FIRST land to the Park. He WAS around to thieve these "parks".

Obama names 2 new national monuments in Utah, Nevada

Obama names Maine's Katahdin Woods as newest national park site

Trump should give the land back to the states.

obama, the slime, wasn't around when the Rockefellers gave the FIRST land to the Park. He WAS around to thieve these "parks".

Half the Republicans in office, including the traitor John McCain, have made a mint brokering uranium deals on those lands.

America’s Best Idea is now just another commodity. A president who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, as Oscar Wilde had it, wants to make it prohibitively expensive for many to enter the most popular national parks.

You may have missed this, between the indictments, the terrorist attack, the Civil War revisionism. But the Trump administration has proposed nearly tripling the entrance fees to select national parks, to $70.

The man who loves nothing so much as his gold-plated bathroom fixtures wants to gouge people who want to experience something that all of Donald Trump’s minions could never create. It’s a teardrop in the federal budget, but is emblematic of the ocean of wrong coming from this president.

First, we already own these parks — Glacier, Olympic, Mount Rainier, Zion, Yellowstone, the names themselves music to lovers of magic in the natural world. They are a birthright of citizenship.

Second, the Trump administration wants to jack up the price of admission to our most spectacular public lands while moving to cut the Park Service budget by almost $300 million. The new fees would add $70 million. Go figure. His attacks on the parks would be the biggest cut to the agency since World War II.​

Third, he not only wants to make it more costly to get into beloved public places, he also plans to take away land already protected in ways similar to national parks. He told Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah he’s going to shrink two extraordinary national monuments — “for you, Orrin.” It’s a corrupt-sounding gift to a senator, and a giveaway of a public trust. No drain of this swamp.

But this is the Trump ethos. There’s always a velvet rope — coming soon, at the rim of the Grand Canyon — a place for V.I.P.s, deal-makers and insiders, and too bad for everyone else.​

Mucho Mas:

Weird. I doubt is many non-whites go to National Parks. I thought this would be an attack on "white privilege".

Trees are racist and they trigger black people.
The Racist Trees of Our National Parks

It is the presence of racist trees that keep parks white.

Cooper's eye on the left: Racist trees keep parks white

Mucho Mas:

Trees are racist and they trigger black people.
The Racist Trees of Our National Parks

It is the presence of racist trees that keep parks white.

Cooper's eye on the left: Racist trees keep parks white
Maybe trees are equated with lynching.

100 years of the National Park Service is enough. Get government out of land monopolization.

Yeah - who the hell needs the word "National" on a F-ing National Park anyway?

Just turn them over to the Koch Brothers and Exxon - they'll take care of 'em!

You don't understand. They already do that. For instance, I'll give you one example. In the early 1900s, JD Rockefeller and his super rich friends bought up a lot of land in Maine. What happened was, they gave all of the surrounding land to the park service. For 'the people' so to speak. But, the people can't stay. They can only pay to visit. And this restricted-access land scheme has been going on ever since by one fat cat or another.

Anyway. I'm likely wasting keystrokes here. Ha.

Mucho Mas:

Gee the far left NYtimes hack site posting material that a far left drone believes without question or hesitation!

They have zero proof, just the far left media will run anything and the far left drones will believe it!

Don't be going and ruining all their awesome debunked fun OL ...

I heard the Obamas stole millions worth of valuable artwork from the White House when they left ...

Read it on Gateway Pundit! :)

Great for Obama!

Forum List

Back