NASA: We'll find alien life in 10 to 20 years

Y
Indeed, but that is not the issue. The issue is what the reaction would be of religious folk here on Earth to the discovery of extraterrestrial life.
Once again. Why worry about something that will never happen?

Never happen? The odds are in favor of it not only happening, but happening very soon (likely in the next 10-20 years).
You are delusional. You have the same faith that you accuse Christians of having. There is no evidence that life exists anywhere but Earth, but you believe it does. Such faith You have. Lol.

If I am delusional, then so are some of the greatest minds on the planet, because it isn't my prediction. It is theirs. So I am in good company, thank you very much.

Appeal to authority, logic fallacy.

Well, I'd rather appeal to people that have studied this stuff then someone that wants to do away with it all.

Y
Indeed, but that is not the issue. The issue is what the reaction would be of religious folk here on Earth to the discovery of extraterrestrial life.

Never happen? The odds are in favor of it not only happening, but happening very soon (likely in the next 10-20 years).
You are delusional. You have the same faith that you accuse Christians of having. There is no evidence that life exists anywhere but Earth, but you believe it does. Such faith You have. Lol.

If I am delusional, then so are some of the greatest minds on the planet, because it isn't my prediction. It is theirs. So I am in good company, thank you very much.

And how many times have the so-called experts been wrong? I could write a very large book on the subject. Scientists are only human. Why do some people place so much faith in what they say? I won't even go into how much of science is politically motivated. That's the subject of another book.

Y

Well, I'd rather appeal to people that have studied this stuff then someone that wants to do away with it all.
Yeah. We all know that science is your religion. We get it.

Y

And how many times have the so-called experts been wrong? I could write a very large book on the subject. Scientists are only human. Why do some people place so much faith in what they say? I won't even go into how much of science is politically motivated. That's the subject of another book.

When "could have" and "the probability of" turns into reality for people, instead of an educated guess, that is when they are most times wrong.

I heard this ten to twenty years ago. How can you predict such a thing? According to some, we already had contract, hence pyramids, Bermuda triangle and all that other stuff. Who is to say we haven't already...?

The big difference is the fact that we've found over a dozen "habitual planets" and we're about 5-10 years away from having the ability of knowing a lot more about them. We couldn't say the same 20 years ago.
Sorry, I am no genius, but I have heard this promise years ago. Despite that nice post of yours, we are always 10-20 years away from contact. I feel like Charlie Brown perennially getting a chance at that football, only to have it yanked away. No, call me cynical, but if the aliens, Jesus or anyone else wants to contact us, leave a number. I will get back to you.

Contact? We are talking about scientific evidence for the existence of life off our world. We aren't talking about contacting ET. That evidence will likely be in the form of microbes or fossils of microbes, or evidence of metabolic processes indicative of life on worlds such as Mars, Europa, Ganymede, or Enceladus. We have already shown that the conditions for life once existed on Mars (and may still exist at depth), that oceans of liquid water exist on Europa, Ganymede, and Enceledus. The technology we have for detecting life has improved by orders of magnitude in just the last five years. I am sorry you are no genius, but am glad that others who are have been looking closely at this and are disagreeing with your assessment.

Y

Wrong. There are no authorities in science, only experts. And those experts are making this prediction. That is not an appeal to authority. It is a simple fact.

Y

When "could have" and "the probability of" turns into reality for people, instead of an educated guess, that is when they are most times wrong.

So, what are you suggesting, that there is no life anywhere in the universe but right here on Earth? As Carl Sagan once said, if that were the case, "seems like an awful waste of space".

I have confidence that we are going to find life elsewhere, regardless of what form that life takes. And when we do, I suspect many science deniers are going to feel foolish.

Y

And how many times have they been right? Your ability to post your opinion here on the internet is testament to the fact that somebody got it right when the naysayers said it could not be done.

I heard this ten to twenty years ago. How can you predict such a thing? According to some, we already had contract, hence pyramids, Bermuda triangle and all that other stuff. Who is to say we haven't already...?

The big difference is the fact that we've found over a dozen "habitual planets" and we're about 5-10 years away from having the ability of knowing a lot more about them. We couldn't say the same 20 years ago.
Sorry, I am no genius, but I have heard this promise years ago. Despite that nice post of yours, we are always 10-20 years away from contact. I feel like Charlie Brown perennially getting a chance at that football, only to have it yanked away. No, call me cynical, but if the aliens, Jesus or anyone else wants to contact us, leave a number. I will get back to you.

Contact? We are talking about scientific evidence for the existence of life off our world. We aren't talking about contacting ET. That evidence will likely be in the form of microbes or fossils of microbes, or evidence of metabolic processes indicative of life on worlds such as Mars, Europa, Ganymede, or Enceladus. We have already shown that the conditions for life once existed on Mars (and may still exist at depth), that oceans of liquid water exist on Europa, Ganymede, and Enceledus. The technology we have for detecting life has improved by orders of magnitude in just the last five years. I am sorry you are no genius, but am glad that others who are have been looking closely at this and are disagreeing with your assessment.
In that case we agree. We find a microbe on Ganyemede. It's a slam dunk that someone somewhere WILL find life. No argument there, But so far, not even a microbe dare rear it's slimy head and say howdy. Nothing. Always 10 to 20 years away.

In that case we agree. We find a microbe on Ganyemede. It's a slam dunk that someone somewhere WILL find life. No argument there, But so far, not even a microbe dare rear it's slimy head and say howdy. Nothing. Always 10 to 20 years away.

That is true, but then, we haven't been looking directly for them. What we have been doing is characterizing the environments on these worlds to determine if they are capable of supporting life. And while we have been doing that, we have been looking very closely at life here on our own planet to determine the types of environments here that are capable of supporting life. And what we have found in that search is that life is capable of surviving in many extreme environments that were previously thought impossible to support life. Nearly everywhere we've looked for life on Earth, we have found it. So we are now ready to look more directly at other worlds to see if life actually exists on them. And that is why our experts are saying that it won't be long now. We now have very precise technology for looking directly for life, and now know what to look for and, perhaps, where.

Ok, it not a matter of IF, but when. And that might never happen, given our sorry geo political state sans technology issue. This is a gamble. And I won't hold my breath, put it that way, friend. It's just ten or twenty years away. Flying cars, cold fusion, always sorta but not quite.

Ok, it not a matter of IF, but when. And that might never happen, given our sorry geo political state sans technology issue. This is a gamble. And I won't hold my breath, put it that way, friend. It's just ten or twenty years away. Flying cars, cold fusion, always sorta but not quite.

I don't think politics is going to affect our chances much, since it is one of NASA's top priorities. The missions are already in the works, some are in the construction phase. It's going to happen.

I don't think politics is going to affect our chances much, since it is one of NASA's top priorities. The missions are already in the works, some are in the construction phase. It's going to happen.

This is why we need to elect Moderates that give a damn about our countries position in the world. We shouldn't have to be on the knife edge from a bunch of assholes taking apart our science infrastructure in the greatest country in the world.

This is why we need to elect Moderates that give a damn about our countries position in the world. We shouldn't have to be on the knife edge from a bunch of assholes taking apart our science infrastructure in the greatest country in the world.

I think that putting Ted Cruz in the chairmanship of the committee which overseas NASA is like putting Gilligan in charge of the Titanic. How crazy is that? The man hasn't a clue.

That is true, but then, we haven't been looking directly for them. What we have been doing is characterizing the environments on these worlds to determine if they are capable of supporting life. And while we have been doing that, we have been looking very closely at life here on our own planet to determine the types of environments here that are capable of supporting life. And what we have found in that search is that life is capable of surviving in many extreme environments that were previously thought impossible to support life. Nearly everywhere we've looked for life on Earth, we have found it. So we are now ready to look more directly at other worlds to see if life actually exists on them. And that is why our experts are saying that it won't be long now. We now have very precise technology for looking directly for life, and now know what to look for and, perhaps, where.
They won't find anything, because life was created by God. The Bible doesn't mention life on other worlds, so it probably doesn't exist. This is where you call me religious nut. Go right ahead. I can take it.

As extreme as Obama is I'll just say that at least he gives a damn about maintaining America. These people whine about how he is taking apart this country but they're the ones that will do exactly that.

The American people need their nws, noaa, usgs, cdc, fda, nasa, jpl, epa, nsf and funds for infrastructure or we will be a hurting unit. Reagan would be wondering why these people are using his name as he would be opposed and sicken by their line of thinking. Sure, he believed in the private sector and so do I, but this extreme belief that everything is better with it is simply wrong.

He started the program that built the international space station, etc. Conservatives of goldwater times would of wondered why the social conservative movement has jointed hips with such fools today. These people of the 50's and 60's believed science and tech development was part of what made us a great power....Yes, the conservatives.

This is why I like the 50's ;)

They won't find anything, because life was created by God. The Bible doesn't mention life on other worlds, so it probably doesn't exist. This is where you call me religious nut. Go right ahead. I can take it.

And this is the kind of thing we've been talking about here. You say you can take it, but I suspect when they do find life elsewhere, your beliefs are going to take a huge hit. Are you prepared for that?

And this is the kind of thing we've been talking about here. You say you can take it, but I suspect when they do find life elsewhere, your beliefs are going to take a huge hit. Are you prepared for that?
It's never gonna happen. I'd bet anything on that, including my life.

It's never gonna happen. I'd bet anything on that, including my life.
You just don't want us to find them. ;)
LOL!!! you can't find something that doesn't exist. But you're welcome to try. Good luck with that. You'll need it.

Forum List

Back