NASA: We'll find alien life in 10 to 20 years

The odds that brought life to Earth are fantastically large against.

They could find life on the Moon and maybe Mars, we left it there.

One has to ask, why is Earth covered with water and Mars is not. Where did the water come from?

Uh, Mars WAS once covered with water.

Marsology 101.

Actually, it may have been.

It was. Time to terraform.
Terra form and move a few million people to mars. This way humanity is stronger and less likely to be wiped out.

We still have far too many people on this planet who would rather blow each other up than reach for the stars.

Some of them sadly are posting in this thread. They really believe humanity should go back to goat herding and do what the Taliban does. I find it disgusting. One of the reasons I didn't like interstellar is it reminded me just how fucked my species really is as most of the world just chose to stay in die on this little planet rather then do a damn thing to save our own ass. Sadly, If the shit hit the fan it wouldn't be like start trek but this movie. That makes me angry as we could do so much better.
There are many people who don't want us to find alien life, and they have a lot of influence.

I keep hearing this. The "The Men in Black" story in my opinion. What better way to make circumstantial evidence sound more believable if someone, unnamed and unknown comes pays you a visit and tell you to shut up. Of course you don't and nothing happens so I suspect this is just part of the story line.

I am not arguing with you but why would they not want us to know? Fear? They, they being those who are really in control apparently, like to use fear as a means of control. What do you think is their motive?

Believe me I am not arguing but I have come down to where I want REAL pictures not blurry BS pictures. I want a track in the ground. I want something tangible.
The people who have the most to lose are religious leaders. This isn't an anti-religion rant, it's just a point. Finding life - especially some kind of sentient life - on another planet would at least shake the faith of many people. They would need to re-calibrate their entire, deeply-held worldview, and that may or may not work out well.

The mostly likely scientific scenario, I'd think, is that we're ultimately going to find of microbic life flourishing in several places within our own solar system. Religion will have to explain that and the very high probability of life elsewhere. I'd think faith can be a shaky thing, and that adds a pretty hefty measure of risk to the faith equation.

I have heard this also but do you really think with our government it is driven by religion? Think about when the white man first settled the Americas, it didn't shake their belief system in the least to run into some native Americans.

Never the less that is not proof of anything, most of all that we are not alone. We may actually be "it."

Native Americans do not live on another planet. So your analogy is meaningless.

Some of them sadly are posting in this thread. They really believe humanity should go back to goat herding and do what the Taliban does. I find it disgusting. One of the reasons I didn't like interstellar is it reminded me just how fucked my species really is as most of the world just chose to stay in die on this little planet rather then do a damn thing to save our own ass. Sadly, If the shit hit the fan it wouldn't be like start trek but this movie. That makes me angry as we could do so much better.
There are many people who don't want us to find alien life, and they have a lot of influence.

I keep hearing this. The "The Men in Black" story in my opinion. What better way to make circumstantial evidence sound more believable if someone, unnamed and unknown comes pays you a visit and tell you to shut up. Of course you don't and nothing happens so I suspect this is just part of the story line.

I am not arguing with you but why would they not want us to know? Fear? They, they being those who are really in control apparently, like to use fear as a means of control. What do you think is their motive?

Believe me I am not arguing but I have come down to where I want REAL pictures not blurry BS pictures. I want a track in the ground. I want something tangible.
The people who have the most to lose are religious leaders. This isn't an anti-religion rant, it's just a point. Finding life - especially some kind of sentient life - on another planet would at least shake the faith of many people. They would need to re-calibrate their entire, deeply-held worldview, and that may or may not work out well.

The mostly likely scientific scenario, I'd think, is that we're ultimately going to find of microbic life flourishing in several places within our own solar system. Religion will have to explain that and the very high probability of life elsewhere. I'd think faith can be a shaky thing, and that adds a pretty hefty measure of risk to the faith equation.

I have heard this also but do you really think with our government it is driven by religion? Think about when the white man first settled the Americas, it didn't shake their belief system in the least to run into some native Americans.

Never the less that is not proof of anything, most of all that we are not alone. We may actually be "it."

Why do you think they called it the "New World?"

Encountering Native Americans didn't shake the belief system of Europeans because they were the invaders. On the other hand, it destroyed many Native American religions and cultures.

Encountering Native Americans didn't shake the belief system of Europeans because they were the invaders. On the other hand, it destroyed many Native American religions and cultures.

And if there were life on Mars and one of our rovers took a virus with it that killed the natives, we would be accused of doing the same.

And if there were life on Mars and one of our rovers took a virus with it that killed the natives, we would be accused of doing the same.

Indeed, but that is not the issue. The issue is what the reaction would be of religious folk here on Earth to the discovery of extraterrestrial life.

Indeed, but that is not the issue. The issue is what the reaction would be of religious folk here on Earth to the discovery of extraterrestrial life.

the reaction would be one of interest in my opinion, nothing would change.

The Indians were doing that to themselves, before anyone arrived on the scene.

Once again. Why worry about something that will never happen?

The Indians were doing that to themselves, before anyone arrived on the scene.

What? Erm, no. Before Europeans arrived, native American cultures were thriving.

Never happen? The odds are in favor of it not only happening, but happening very soon (likely in the next 10-20 years).

Y

Never happen? The odds are in favor of it not only happening, but happening very soon (likely in the next 10-20 years).
You are delusional. You have the same faith that you accuse Christians of having. There is no evidence that life exists anywhere but Earth, but you believe it does. Such faith You have. Lol.

I heard this ten to twenty years ago. How can you predict such a thing? According to some, we already had contract, hence pyramids, Bermuda triangle and all that other stuff. Who is to say we haven't already...?

Y

You are delusional. You have the same faith that you accuse Christians of having. There is no evidence that life exists anywhere but Earth, but you believe it does. Such faith You have. Lol.

If I am delusional, then so are some of the greatest minds on the planet, because it isn't my prediction. It is theirs. So I am in good company, thank you very much.

I heard this ten to twenty years ago. How can you predict such a thing? According to some, we already had contract, hence pyramids, Bermuda triangle and all that other stuff. Who is to say we haven't already...?

The big difference is the fact that we've found over a dozen "habitual planets" and we're about 5-10 years away from having the ability of knowing a lot more about them. We couldn't say the same 20 years ago.

The big difference is the fact that we've found over a dozen "habitual planets" and we're about 5-10 years away from having the ability of knowing a lot more about them. We couldn't say the same 20 years ago.
Sorry, I am no genius, but I have heard this promise years ago. Despite that nice post of yours, we are always 10-20 years away from contact. I feel like Charlie Brown perennially getting a chance at that football, only to have it yanked away. No, call me cynical, but if the aliens, Jesus or anyone else wants to contact us, leave a number. I will get back to you.

Y

If I am delusional, then so are some of the greatest minds on the planet, because it isn't my prediction. It is theirs. So I am in good company, thank you very much.

Appeal to authority, logic fallacy.

Forum List

Back