National Parks for the 1%

Keep as much green as possible, as the population grows the concrete expands. I like America the beautiful, everything cant be about money.

Yellowstone could pay you $100 to visit, and MANY people in America STILL couldnt afford to visit.

So many of you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about.

Wild public lands are a great resource for all citizens. A big reason I remain in my high tax state. The amount of sporting opportunities are limitless. The state does a fair job of managing lands for all interests as well, allowing recreation like snomobiling while designating some tracts as "forever wild" wilderness. Plenty of free camping and hiking opportunities and even state or county park rates are very reasonable. The salmon fishing this season was amazing. and thats not even going into the Adirondack park.
map-adirondack.jpg

Adirondack-Park.jpg

sleepingbeauty.jpg

038241d25dddf0eab5fede018bbdaae1.jpg

They used to sell a lifetime pass to any National Park to anyone over 62 for $20

Trump just raised it to $80

The wife and I got ours back in August on the next to last day they were available for $20. I believe the rate hike was announced before Trump even took office. It was one of those things we kept putting off until it was almost too late.

The beat goes on .. Sad :(

America’s Best Idea is now just another commodity. A president who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, as Oscar Wilde had it, wants to make it prohibitively expensive for many to enter the most popular national parks.

You may have missed this, between the indictments, the terrorist attack, the Civil War revisionism. But the Trump administration has proposed nearly tripling the entrance fees to select national parks, to $70.

The man who loves nothing so much as his gold-plated bathroom fixtures wants to gouge people who want to experience something that all of Donald Trump’s minions could never create. It’s a teardrop in the federal budget, but is emblematic of the ocean of wrong coming from this president.

First, we already own these parks — Glacier, Olympic, Mount Rainier, Zion, Yellowstone, the names themselves music to lovers of magic in the natural world. They are a birthright of citizenship.

Second, the Trump administration wants to jack up the price of admission to our most spectacular public lands while moving to cut the Park Service budget by almost $300 million. The new fees would add $70 million. Go figure. His attacks on the parks would be the biggest cut to the agency since World War II.​

Third, he not only wants to make it more costly to get into beloved public places, he also plans to take away land already protected in ways similar to national parks. He told Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah he’s going to shrink two extraordinary national monuments — “for you, Orrin.” It’s a corrupt-sounding gift to a senator, and a giveaway of a public trust. No drain of this swamp.

But this is the Trump ethos. There’s always a velvet rope — coming soon, at the rim of the Grand Canyon — a place for V.I.P.s, deal-makers and insiders, and too bad for everyone else.​

Mucho Mas:

Opinion | National Parks for the 1 Percent

https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/jrnl/2014/nrs_2014_stevens_001.pdf

Now, maybe yellow stone parking will be off the plate for me, but I have rarely paied to enter. As for the rest of the national forest,nation wide, I nust go in when I want to. But as it is no one is going to these parks. No one is paying admission, so how do we pay the guys to keep it clean? Man the gates? Enforce the laws and codes? There has to be money or you will just have to park outside the gate and walk or ski In.

.​

Some National Parks have always been for the rich* ... :thup:

Trunk Bay National Park ... St John, US Virgin Islands
Complete with underwater trail marking points of interest for snorkelers and divers.
Watch out for the black tip sharks and fire coral.

*It is actually free to visit the park ... But you have to get there first.

trunkbaysaintjohnusvi1.jpg

.​

They used to sell a lifetime pass to any National Park to anyone over 62 for $20

The wife and I got ours back in August on the next to last day they were available for $20. I believe the rate hike was announced before Trump even took office. It was one of those things we kept putting off until it was almost too late.
I was pissed

I missed the date by eight months

.​

Some National Parks have always been for the rich* ... :thup:

Trunk Bay National Park ... St John, US Virgin Islands
Complete with underwater trail marking points of interest for snorkelers and divers.
Watch out for the black tip sharks and fire coral.

*It is actually free to visit the park ... But you have to get there first.

trunkbaysaintjohnusvi1.jpg

.​
There are people who already live on St Johns

I know leftarded fucknuggets love to blameTrump for everything in the world, but this has almost nothing to do with Trump. The National Park Service proposed this, not Trump. Sorry to interrupt your Trump bashing with reality.

Fees at 17 popular national parks may soon be rising sharply. On Oct. 24, the National Park Service announced a proposal to begin charging higher peak-season fees for five months per year at some of the country’s most beloved parks, including Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone and Joshua Tree National Park.

The park service said that the increase in funds would be used to address maintenance issues that affect the visitor experience, such as roads, campgrounds and bathrooms.​

America’s Best Idea is now just another commodity. A president who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, as Oscar Wilde had it, wants to make it prohibitively expensive for many to enter the most popular national parks.

You may have missed this, between the indictments, the terrorist attack, the Civil War revisionism. But the Trump administration has proposed nearly tripling the entrance fees to select national parks, to $70.

The man who loves nothing so much as his gold-plated bathroom fixtures wants to gouge people who want to experience something that all of Donald Trump’s minions could never create. It’s a teardrop in the federal budget, but is emblematic of the ocean of wrong coming from this president.

First, we already own these parks — Glacier, Olympic, Mount Rainier, Zion, Yellowstone, the names themselves music to lovers of magic in the natural world. They are a birthright of citizenship.

Second, the Trump administration wants to jack up the price of admission to our most spectacular public lands while moving to cut the Park Service budget by almost $300 million. The new fees would add $70 million. Go figure. His attacks on the parks would be the biggest cut to the agency since World War II.​

Third, he not only wants to make it more costly to get into beloved public places, he also plans to take away land already protected in ways similar to national parks. He told Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah he’s going to shrink two extraordinary national monuments — “for you, Orrin.” It’s a corrupt-sounding gift to a senator, and a giveaway of a public trust. No drain of this swamp.

But this is the Trump ethos. There’s always a velvet rope — coming soon, at the rim of the Grand Canyon — a place for V.I.P.s, deal-makers and insiders, and too bad for everyone else.​

Mucho Mas:

I guessed that they has already created the monuments for this park.

I was pissed

I missed the date by eight months

That sucks. I made it by 11 months, my wife by 19 months. Our problem was getting around to looking up where to buy the pass. Then it turn out we only had to go 15 miles to a Tonto National Forest ranger station in northeast Mesa.

Now, maybe yellow stone parking will be off the plate for me, but I have rarely paied to enter. As for the rest of the national forest,nation wide, I nust go in when I want to. But as it is no one is going to these parks. No one is paying admission, so how do we pay the guys to keep it clean? Man the gates? Enforce the laws and codes? There has to be money or you will just have to park outside the gate and walk or ski In.

Dunno, but their budget was already minuscule and Trump & Zinke are cutting it further:
National Park Service budget less than Austin city budget

I guess White Nationalists will enjoy the change. Perhaps that's what Trump had in mind:
Perspective | Making national parks more expensive will only make them whiter

Other issues:
Top Ten Issues Facing the National Parks -- National Geographic

Saying "no one is going to these parks" is a pretty ridiculous assertion.

And as for claiming you rarely pay to enter Yellowstone, the rate was $30 per car and that will now go to $70. Nobody is driving in for free.
Yellowstone National Park Announces New Entrance Fees Starting June 1 - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

. A president who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, as Oscar Wilde had it, wants to make it prohibitively expensive for many to enter the most popular national parks.

But the Trump administration has proposed nearly tripling the entrance fees to select national parks, to $70.

The man wants to gouge people who want to experience something that all of Donald Trump’s minions could never create.

Glacier, Olympic, Mount Rainier, Zion, Yellowstone, the names themselves music to lovers of magic in the natural world.

Third, he not only wants to make it more costly to get into public places, he also plans to take away land already protected in ways similar to national parks. He told Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah he’s going to shrink two extraordinary national monuments — “for you, Orrin.” It’s a gift to a senator, and a giveaway of a public trust. No drain of this swamp.

Vegetation and Vermin

Nature-lovers have the mindset of dumb savages or pre-human apes. Only misfits who are incapable of developing our natural resources hold a superstitious view of "Mother Nature." Go, Gaia, Go!—go as far away from civilization as your childish escapist fantasies will transport you.

Grand Teton is the SHIT.....holy crap. My favorite range in the west. You drive through GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK to get to YELLOWSTONE on the entrance near Jackson, WY.

People actually climb Grand Teton.

Barns_grand_tetons.jpg

Wow - gorgeous shot. I really need to spend more time over there - haven't been for years. Jackson Hole is only a 5 hour drive from Boise.

mountaintown1.jpg

Your link says prices have been rising.. Some are doing it on their OWN.
The vehicle entrance fee to Acadia National Park would jump 180 percent – from $25 to $70 – next year under a National Park Service proposal already eliciting concerns from some Bar Harbor-area groups and businesses.
The park service says revenue from the price hike it is considering at Acadia and 16 other popular parks during peak tourism season would be used to reduce a backlog in maintenance and infrastructure projects.
At Acadia, which consistently ranks among the top 10 most-visited national parks, the “peak visitor season” would stretch from June 1 to Oct. 31. In addition to per-vehicle costs, entrance fees for individuals would rise from $12 to $30, while the fee for motorcyclists would jump from $20 to $50 during the peak season.
Those fees cover park access for seven days.

This isn't a huge park like Yellowstone where people actually come to camp for a week. A LOT of day visitors. $70 to drive in? I don't think so.
Its a big rise. Thats for sure.
Maybe they really need the funds.
I fail to see why this is worse than raising taxes on everyone.
I always thought our national parks were supposed to be there for the public's enjoyment. No one can afford or would pay $70 to drive into Acadia for an afternoon, or even a day. And why should they have to pay that much for even a week?
It breaks my heart. I hope it won't go through.
NO ONE can afford $70.00? No ONE? Really? That's not even family movie night.
Sports Junkies Kickoff the Addiction

Americans have plenty of extra spending money, having saved on pro-football tickets. Many would rather get eaten by a bear than go see juiced-up wannabe copkillers do a gangsta dance and call it a sport.

Mucho Mas:

Weird. I doubt is many non-whites go to National Parks. I thought this would be an attack on "white privilege".

Trees are racist and they trigger black people.
The Racist Trees of Our National Parks

It is the presence of racist trees that keep parks white.

Cooper's eye on the left: Racist trees keep parks white
Landowners Wanting Chain Gangs Bribed the Judges

Innocent people didn't get lynched at a higher rate than innocents get convicted in court. Besides, such thugs were even more of a threat to their own people, who probably turned them in themselves in order to get rid of them.

Forum List

Back